"GT350" facelift is finally done on our 2017 GT

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
first off my intent was not to make a clone gt350... altho it might appear like i did so. this is not or ever will b a gt350... my intent is to make a better then a gt350...maybe in the direction of a FP350s (we shall see) .... or at least a car with a working reliable engine that looks way more aggressive. (oooooOO i said it)
But like i said in the video ... i believe that the GT350 look was the original design of the mustang and they had to dumb it down for us lowly yokels.
Supper easy to do.... if i would venture a guess ...one could get this look for less then $4k if you shopped around.

Sponsored

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
It always seemed to me that ford makes the car look kinda soft in the first iteration and then gets a sharper look for the mid cycle refresh. It’s been especially true for sn95 and s197 platforms. But with the current gen it seemed (to me at least) like the refresh was just as soft looking and barely different enough to notice. In fact gas station clerks keep asking if mines an 18-20. Apparently the non owners can’t tell the difference. Now the special edition cars have looked amazing. The mustang rocket for example. I mean damn.

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
i believe that the GT350 look was the original design of the mustang and they had to dumb it down for us lowly yokels
they interview the designer of the S550 in the documentary A Faster Horse which details the tail end of the sixth generation creation. The 15 was one cohesive (albeit derivative) image. The fascia looks a lot more like the last gen than a 350 imo

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
i believe that the GT350 look was the original design of the mustang and they had to dumb it down for us lowly yokels.

You can have your beliefs however here are the FACTS. You've done something pretty remarkable so when I say I don't want you to sound silly online, I truly sincerely mean it. The design platform actually dates back to the 2011 Ford Evos concept which was the primary design language for Ford cars and crossovers starting in 2014 and up. Much of the GT350 design was found in the wind tunnel AFTER the S550 was designed. The GT350 started up around the time the '13 GT500 hit dealership floors. First priority was the engine and Ford bought a 458 Italia to reverse engineer the powerplant and benchmark. There were 3 main body designs that Ford was toying with in 2013 and 2014 and none we finalized until around late to early 2015. See Nurburgring videos. In the world of mass production that Ford lives in designers and art departments typically win and then engineers get what the get and have to work with it. Nothing ever gets dumbed down, always clawed and war panted up. Example, the engineers wanted a hood vent similar to the current GT500 but the designers squashed it and won and what we got was a sliver instead of a real extracting hood.

There's also no need for the GT350's design until it's needed. Remember there are bean counters on ever corner looking to stop engineers from spending money. The front fascia is there to accommodate airflow. The grill openings on the lower left and right of the fascia are there to accommodate the transmission and primary oil cooler for the Track Pack cars. The front fender vent is there to extract wheel well pressure and hot vented brakes. The "fangs" that protrude to just a divot in the top section of the grill weren't needed until it was found that there was a drag problem with that newly designed grill and are there to create a high pressure zone to redirect air around that fascia. The fenders were flared out to accommodate the new wider front track of the wheels and tires. The hood was lowered to decrease drag but also allow airflow to move more cleanly around the cockpit. None of this was necessary nor would fly through accounting until the Voodoo engine had some prototypes. Basically, Ford didn't know the direction of the GT350 design until about 2 years after the S550 main design was signed off on.

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You can have your beliefs however here are the FACTS. You've done something pretty remarkable so when I say I don't want you to sound silly online, I truly sincerely mean it. The design platform actually dates back to the 2011 Ford Evos concept which was the primary design language for Ford cars and crossovers starting in 2014 and up. Much of the GT350 design was found in the wind tunnel AFTER the S550 was designed. The GT350 started up around the time the '13 GT500 hit dealership floors. First priority was the engine and Ford bought a 458 Italia to reverse engineer the powerplant and benchmark. There were 3 main body designs that Ford was toying with in 2013 and 2014 and none we finalized until around late to early 2015. See Nurburgring videos. In the world of mass production that Ford lives in designers and art departments typically win and then engineers get what the get and have to work with it. Nothing ever gets dumbed down, always clawed and war panted up. Example, the engineers wanted a hood vent similar to the current GT500 but the designers squashed it and won and what we got was a sliver instead of a real extracting hood.

There's also no need for the GT350's design until it's needed. Remember there are bean counters on ever corner looking to stop engineers from spending money. The front fascia is there to accommodate airflow. The grill openings on the lower left and right of the fascia are there to accommodate the transmission and primary oil cooler for the Track Pack cars. The front fender vent is there to extract wheel well pressure and hot vented brakes. The "fangs" that protrude to just a divot in the top section of the grill weren't needed until it was found that there was a drag problem with that newly designed grill and are there to create a high pressure zone to redirect air around that fascia. The fenders were flared out to accommodate the new wider front track of the wheels and tires. The hood was lowered to decrease drag but also allow airflow to move more cleanly around the cockpit. None of this was necessary nor would fly through accounting until the Voodoo engine had some prototypes. Basically, Ford didn't know the direction of the GT350 design until about 2 years after the S550 main design was signed off on.
Thanks for info. It’s always interesting to learn the how and why behind these cars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wrongwayup

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

thank you for the info and the compliment ! I'm always looking for info and being corrected is much appreciated..
BUT the hood lines and the roof lines do not match up on the GT but they do for the GT350... to me that seems like an oversight not corrected till the 350 came out. and that is what i was going on.... on most cars when a designer starts a crease line they keep in from one panel to another...not start a new one on the next panel 3 inches off ...continuity and what not

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Body work is nicely done. Let it be said that “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery “ you took some great cues from the GT350 and made it your own.. Now make it even better.

1. 8in digital cluster from 18 Bullitt or 18-20
  2. Larger breaks Brembos all around with cross drilled rotors
  3. Quad tip active exhaust
  4. Full katzkin leather interior
The sky is the limit!

OP
OP
wrongwayup

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Body work is nicely done. Let it be said that “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery “ you took some great cues from the GT350 and made it your own.. Now make it even better.

1. 8in digital cluster from 18 Bullitt or 18-20
  2. Larger breaks Brembos all around with cross drilled rotors
  3. Quad tip active exhaust
  4. Full katzkin leather interior
The sky is the limit!

brembos will be the next thing on the list...

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Shoot your son can probably drive manual better than I can.
1 suggestion, replacement turn signals like the opt7 or the morimoto ones. I think itll synergize with ur headlights really well!

Yeah, I dont like those lug nuts at all

OP
OP
wrongwayup

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Shoot your son can probably drive manual better than I can.
1 suggestion, replacement turn signals like the opt7 or the morimoto ones. I think itll synergize with ur headlights really well!

Yeah, I dont like those lug nuts at all
lol...ah crap...more stuff to buy

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
thank you for the info and the compliment ! I'm always looking for info and being corrected is much appreciated..
BUT the hood lines and the roof lines do not match up on the GT but they do for the GT350... to me that seems like an oversight not corrected till the 350 came out. and that is what i was going on.... on most cars when a designer starts a crease line they keep in from one panel to another...not start a new one on the next panel 3 inches off ...continuity and what not

There were a ton of body panel alignment issues in the first few runs.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Overall, I like it.So far I think you've done a great job. I love the GT350 hood, front end, and fenders. I don't care much for the Shelby chin splitter, one because it has "Shelby" on it, and two, it just needs to be a little larger like the PP1 splitter. I also think the pony would look better on the steering wheel instead of the snake.
You'll love the Brembo brakes when you get them on, and I'm interested in what your suspension mods are going to be.
Looking forward to your future mods.

OP
OP
wrongwayup

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Overall, I like it.So far I think you've done a great job. I love the GT350 hood, front end, and fenders. I don't care much for the Shelby chin splitter, one because it has "Shelby" on it, and two, it just needs to be a little larger like the PP1 splitter. I also think the pony would look better on the steering wheel instead of the snake.
You'll love the Brembo brakes when you get them on, and I'm interested in what your suspension mods are going to be.
Looking forward to your future mods.
i thought I had no other option on the chin splitter at the time ... im thinking on placing the larger shelby version ... the airbag is my sons vision , still have the original, i do not care for it as well...mater of fact i hate all "shelby" branded stuff
Brembos are next big thing... not because they are 350 related but because the originals are just insane junk!!

Next video is a $7 exhaust mod to the factory pipes that sounds out of this world ....the mod is already done ... technically its free

americanv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
/
Personally I can't stand stuff like this. I mean it's one thing to mod your car and make it unique, but it's just tacky to me when you make it look specifically like the gt350, especially with the cobra, shelby lettering etc. Having said that, this is just my opinion, nothing more. What people do with their car and money is their business.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not a fan of advertising things you don't have.
Sponsored