Sponsored

Last year for V8 2024 (and Mach-E discussion) via Ford Performance conference call

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To be completely honest about it, a 300 lb motorcycle with a hard-mounted engine is going to be affected a whole lot more by the sort of 'wobbling' that an inline 3 inherently does. Balance shafting or not. I'd be curious as to how much visible vibration is associated with that 3, at least within a couple of frequency bands, and in how far it moves once a gear is engaged. Soft mounts almost certainly have to be part of the solution.

I'm not all that crazy about balance shaft solutions in general. It's only needed at all for engine configurations that are not either inherently balanced for primary and secondary forces and moments, or that can be completely balanced at the crankshaft. It's a solution for engines other than those, generally when displacement has outgrown the number of cylinders employed to get there. At 2.0L, an inline 4 is acceptable without them, but once you go above about 2.5 L they tend to need that sort of help.

Norm
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A balance shaft is a parasitic loss, sure but it's the correct engineering solution. Why would anyone design a DD engine without one? Motorcycles have them all the way down to 300cc. The FiST and Mustang 2.0/2.3 have them too AFAIK.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A balance shaft is a parasitic loss, sure but it's the correct engineering solution. Why would anyone design a DD engine without one? Motorcycles have them all the way down to 300cc. The FiST and Mustang 2.0/2.3 have them too AFAIK.
You'd design without one when you've [properly] chosen a configuration that is either inherently balanced or balance-able without them. That's the correct basic decision. Balance shafting is the correct engineering fix for having made a technically poorer basic choice, including such as may be forced by external pressures having nothing to do with engine design proper.

I realize that it's more than just about displacement. Bore vs stroke gets involved, with longer stroke designs tending to run less smoothly than larger bore/shorter stroke configurations.

FWIW, I can remember driving cars whose 4-cylinder engines displaced as little as 948 cc. Less than one liter, divided among four cylinders.

Norm

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You'd design without one when you've [properly] chosen a configuration that is either inherently balanced or balance-able without them. That's the correct basic decision. Balance shafting is the correct engineering fix for having made a technically poorer basic choice, including such as may be forced by external pressures having nothing to do with engine design proper.

I realize that it's more than just about displacement. Bore vs stroke gets involved, with longer stroke designs tending to run less smoothly than larger bore/shorter stroke configurations.

FWIW, I can remember driving cars whose 4-cylinder engines displaced as little as 948 cc. Less than one liter, divided among four cylinders.

Norm
Ecoboost 3 cylinder has a dual mass flywheel for this purpose. There are no issues with vibration with this engine - in fact it sounds like a V6 and goes like stink.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Norm
My recollection from interactions with engineers developing new engine platforms is pretty much along the principles you state. Do everything technically possible to avoid need for a balance shaft. Failing that, integrate that balance shaft to minimize mass and cost.

That's the problem when you let the accountants into the drawing room... Could we get a modern refresh of the I6 Mustang? I've said it before, but Ford Australia does have a 400+ HP powerplant in the Barra line.
In this age of varying fuel economy regulations for each major geographic region, it's more the energy management staffs than the bean-counters pushing towards smaller displacements and lower cylinder counts.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
That's the problem when you let the accountants into the drawing room... Could we get a modern refresh of the I6 Mustang? I've said it before, but Ford Australia does have a 400+ HP powerplant in the Barra line.
The Aussie in-line 6 was a nice engine, sure, my F6 Tornado made 400rwkw @~18psi boost or something such. But they are harsh engines, can’t rev much past 6,500 due to harmonics, as they have no balance shaft....thus a narrow RPM band for a lot of torque, which wasn’t that good an idea...oh, if only they could be as smooth-revving as the Skyline or BMW in-line 6’s...

If you so wish, you can anyway read more of these engines over at xr6turbo.com

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The Aussie in-line 6 was a nice engine, sure, my F6 Tornado made 400rwkw @~18psi boost or something such. But they are harsh engines, can’t rev much past 6,500 due to harmonics, as they have no balance shaft....thus a narrow RPM band for a lot of torque, which wasn’t that good an idea...oh, if only they could be as smooth-revving as the Skyline or BMW in-line 6’s...
It's a torsional issue.

Inline 6 engines typically have a long crankshaft. If it also features a long stroke, the crankshaft ends up being somewhat flexible (torsionally) unless the journals are intentionally made larger than necessary for strength purposes. The 4.2L Jaguar inline 6 engine featured a stroke of 4.17" and IIRC was normally redlined at only 5500 rpm.

Norm

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
This is true, but when you can package the same I-4 turbo into a coupe, sedan, CUV, pickup, hatchback, scooter, barstool, etc. it tends to make the accountants happy as well.

Shouldn't be too hard bring it into the 21st century in terms of NVH and all that. Also, I'm very interested in reading more, but that url doesn't go anywhere...

Oops, my apologies, here it is: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/

Agreed, they could have re-engineered it, as it were, it was basically an old cast-iron truck-engine that got a bit of treatment. Mine was a vicious bitch though, 400rwkw in a UTE with a live-axle was always going to make for a fun ride when the boost hit, and did it hit hard.....weeeee.....good fun.

‘These things Down Under made as much as a 1000rwhp, some guys went pretty extreme with them....but that Forums should give you a good overview...have a look under the Technical section for 300/400/500/600/700rwkw section, here is a direct link to the 700rwkw section....crazy stuff, actually.... https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/forum/221-700-club/

Cheers,
Beano

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
:lol: Yeah, they are fun-things when you put a bit of fire under their arse ....

Sponsored

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
No new Mustang in Europe - probably ever. The MY20 car is just a cosmetic update to the current S550 model. The current Mustang V8 will probably disappear in Europe in 2021, maybe the Ecoboost will survive.

If you want one buy one now !
Mustang is selling well in Europe, and Ford has confirmed we'll get Mach E here. I think the next Mustang will coming to Europe.

Chris Meyers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang (soon)
Oops, my apologies, here it is: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/

Agreed, they could have re-engineered it, as it were, it was basically an old cast-iron truck-engine that got a bit of treatment. Mine was a vicious bitch though, 400rwkw in a UTE with a live-axle was always going to make for a fun ride when the boost hit, and did it hit hard.....weeeee.....good fun.

‘These things Down Under made as much as a 1000rwhp, some guys went pretty extreme with them....but that Forums should give you a good overview...have a look under the Technical section for 300/400/500/600/700rwkw section, here is a direct link to the 700rwkw section....crazy stuff, actually.... https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/forum/221-700-club/

Cheers,
Beano
Ford Australia doesn't produce any of those anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't even make cars or engines in Australia anymore.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang is selling well in Europe, and Ford has confirmed we'll get Mach E here. I think the next Mustang will coming to Europe.
Europe is going to get half of the Mach E's production

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Check your facts.... Or just keep believing whatever BULLSH*T site/blog you got that from...
I said toxins. As in pollutants...

Coincidentally, You have yet to establish that CO2 is a pollutant, or harmful to humans, or the planet. If so, then don't have any more kids, save the world from Co2...

Or as-if, more Co2 is bad for mother earth and all the vegetation, etc..

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60