Sponsored

1100 hp on pump gas? koenigsegg

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Riddle me this... how is koenigsegg making 1100 hp on pump gas with a 5 liter dohc, twin turbos? And it has catalytic converters!

And they use 9.3:1 compression ratio.

So if one the most powerful 5 liter production engines uses low compression, then why do a lot of tuners and people I talk to keep saying to go with 11:1 or higher cr?

Just curious what you guys think?
Sponsored

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
All unobtanium parts combined with intercooler flow and management that make a regular intercooler look like a 90 year old peeing through a grapefruit size prostrate.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Riddle me this... how is koenigsegg making 1100 hp on pump gas with a 5 liter dohc, twin turbos? And it has catalytic converters!

And they use 9.3:1 compression ratio.

So if one the most powerful 5 liter production engines uses low compression, then why do a lot of tuners and people I talk to keep saying to go with 11:1 or higher cr?

Just curious what you guys think?
That is also crank WHP, Rob has made 900whp through 93 octane on a few 5.2's already, it's def possible, but it's no the "norm"

Sponsored

onefastmf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue
My boss bought one of these, can’t wait to get a ride, won’t be done till end of next year!! Would kill me to have to wait that long

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto

onefastmf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue
If we’re talking about the same car I believe it’s flex and makes like 1800hp on e85

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I went 8.8x@ 155mph 12 years ago with a sbf at 3600+ lbs on 93 octane. 9.2:1 compression with an air/water intercooler. That was with a blow-thru carb and a distributor. Look up pumpgas drags. It's not as hard as you think. That's with old school technology. With new stuff and a virtually unlimited budget, it can't be that difficult. Think about twin independent variable cam timing, direct injection, way better electronic spark and fuel delivery. Not to mention dual clutch transmissions...etc.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
And it costs how much again??

OP
OP
Crackerjack17

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
All unobtanium parts combined with intercooler flow and management that make a regular intercooler look like a 90 year old peeing through a grapefruit size prostrate.
koenigsegg has some amazing engineering for a small company.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Quick and dirty math says a 465 hp na engine at 20 psi boost will make about 1100. Can you make 465 hp on 5.0 liters na at 9.3/1? Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me...

I do think the high compression of the coyote is what’s killing our power potential on 93.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
"The piston’s curved face shapes the combustion chamber in such a way so as to reduce peak pressure while maintaining high average pressure."

This Hemi-piston combined with every piece on internals being before unheard of lightweight/ low friction design.
Lower compression will not get you more BMEP, while not increasing the peak cylinder pressure your octane is capable of being in with out detonating. This is like hearing someone say "my car makes 900HP, but I get beat by cars that make 700hp, all the time. Will my car be faster if I turn it down to 700?" You have to look at the whole dyno curve and usable RPM. The same is true for cylinder pressure, with a cap on the peak pressure by the octane of the fuel. Higher compression will cause the initial rise in cylinder pressure to be faster. If you control peak pressure with spark advance to avoid detonation, you will make more power than if you had lower compression and the same [peak cylinder pressure target. The problem with high compression is heat, combine that with heat from the FI components and it take a lot to keep every thing cool during extended periods of high power output. This is another situation where you need to consider the average power output during the application not just the peak potential power output. Koenigsegg is designing ultimate road race cars and don't want them to over heat. They could have made the engine make more power with higher compression as unbelievable as that sounds.

Everyone is telling keep your coyotes compression high, because you are probably wanting a particular power level similar to people across the country at a similar boost level, The longest race you will most likely do is 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 mile. Driving the car on the street is much much less stressful on the engine than during a road course race, by a professional driver keeping the car at its limit.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This one is easy. Direct injected combustion ignition.

Knock is not a big deal if there is no fuel. I would guess they use two direct injectors per cylinder. One kinda like a preignition spark plug and the other would be full fuel load. Gigitty

I don’t think “better” everything is going to get you 1100hp with reliability, heat flexibility, and drivability on 93 octane. They are using some outside of the box technology like they always do. I bet they spent some money on flame front simulations. Like lifetimes worth of money.

If you could get your fuel consistent enough in quality and burn rate you could design a gas engine that is basically a diesel. No spark plug needed at certain times. Almost like what Mazda is doing right now with sky active X but not quite. 100psi wouldn’t be a problem in this type of engine.
Sponsored