Is this hissing really normal?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I've been living with this since the car was new (2015) thinking it might be normal but thought I'd ask. Under very steady light load, between 6 in-Hg and 6 PSI, I get this very constant hissing which sounds like probably the BOV. This is my first tubo car, used to SCs. That will persist until I let off the gas or accelerate taking the vacuum/boost out of that range. Is that normal or is it possible my BOV is just weak or something?
Sponsored

Deleted member

I've been living with this since the car was new (2015) thinking it might be normal but thought I'd ask. Under very steady light load, between 6 in-Hg and 6 PSI, I get this very constant hissing which sounds like probably the BOV. This is my first tubo car, used to SCs. That will persist until I let off the gas or accelerate taking the vacuum/boost out of that range. Is that normal or is it possible my BOV is just weak or something?
Its the crap design of the stock DV, under light load like cruising on the highway it will crack open and create a hissing sound. Order yourself a DV+ from Go Fast Bits. Its an insert that replaces the weak part of the stock DV and has a stronger spring to keep it from opening under light load. It also retains full factory electronic control, and it allows you to retain the return hose to the intake if you don't want the blow off sound.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Its the crap design of the stock DV, under light load like cruising on the highway it will crack open and create a hissing sound. Order yourself a DV+ from Go Fast Bits. Its an insert that replaces the weak part of the stock DV and has a stronger spring to keep it from opening under light load. It also retains full factory electronic control, and it allows you to retain the return hose to the intake if you don't want the blow off sound.
Thanks! I should've done this a long time ago. I didn't know if it was normal or not. Sounds like it's normal for our DV but not optimal. I'll get that right away!

Deleted member

Thanks! I should've done this a long time ago. I didn't know if it was normal or not. Sounds like it's normal for our DV but not optimal. I'll get that right away!
Exactly the stock one does its job, just a weak spring in there.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I've noticed a sound since I put in my intercooler. Doesn't appear to be a boost leak as I hit 21 to 22 lbs consistently (stock tune). I didn't know how to describe it but a hiss is a close description. Happens at light throttle until I let off or push it further. Good to know it's nothing. Eventually I will get a bov but for the interim the stock unit works for me. I can deal with the hiss

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
It will still do it no matter what valve you use. It's just the computer bleeding off excess pressure. I have a turbosmart shortie with a mechanical bypass and it does the same thing.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
So I'm reading about this GFB DV+ and they say you have to take it apart and oil it periodically?

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
So I'm reading about this GFB DV+ and they say you have to take it apart and oil it periodically?
most BPV and BOV need to be oiled once in a while or they can seize up

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
But not the stock DV? I've never done anything with it.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
the crappy stockers are plastic and they don't need to be oiled. The ones that have metal on metal moving parts need to be oiled unless other wise stated

Sponsored
OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Your turbo will have some oil blowby that will get into the BOV anyhow
I was hoping for that but if that was the case, why would people be posting about dried up and destroyed o-rings? From what I read, it sounded like the general consensus was to lubricate it every 5k miles. That would mean every time I change my oil, I'd have to pull the DV, open it up, oil it, re-assemble and re-install. Sounds like a lot of hassle. I saw where even the guy that made them said maintenance at 10k miles. Just not sure I want to take it out and pull it apart that often.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I've had my GFB DV+ for about 20,000 miles with no maintenance. It's working fine. And it definitely fixed the hiss; after I put in the Cobb CAI I was hearing the hiss constantly at highway cruise. The DV+ put a stop to that annoyance, and it still makes cool noises when I step on it.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I've had my GFB DV+ for about 20,000 miles with no maintenance. It's working fine. And it definitely fixed the hiss; after I put in the Cobb CAI I was hearing the hiss constantly at highway cruise. The DV+ put a stop to that annoyance, and it still makes cool noises when I step on it.
Thanks, that's great info! Couple questions, do you have a catch can installed and have you ever opened your DV and looked at the o-ring?

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Thanks, that's great info! Couple questions, do you have a catch can installed and have you ever opened your DV and looked at the o-ring?
Yes, I have a Mishomoto catch can, I empty it every 2-3 months. I've never opened the DV, just lubed it and installed it according to the instructions. IIRC, the manufacturer didn't have any recommendations for regular maintenance. But now you guys are making me curious, and maybe when I have a chance I'll pop it open to see how it's holding up.
Sponsored