Sponsored

Pd blower in very hot climate

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
What’s up everyone, I’m looking for some advice for the coming summer months. I have a TVS on my 18. Would you run meth injection or an ice tank (without ice on street/ ice for racing only) for extra cooling? I live in Vegas, so it gets super hot. It’s not my daily but I do street drive it.

I see mixed reviews on the killer chiller, especially when you need ac. Lethal seems to have good results with ice tank, even without ice. Meth would help during a pull but not in vacuum.

Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Get the phenolic spacer that VMP sells. It works so well, I cancelled my plans for meth injection after I already bought a kit.
Agreed.
I recently drove my car in 48*c (119*f) and the IAT post blower hardly even moved, typically reading the exact same as the ambient shown on the centre cluster.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
You don't need meth. Just water injection.

OP
OP
Furious18

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No shit, the spacers helped that much? I’ll look into it. Thanks! Do you need the feed bracket as well?

if I’m spraying anything, might as well get the octane and other benefits as well. I’m no expert in meth/water/ alcohol tho

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
No shit, the spacers helped that much? I’ll look into it. Thanks! Do you need the feed bracket as well?

if I’m spraying anything, might as well get the octane and other benefits as well. I’m no expert in meth/water/ alcohol tho
Meth adds cost and leaves a lot of room for error if you don't have the right water/meth mix and a perfect tune.

I'm only coming from boosted rotary engine experience and those engines are very delicate when the tune isn't quite right. Thus, most in the scene not building a 7-8 second drag RX-7 stick to water injection. It has 90% of the benefits of 50/50 water/meth without the hassle and danger.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

I never ran THIS particular blower without them so I can’t make a complete back-to-back analysis.
What I CAN say with confidence is that my Gen 2 Whipple had absolutely no hope of achieving anything vaguely similar to that outcome. Not even close.
It could be argued that the inverted design and the fact that the rotor pack isn’t actively compressing air whilst not in boost (as opposed to a twin screw) could be contributing factors to the difference of course.
I know that one of the Whipple guys tried them' amongst a heap of other changes aimed at reducing IATs and he listed the phenolics as the single most important change he could make.
My experience tends to confirm that indirectly.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I wish someone would install an ice tank and share how helpful they are (with just the extra water and no ice). The Lethal video was impressive but I haven't seen any feedback from others.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Let be honest though for others considering a blower in a hot climate. You will be better off with a centrifugal and a large front mount intercooler that keeps intake temps near ambient, rather than rely on a PD with a small chargecooler sandwiched between the blower and lower intake manifold (i.e. in a very hot place).

Horsepower and torque differences between a PD and centrifugal blower are modest anyways beyond 3500 RPM.

Case in point are two graphs below. Stock cars minus mid pipes. Yes, different dynos so don't focus on the ultimate numbers, but the curves.

Whipple Stage 2 with Whipple tune and 94 octane

Dyno Sheet.jpg

Procharger P1-X Stage 2 Custom Tune 93 Octane

Run320171118.JPEG

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What’s up everyone, I’m looking for some advice for the coming summer months. I have a TVS on my 18. Would you run meth injection or an ice tank (without ice on street/ ice for racing only) for extra cooling? I live in Vegas, so it gets super hot. It’s not my daily but I do street drive it.

I see mixed reviews on the killer chiller, especially when you need ac. Lethal seems to have good results with ice tank, even without ice. Meth would help during a pull but not in vacuum.

Any input is appreciated!
When you say TVS, what breed are we talking about exactly?
VMP, Roush, Eddy?

OP
OP
Furious18

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say TVS, what breed are we talking about exactly?
VMP, Roush, Eddy?
I have the edelbrock 2650. iat are great right now but it’s not hot yet so only time will tell.

I think I’m going to do the spacers and a rear tank now. See how that holds up, since both should help during normal driving.

thanks for the input everyone

OP
OP
Furious18

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let be honest though for others considering a blower in a hot climate. You will be better off with a centrifugal and a large front mount intercooler that keeps intake temps near ambient, rather than rely on a PD with a small chargecooler sandwiched between the blower and lower intake manifold (i.e. in a very hot place).

Horsepower and torque differences between a PD and centrifugal blower are modest anyways beyond 3500 RPM.

Case in point are two graphs below. Stock cars minus mid pipes. Yes, different dynos so don't focus on the ultimate numbers, but the curves.

Whipple Stage 2 with Whipple tune and 94 octane

Dyno Sheet.jpg

Procharger P1-X Stage 2 Custom Tune 93 Octane

Run320171118.JPEG
I tend to agree. I’m not a brand loyalist. The only thing nice about the TVS, is the fact it’ll launch hard without a stall.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Get the phenolic spacer that VMP sells. It works so well, I cancelled my plans for meth injection after I already bought a kit.
Did you have to make any other modifications in order to use these spacers? FEAD mods, belts, pulleys? What year and type of blower are you using if I may ask?

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I moved to Arizona in August, the hottest time of the year. It was no less than 105 degrees here and went up to 115-118 on some days up until late September. The whipple stage 2 kit on my car did just fine here with normal street driving. I do not even have the oversized heat exchanger option, just their normal one that comes with their kits. I did notice the car was slower as expected 24/7 around here with the heat, but the IAT and the cylinder head temps were always within safe levels, even up to 118 outside.
Sponsored