Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Where did u hear the 12k price?
tried finding the source, was one of the reviewers or something from the other day when I was looking into it after that 588hp was dyno'd. That may have been an estimated cost w/ a swap kit though, so idk. couldnt relocate my where I found it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OMG this is going to be such an amazing swap!!! LOL

At the end of the day itll be cheaper to do an LS thats got a gigantic aftermarket support and has been done for what the last 2 decades? LOL.

But hey now all of a sudden pushrods are the greatest because this ones made my by ford.
Especially with Vorshlag releasing their kit soon. If one must have displacement because damn the torpedoes, that is the one to do.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Those that think this swap will be expensive have never touched an engine, let alone pulled one out of a vehicle. Once these become available on the salvage market, they won't be terribly expensive...especially compared to the coyote.

As for price, no way is it $12k. It's going to be significantly less than the coyote...which we all know is available for < $9500.

Are you serious? :crackup::crackup:
Do you have something to add...or any information to refute my post?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Those that think this swap will be expensive have never touched an engine, let alone pulled one out of a vehicle. Once these become available on the salvage market, they won't be terribly expensive...especially compared to the coyote.

As for price, no way is it $12k. It's going to be significantly less than the coyote...which we all know is available for < $9500.

Do you have something to add...or any information to refute my post?
Common sense?

They're not going to be that cheap. The volume for it isn't there like LS, and an intake, tune and tune device for an otherwise stock car are alone are more than $700, dude. What you listed will be easily $1500-2000 considering very few companies are going to be making high volume (for aftermarket) intakes...they won't be $350 like Mustang intakes. Your cam will be easily $600-700+ also. Just be realistic about it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Common sense?

They're not going to be that cheap. The volume for it isn't there like LS, and an intake, tune and tune device for an otherwise stock car are alone are more than $700, dude. What you listed will be easily $1500-2000 considering very few companies are going to be making high volume (for aftermarket) intakes...they won't be $350 like Mustang intakes. Your cam will be easily $600-700+ also. Just be realistic about it.
Was going to say, a programmer and tune alone is like $600 after tax. No way you are getting a cam and intake on top of that for $100.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Common sense?

I may have been unreasonable with my expectations. It appears cam prices have gone up a bit since my last purchase.

With that said, your $600-700+ is completely unreasonable. A full custom cam for a big block Ford can be had for $450. That's custom, to your specs. This will be similar pricing for the 7.3L. There is no extra overhead to produce a cam.

As for intake, they'll be cheap and plentiful. China will make sure of that. If the first intake comes out at $600, you can bet your ass there will be one out shortly after for $350.

Was going to say, a programmer and tune alone is like $600 after tax. No way you are getting a cam and intake on top of that for $100.
You may want to go back and read my original post. Notice I say $700 worth of parts?

And again, for those that seem to think because this is a truck engine...that it won't have a quick aftermarket.....and it won't be a good fit in a car, notice procharger already has a supercharger in the works....with the intent for it to fit nicely in a foxbody...

"First off, the entire bracket system needed to fit inside the engine bay of a fox body Mustang. Secondly, the supercharger drive system needed to support some very big horsepower to be used in the racing scene. And most importantly, fit a very large ProCharger to keep up with the airflow needs of this engine, thanks to some aftermarket valvetrain goodies that help this Godzilla to breathe as you'd expect from 445 cubic inches. You following those hints? ;) "

https://www.procharger.com/blog/procharger-power-fords-godzilla-73l-gas-engine

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yet it'll be harder and more expensive and will get destroyed by an aluminum LS. If you're being reasonable, the only reason to do this over an LS swap in a fox is because it has a Ford logo on it.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yet it'll be harder and more expensive and will get destroyed by an aluminum LS. If you're being reasonable, the only reason to do this over an LS swap in a fox is because it has a Ford logo on it.
Huh? A LS has no means to keep up with the HP potential of this 7.3L engine. The heads can't keep up. The Valves cant keep up. The displacement can't keep up.

I'd love to know how you think the LS can overcome these deficiencies.

Anyone that want's big block torque in a lighter, smaller package with new tech and nearly unlimited potential will be swapping this in their fox.

As for LS engines...I'm not sure where you're seeing them...but they aren't exactly cheap anymore. The only reasonable priced LS engines around are the 5.3 iron blocked truck engines....which are far...far behind the 7.3L.

I will say, until the 7.3L starts popping up in the junkard, they won't be as cheap as a high mileage LS.

Back to pricing...a quick check on a Ford parts website has the new 7.3L listed for ~ $7500 fully dressed.

The coyote for the mustang is listed at ~$8500 fully dressed.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Exactly my argument. I should have expanded on that. Makes zero sense based on COST. Iron should be cheaper and yes it is more durable. However it is not and Ford missed the mark. All that being said I still think the Godzilla swap is extremely silly and a waste UNLESS you can junk yard one for very very cheap. Since you can junk yard Gen 1 long blocks for around $3000 - 3500 and just want to do an NA swap, you would have to be out of your MIND to use a Godzilla brand new or close to new. Coyote swap kits are available, proven, and readily available. They have the power, the weight advantage, and the characteristics for a great resto mod street rod.

People are going to do it because it's hype. I don't deny that. But is it PRACTICAL...so far I'm not convinced at all. I'm a stickler on weight and having that extra 100lbs over the nose would really bug me. Yes one could say well the old 302 was all iron and weighed almost 600lbs anyway and yada yada yada. Well I think that's kinda cool that you lose over 100lbs by going to a Coyote especially since weight reduction costs so much. That nimble 3200lb Fox got even more nimble and needs all the help it can get over the nose.

Tuned and and a few bolt ons for 450 horsepower, proven and readily available swap kits, less weight, more nimble, modern driveline with nostalgia, need no more. In my opinion.
The iron pushrod 302 engine weighs similar to the Coyote - more like 450 lbs than 600 lbs. And if you put aluminum heads on it the pushrod 302 weighs less than a Coyote. I'm not going to argue about pushrod vs. OHC. I think OHC engines are much better/more fun in a sporty vehicle.

Anything that deviates from the Coyote design isn't likely to succeed from a too expensive to develop perspective. Now destroke a Coyote3 to 4.2l, 9500 rpm and put twin-turbos on it and we'd have a nifty screamer. And maybe this time if flat-plane crank do it UDDU so it stop trying to tear itself apart. Going 5.2 on the Shelby was just dumb.

Something as gigantic as 7+ liters won't fit in most of the lineup except the F250 and such. The only thing Detroit (and legacy American buyers) worship is cubic inches. God knows why. Those days are over IMO for non-truck platforms. The buyers are dying off rapidly and the new kids are not impressed with slow-revving motors.
The thing about a small displacement TT V8 setup is it will be very expensive and it will still be heavy. You can get additional displacement without adding as much weight in additional radiators, plumbing, etc. And additional displacement is a lot cheaper than turbos.

Got to love the full bolt on debate and what some people consider bolt ons or not.

I agree with you. That is probably what I would consider full bolt ons as well. Only one I might disagree with would be headers.
If you can't bolt on heads, "full bolt on" is a stupid name IMO. You should be able to bolt on anything that uses bolts, including cams, rotating assembly, suspension, new transmission, etc. And if a car is truly "FULL" bolt on, that would mean anything that can be removed with bolts has been upgraded. I really hate the term full bolt on.

Common sense?

It should be interesting to see what happens. I think a lot of people like displacement and want large engines just because that's what they like. LS engines - if you are talking actual aluminum block LS engines and not the iron block stuff - really aren't that high volume.

If you are talking about capability to "destroy" something, an aluminum LS just won't take the boost of an iron block like this. IMO having the Ford oval is a good reason to pick one engine over another. Aluminum LS engines typically aren't built to take a lot of power.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The iron pushrod 302 engine weighs similar to the Coyote - more like 450 lbs than 600 lbs. And if you put aluminum heads on it the pushrod 302 weighs less than a Coyote. I'm not going to argue about pushrod vs. OHC. I think OHC engines are much better/more fun in a sporty vehicle.

The thing about a small displacement TT V8 setup is it will be very expensive and it will still be heavy. You can get additional displacement without adding as much weight in additional radiators, plumbing, etc. And additional displacement is a lot cheaper than turbos.

If you can't bolt on heads, "full bolt on" is a stupid name IMO. You should be able to bolt on anything that uses bolts, including cams, rotating assembly, suspension, new transmission, etc. And if a car is truly "FULL" bolt on, that would mean anything that can be removed with bolts has been upgraded. I really hate the term full bolt on.

It should be interesting to see what happens. I think a lot of people like displacement and want large engines just because that's what they like. LS engines - if you are talking actual aluminum block LS engines and not the iron block stuff - really aren't that high volume.

If you are talking about capability to "destroy" something, an aluminum LS just won't take the boost of an iron block like this. IMO having the Ford oval is a good reason to pick one engine over another. Aluminum LS engines typically aren't built to take a lot of power.
650+ whp with ease? One should check out the "Trigger" build that Vorshlag is doing with the S550. I wouldn't do it, but they'll have a bolt-in LS-swap kit available soon. All else equal I'd take the blue oval too, but I'd happily take a reliable 600 whp NA engine with a GM badge over a Ford one that's 100 lbs heavier.
https://horsepower-research.com/collections/lsx-long-blocks/products/hpr-aluminum-468-ls-long-block

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
650+ whp with ease? One should check out the "Trigger" build that Vorshlag is doing with the S550. I wouldn't do it, but they'll have a bolt-in LS-swap kit available soon. All else equal I'd take the blue oval too, but I'd happily take a reliable 600 whp NA engine with a GM badge over a Ford one that's 100 lbs heavier.
https://horsepower-research.com/collections/lsx-long-blocks/products/hpr-aluminum-468-ls-long-block
Uhhh, that's a $17k engine that still needs $2k + worth of parts to finish. I think I could find a way to lose 100 lbs for less than that.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I also have to say, I don't think some of you fully understand that in high horsepower applications....and Iron block is quite often more desirable. Anyone that puts a 7.3L engine into a car is not going to be interested in road coarse duty. The 100lbs is not going to matter.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I would rather have a stroked 351w to 427cubic inch swap in my mustang over a 7.3 ....
Sponsored