Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Are you buying one? No? Oh, what are you concerned about then?
My concern is as a Mustang enthusiasts whose owned 7, I want the car to outperform its rivals and be the best it can be.

This Gen it has been one step behind for the most part. I'm waiting to see the results before I pass judgement, but when I see a 225lb girl approach the mat for an Olympic floor routine, I'm skeptical that shes going to bring home gold.

I'd love to be wrong.
Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
People aren't voicing concerns, they are making assumptions based on weight and completely ignoring performance numbers Ford has already put out.
the assumptions are based on physics and past performance for this platform vs its main competitor the Camaro in a nutshell.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are you buying one? No? Oh, what are you concerned about then?

Am I buying one? Yep. Am I concerned about the weight? Nope.

Of all those people who are really concerned, how many actually have skin in the game? Anybody?

The CFTP will be less. I will make it lighter. Now, a healthy point of discussion would be how much lighter will the CFTP be and how much lighter can we make it..... but just like everything else, it has been discussed over and over and over.
About 120lbs give or take but you don't need the track pack for the same exact weight savings. Wheels will save you 20lbs but shit just remove the back seats. 100lbs and now your lighter than a demon. Then E85, pully and tune for your application. The extra weight is obviously the SC and the crazy amount of cooling. Mine added 150lbs so I'm probably at 3900lbs+ without the ability to add much more (630rwhp) without going with a chiller or meth. E85 would require me to upgrade my fuel system. They wouldn't let me look under the hood but Id be surprised if you can't go E85 right out the gate with a GT500. If you want a drag setup you're removing that spoiler for another 20lbs+ or whatever that thing (hated it in person) weighs.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
the assumptions are based on physics and past performance for this platform vs its main competitor the Camaro in a nutshell.
Past performance? You mean like the old GT500 that (with proper tires) is still arguably faster in the ÂĽ mile than the ZL1?

And again, those assumptions are ignoring information that we already know. The GT500 is already said to run sub 11 second ¼ miles (quite a bit quicker than the ZL1). The GT500 already has said to have 0-100-0 times MUCH quicker than the ZL1. The GT350R was right on the heels around a track with the ZR1…and there is no way in hell the GT500 is going to be slower than the GT350.

Again, they are taking a single data point (weight) and making absurd assumptions without taking any other data points into consideration. This is ignorance, plain and simple.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
You can blame the people, not Ford on that one.
While it is true that people paying it are ultimately to blame, Ford makes the vehicle that is worthy of people paying the ADM along with the low output of total vehicles....so I believe they share in the blame. Not saying it is good or bad just what it is.

Other competitors do not seem to have the same ADM issues or at least have them very long past the initial allotment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Just remember folks, the Dodge Demon weight of 4,280 is for the most stripped down car possible.
This car also has less airbags because (1 seat)
This is how they ran the hero 9.65 once.

That weight is a factory ordered no option 1 seat car with front skinny wheels.

Most all Demons weigh at least 100 pounds more around 4,400 lb.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember folks, the Dodge Demon weight of 4,280 is for the most stripped down car possible.
This car also has less airbags because (1 seat)
This is how they ran the hero 9.65 once.

That weight is a factory ordered no option 1 seat car with front skinny wheels.

Most all Demons weigh at least 100 pounds more around 4,400 lb.
yeah stock (meaning no tune or bolt ons) demons where struggling to get under 10. So you take a dual clutch, 4050lbs no seat GT500, put on some skinnies and drag radials (not sure how much it saves with stars etc.), and yeah I'm thinking you match that. But like the demon 9's is the ceiling. To get in the 8's demon owners have to go turbo and even then it's a 1 time thing.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Past performance? You mean like the old GT500 that (with proper tires) is still arguably faster in the ÂĽ mile. I said this platform... S550

And again, those assumptions are ignoring information that we already know. The GT500 is already said to run sub 11 second ¼ miles (quite a bit quicker than the ZL1). The GT500 already has said to have 0-100-0 times MUCH quicker than the ZL1. The GT350R was right on the heels around a track with the ZR1…and there is no way in hell the GT500 is going to be slower than the GT350. I don't think anyone is arguing that it wont be a better straight line performer than the current ZL1, but remember how easy it would be for Chevy to drop the LT5 in the Camaro. The 350R was a better handling car than the Z but now you've added 300lbs plus to the nose of that chassis. Will it still handle as well? Power is the least important factor in a track car...well so i'm told

Again, they are taking a single data point (weight) and making absurd assumptions without taking any other data points into consideration. This is ignorance, plain and simple.
See red

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Try not to embed. It makes it extremely difficult to multi post.

I said this platform... S550
Well, the current GT is quicker in the 1/4 mile than the SS...correct?

I don't think anyone is arguing that it wont be a better straight line performer than the current ZL1, but remember how easy it would be for Chevy to drop the LT5 in the Camaro.
And it would be equally as easy for Ford to drop in a 5.3 into the base GT. I’m not sure what your point is here.

The 350R was a better handling car than the Z but now you've added 300lbs plus to the nose of that chassis. Will it still handle as well? Power is the least important factor in a track car...well so i'm told
Of course it won’t handle as well, at least not the base GT500. The same thing was said about the ZL1 (it didn’t handle as well as the SS 1LE). That doesn’t mean it won’t be faster around the track though….the ZL1 sure has hell was.

Weight isn’t the end all for track performance.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
About 120lbs give or take but you don't need the track pack for the same exact weight savings. Wheels will save you 20lbs but shit just remove the back seats. 100lbs and now your lighter than a demon. Then E85, pully and tune for your application. The extra weight is obviously the SC and the crazy amount of cooling. Mine added 150lbs so I'm probably at 3900lbs+ without the ability to add much more (630rwhp) without going with a chiller or meth. E85 would require me to upgrade my fuel system. They wouldn't let me look under the hood but Id be surprised if you can't go E85 right out the gate with a GT500. If you want a drag setup you're removing that spoiler for another 20lbs+ or whatever that thing (hated it in person) weighs.
Right. I'm starting with the CFTP. I'm assuming the same kind of weight savings from GT350 to GT350R, about 120#. So that should put the CFTP at 4100#. Maybe it will wind up being lighter. After doing all the math of removing/replacing seats, battery, fluids, tire inflator, subwoofer, and then adding a cage, I come in at just under 4K. 3990#

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I'm a software engineer in So Cal and $150k isn't a realistic salary for any level of developer with "mid" in the their title. You have to be a senior level developer to make 6 figures, even in California. I've been doing it for 18 years and make the figures that are being thrown around, but I work an average of 12 hours a day, so I guess it's not really that much, when you think about it. Now, that being said, you CAN make that kind of money in the bay area, but I personally wouldn't live there for 3x as much money.
I am a developer also for a very long time. I agree. No MID person is getting 6 figures, unless maybe at Amazon in Seattle or Microsoft and have been working there awhile and has got dirt on the pres....lol

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Right. I'm starting with the CFTP. I'm assuming the same kind of weight savings from GT350 to GT350R, about 120#. So that should put the CFTP at 4100#. Maybe it will wind up being lighter. After doing all the math of removing/replacing seats, battery, fluids, tire inflator, subwoofer, and then adding a cage, I come in at just under 4K. 3990#
Why add technology pack (subwoofer) when you could start without it?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Why add technology pack (subwoofer) when you could start without it?
Because it isn't going to be a full on race car. I will enjoy it with all the stuff and when it comes time to go to the track, just remove the offending creature comforts. Not a big deal.

Edited to add:
There are some things I am not willing to do that could potentially reduce the 3990# significantly (like remove glass windshields). I'm happy to have it below 4,000#

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Well, the current GT is quicker in the 1/4 mile than the SS...correct?
Once again I'm not arguing quarter mile times, but claiming the GT is quicker than the SS is a stretch. Same day same track they would be as even as 2 cars could be
And it would be equally as easy for Ford to drop in a 5.3 into the base GT. I’m not sure what your point is here.
We are talking GT500 and ZL1. Ford has no more powerful motor to just drop in the Mustang...Chevy has the ZR1 motor and it will swap right in the Camaro....all they require is the desire to do so.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Once again I'm not arguing quarter mile times, but claiming the GT is quicker than the SS is a stretch. Same day same track they would be as even as 2 cars could be
We are talking GT500 and ZL1. Ford has no more powerful motor to just drop in the Mustang...Chevy has the ZR1 motor and it will swap right in the Camaro....all they require is the desire to do so.
I have read alot about that and everywhere it has been said that GM will never put the Halo Car engine in the Camaro. The Z06 sure, it wasn't the ZR1. But GM could spread lies on purpose.
Sponsored