Sponsored

The beginning of the end for the Mustang?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It is simple economics. Sport car sales are somewhat strong at the moment for some brands/models. But when the EV's start rolling out in mass and it begins to appeal to everyone the sales will die off. And the manufactures will cancel them when they no longer become profitable.
And as an enthusiast you're OK with that???

Norm

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
It's all about marketing, rebates (perceived value) and on-line reviews/opinions.
At our dealership the Lincolns are hot sellers now.
The positive reviews of the Aviator, Corsair, Navigator and Nautilus name change have brought folks in who have NEVER considered a Lincoln before.
Positive reviews of the Explorer ST have helped it become our most looked at / sold Ford SUV now.
I feel this new BEV if styled right and MARKETED could be another hit. EV's can be boring , but make them exciting AND practical and they could appeal to many American drivers.
Combine that with a large trusted dealer network for added security.
How is the Challenger outselling Mustang/Camaro with a 10 year old design? The best, most aggressive marketing that hits emotionally.
Hell my next vehicle will probably be a used Challenger R/T. The style speaks to me personally like my 2015 Mustang.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I mean it made it worse, but it was a problem well before social media was popular.
It made it MUCH worse. People have taught themselves that being connected and instantly available are universally good things, and that everything else in life has to take a back seat to electronic communication.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I truly believe we would be better off if many people got self driving cars because they can't drive worth a shit. Or maybe you have to do more than pass an easy test and have a pulse to get a driver's license in the US. In Germany you have to pass requirements such as:

• a mandatory eight-hour first aid course
  • a minimum of 37 hours of instruction
  • passing two exams (theoretical and practical) (Harder than the tests in the US)
  • a cost of over $2,000

Why can't the US implement something like this... A drivers license in the US feels more like a right than a privilege. In my eyes driving is a privilege.
Careful what you wish for re self driving. Yeah, that will get rid of lots of bad drivers, but guess what? Then we will be the bad drivers compared to a decent self driving car, unless we can grow eyes out of the backs and sides of our heads and acquire the ability to never have a single thought about anything but driving and never do anything even slightly for fun.

Licenses I agree.

Also, its true that Ford is looking at being its own customer for fleets of self driving cars. I can see the possibility. Who will be emotionally attached to a self driving car? So, why own any car if they are all the same and the nearest parked self driving car can be at your door in minutes?

I'm hoping it takes longer than I have left to perfect it.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Careful what you wish for re self driving. Yeah, that will get rid of lots of bad drivers, but guess what? Then we will be the bad drivers compared to a decent self driving car, unless we can grow eyes out of the backs and sides of our heads and acquire the ability to never have a single thought about anything but driving and never do anything even slightly for fun.

Licenses I agree.

Also, its true that Ford is looking at being its own customer for fleets of self driving cars. I can see the possibility. Who will be emotionally attached to a self driving car? So, why own any car if they are all the same and the nearest parked self driving car can be at your door in minutes?

I'm hoping it takes longer than I have left to perfect it.
On a practical level, I think I am at an age (76) where I won't live to see it, or I won't mind because I'll need all the help I can get. But, on an emotional level, I'd hate to see it happen.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Careful what you wish for re self driving. Yeah, that will get rid of lots of bad drivers, but guess what?
That those drivers will be the least able to cope with the inevitable sensor failures, 'bugs', and operating system glitches/crashes?

Wouldn't traffic in a world where there's a fair percentage of self-driving cars be a little more predictable? That would work for both the autonomy and the human.

Norm

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here you go. solves all our problems.....

140401173456-terrafugia-tf-x-plane-story-top.jpg

Notice the Mustang influenced front end!!!!!!!!!
It’s a flying Fiocusfusionstang!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That's a possibility. But remember, computers are programmed by the same humans who would be driving alongside self driving cars. The programs and modules of self driving cars are only as good as the human who wrote it.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's a possibility. But remember, computers are programmed by the same humans who would be driving alongside self driving cars. The programs and modules of self driving cars are only as good as the human who wrote it.
True. That's why I can multiply any two 9 digit numbers faster than any computer or calculator. Wait.... :wink:

Just a matter of time until they have to update the John Henry legend substituting self driving cars for a steam engine.

Reactions: Ebm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
True. That's why I can multiply any two 9 digit numbers faster than any computer or calculator. Wait.... :wink:

Just a matter of time until they have to update the John Henry legend substituting self driving cars for a steam engine.
Think about the thousands of flights everyday that go off without a hitch. Millions of miles with no issues or concerns. And then you have the 737 Max. Nothing involving humans is perfect. But 99.9999999999999% is still pretty good.
Sponsored