Sponsored

Dealer wrecked my 2019 GT350

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
On question you guys asked was about insurance. My company is OK with the airbags deploying, they will not cover a car that has a salvage title.

Nice job on picking up the GT350 for 25k
Best of luck with it.
Did you see the car ? Just the rear wheel was hit? Nothing on the front wheel ? Sounds like the car is a long way from salvage title. I would be tempted to negotiate from the KBB price of a one year old trade-in, plus extended warranty. Carfax may not be a big deal as long as it doesn't show both structural damage and airbags deployed. Which it doesn't sound like it will.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
reset the airbag module
Unless there is new technology, air bag modules can NOT be "reset". They are trash once the bags deploy.
Did someone tell you they reset it for you?

Looks like the photos were taken at an IAA or Copart lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did you see the car ? Just the rear wheel was hit? Nothing on the front wheel ? Sounds like the car is a long way from salvage title. I would be tempted to negotiate from the KBB price of a one year old trade-in, plus extended warranty. Carfax may not be a big deal as long as it doesn't show both structural damage and airbags deployed. Which it doesn't sound like it will.
I have seen the car. Only the outer rim of the wheel and flat tire were visible. I will be contacting the frame shop and alignment shop that the dealer uses. You thoughts on KBB and extended warranty are what I want to look into.
Thanks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I bought this wrecked GT350 at auction back in March for 25K. It had damage to front and rear left side suspension.
D25C6F28-8B48-4720-88DB-A3D2FC532851.jpeg
0D889FA1-335E-4CAF-8BC0-7893EA90CE24.jpeg
B86AE96C-241E-4D86-8D2A-02768EC8F859.jpeg
93A1CF22-B1DB-491B-8EA8-FE3CAD9A3F85.jpeg

I put all used front left and rear left suspension on for under 1500 dollars and it aligned perfect. I replaced both side curtain and the drivers seat airbag, reset the airbag module, and had the driver’s seat belt for around $1000. I probably have 4-5k in the rebuild and the car is practically done minus a little body work. The car had 5,800 miles on it when I bought it. If you want to buy a wrecked car, go buy a wrecked car. It will cost you much less I believe...

Here is what it looks like now....

146DF66C-6F31-4C4C-AF83-2CC2C5DA1BBC.jpeg
1CE378ED-6EAD-4619-A500-42E94F9AA755.jpeg
24BAC384-72B8-4438-B8AF-47BADA75866C.jpeg
CC7E1676-4E1A-44CE-A590-CCE3C20D049F.jpeg
9D70B6BF-61FD-4083-A40F-861BA7C0E93A.jpeg

Great post from a technical, mechanical and common sense perspective.

Just curious, is the VIN or title still branded as salvage, or are you in a location where the title could be retitled without the branding?

I’m not referring to “washing” the title.

In some States if a salvage vehicle is purchased and rebuilt, the owner has to take the car to a State inspection facility. Once there the car gets a complete physical inspection and review of the repair work completed. If it passes the State review and meets their criteria for being roadworthy again, the vehicle title isn’t salvage, but is coded as something else. Yes, the VIN reports available will still retain prior history IF such was reported by Polkce or Insurance agencies as to what resulted in the car being “salvaged”.

Did you buy it before inspecting it in person, or did you take a chance on buying based on the ad listing description and price?

Great job with the rebuild too.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Unless there is new technology, air bag modules can NOT be "reset". They are trash once the bags deploy.

airbag module aka control unit.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
There is no "control unit" in an air bag system.
This is the air bag module:

Module.JPG

These can not be reset, and the bags will not deploy again if the bags are replaced but the module is not changed.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
You would be truly FDuckjng yourself if you ever took possession if this car. Note the Vin, as stated, begin a search for your new GT 350 : )

PaulyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Module.JPG

These can not be reset, and the bags will not deploy again if the bags are replaced but the module is not changed.
I bought the car from Copart. I sent the aribag module to www.myairbags.com and for 49 dollars they reset the module, I also sent them my driver's seat belt, because the pretensioners were fired, they rebuilt it and sent it back to me for 99 dollars. The air bag module no longer has any wreck history in it and the airbag light comes on for five second when I start the car and then goes out like it is supposed to. So I dont know what they did, but the car works as if it did when it left the factory. You can check here and determine for yourself if they are selling a gimmick or fixing the module. https://www.myairbags.com/product/airbag-module-reset-3/

PaulyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Great post from a technical, mechanical and common sense perspective.

Just curious, is the VIN or title still branded as salvage, or are you in a location where the title could be retitled without the branding?

I’m not referring to “washing” the title.

In some States if a salvage vehicle is purchased and rebuilt, the owner has to take the car to a State inspection facility. Once there the car gets a complete physical inspection and review of the repair work completed. If it passes the State review and meets their criteria for being roadworthy again, the vehicle title isn’t salvage, but is coded as something else. Yes, the VIN reports available will still retain prior history IF such was reported by Polkce or Insurance agencies as to what resulted in the car being “salvaged”.

Did you buy it before inspecting it in person, or did you take a chance on buying based on the ad listing description and price?

Great job with the rebuild too.
I bought the car with a salvage title from Copart. I live in VA, where I have to have the car inspected by a VA DMV Special Agent where they will then determine it to be roadworthy and then they will issue me a rebuilt title.

I bought it without inspecting it, based on the pictures. I just submitted all my paperwork to the DMV yesterday after the car passed the VA State Safety Inspection last week. I should have the rebuilt title in 4-6 weeks.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It's a GREAT way to go if you want a REAL driver - buying a wrecked version and fixing it. I've done it several times. There are over 10 GT350's on Copart right now. A friend of mine is waiting for one in his area to actually open up for bids.

A buddy of mine picked up a C6 Corvette this way several years ago. After the cost of the car, parts, body work, paint and upgrades, he has considerably less invested than a stock version with more miles than his had. He also did it because he wanted a color that didn't come from Chevrolet. He drives it a ton. His brother turned around and did the same thing with a Raptor.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hope he turns down the car and shares the VIN for all to see.

Once fixed I think it will end up on the New Car Sales Floor.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey

Module.JPG

That depends on the vehicle and which bags blew. Your blanket statement is incorrect. And I call that a module or control unit, which it is. The 'air bag module' is the air bag.

Last edited:

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
That depends on the vehicle and which bags blew. Your blanket statement is incorrect. And I call that a module or control unit, which it is. The 'air bag module' is the air bag.
The picture Dave posted might be from his work/test lab
(the one that tests this stuff for DOT & Insurance Co's). Just sayin...

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have seen the car. Only the outer rim of the wheel and flat tire were visible. I will be contacting the frame shop and alignment shop that the dealer uses. You thoughts on KBB and extended warranty are what I want to look into.
Thanks.
Frank, as you can tell, many of us are confused about your thought process here. So it may help if you can explain what you're thinking. If you wanted a good deal on a crashed but repairable car, you could have easily done that before. You don't have to order a new car from the dealer and hope they crash it for you to then get a deal. So somewhere along the metaphorical road you decided you no longer wanted a new car, and instead wanted a repairable crashed car. Knowing that at any given time you can get a good 'deal' on a crashed car, why do you now want this crashed car?
Sponsored