Sponsored

Does anyone experience "short grinding" noise when starting car?

• Thread starter Member 45469
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Member 45469

When I start car I hear a quick grinding noise and then wrench light comes on. Car died twice after wrench light came on. Took it to the dealer they said it was due to bad battery. Replaced battery with new one and two days later, grinding noise came on again, wrench light appeared, Took it back to dealer and they cannot resolve issue - been in the shop for over a week. Has anyone experienced this? Car is relatively new, only 20000 miles- GT 2017. Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
When I start car I hear a screeching noise and then wrench light comes on. Has anyone else experience this with 2017 GT? Tried explaining this to dealer and they say normal??? I think they are trying to get out of resolving wrench light problem.
No, but as a mechanic, I’d say take it straight to the dealer, while you’re still under warranty. Could be a number of things.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I always thump the hood in the winter to get the cats out of there. Doesn't help so much here as it did in the Mid-West.

Does it do it cold. hot, warm? A/C on or off? Please be more specific.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I'm going with not normal and recommend going to a different dealership. Anyone who tells you it's normal is a moron.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm going with not normal and recommend going to a different dealership. Anyone who tells you it's normal is a moron.
She's in California. Everything is normal out there. LOL!

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Every time I start mine I hear this rumbling noise it that ok? OP not normal get it to someone else to look at if they won't help you.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hi Karen, not sure why you started a second post on this issue. I know the first one was just for the wrench light but you never mentioned the noise. Duplicitous posts tend to confuse some folks on here. Not me, of course, :crackup:

And no, screeching noises and warning lights are not normal. Get to a different dealer ASAP.

OP
OP

Member 45469

Hi Karen, not sure why you started a second post on this issue. I know the first one was just for the wrench light but you never mentioned the noise. Duplicitous posts tend to confuse some folks on here. Not me, of course, :crackup:

And no, screeching noises and warning lights are not normal. Get to a different dealer ASAP.
Thanks I posted a separate thread to avoid confusion. I am new at this so I guess I was wrong. Unfortunately the other dealer is worse. Someone mentioned contacting ford zone rep and when asked dealer they did not know what I am talking about. I am a little distressed

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Maybe try posting a video of the noise when starting the car there's some pretty smart folks here that may recognize the sound. Or open the hood and record it while someone starts the car?

OP
OP

Member 45469

Maybe try posting a video of the noise when starting the car there's some pretty smart folks here that may recognize the sound. Or open the hood and record it while someone starts the car?
Thank you i will once i get the car back. it does not always happen - it is intermittent.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Member 45469

Every time I start mine I hear this rumbling noise it that ok? OP not normal get it to someone else to look at if they won't help you.
Thanks - this is suppose to be the best dealer in town - the others are worse. The car only has 20000 miles, still under warranty. I will most likely have to take car back, from the dealer, with it unresolved but will continue to take pictures when happens again. Will try to take video for noise purposes. best.

OP
OP

Member 45469

No, but as a mechanic, I’d say take it straight to the dealer, while you’re still under warranty. Could be a number of things.
Thank you - that is the plan.

OP
OP

Member 45469

I always thump the hood in the winter to get the cats out of there. Doesn't help so much here as it did in the Mid-West.

Does it do it cold. hot, warm? A/C on or off? Please be more specific.
it is not dependent on weather. but if i put my foot on the brake and start the car right away it makes that screeching noise, and then wrench. It i put my foot on the brake and wait a bit before starting the engine, it is fine. Although i am unsure if this is related, but the car died two times and had to be jumped, after the wrench light came on. Brought the car into the dealer and said that the battery caused the wrench and nothing else is wrong. I do not know if i can believe the dealer...your thoughts?
Sponsored