MMR Timing Chain Tensioner Startup Noise

Wojo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just wrapped up the install on Comp Stage 3 N/A Cams, MMR Oil Pump Gears, Crank Sprocket, and Timing Chains/Guides/Tensioners.

Everything seems to be golden, but I noticed clicking during startup. After teardown I found the culprit to be the MMR tensioners coming in contact with the MMR guides. It only happens during cold start as once there's oil pressure they don't make contact.

Overall this seems like a design flaw where the small piece sticks out and contacts the guide. Just curious if anyone else runs these guides/tensioners and have had similar issues?

I could probably shave off that small tab on the tensioner to prevent contact, but seems silly that I'd have to do that.

Screenshot_20190722-163110(1).png
Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Just wrapped up the install on Comp Stage 3 N/A Cams, MMR Oil Pump Gears, Crank Sprocket, and Timing Chains/Guides/Tensioners.

Everything seems to be golden, but I noticed clicking during startup. After teardown I found the culprit to be the MMR tensioners coming in contact with the MMR guides. It only happens during cold start as once there's oil pressure they don't make contact.

Overall this seems like a design flaw where the small piece sticks out and contacts the guide. Just curious if anyone else runs these guides/tensioners and have had similar issues?

I could probably shave off that small tab on the tensioner to prevent contact, but seems silly that I'd have to do that.

Screenshot_20190722-163110(1).png

Any further information on this man? Did you resolve this?

OP
OP
Wojo

Wojo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Any further information on this man? Did you resolve this?
No, not yet. I know the noise is coming from the tensioner contacting the guide. I had turned over the engine by hand and could see and hear the clicking. Next time I take off my timing cover I'm going to grind down the little arm on the tensioner. It's there to hold the pin that holds in the piston, but honestly it's not hard to push in the piston, so I think it wouldn't be too bad grinding it off and getting it back on without the pin holding it for you. I don't plan on tearing the cover off anytime soon, so will have to live with it for now.

Car runs great for me too, just the really bad CLACK CLACK CLACK until oil flows in is pretty annoying. Makes the car sound unhealthy for a second or two every cold start.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...r-chain-guides-tensioners-and-bracket.126413/

This is the problem I'm having. Checkout the videos and see what you make of it. I just changed the oil to 5w 30 from 5w20. Let's see if that makes a difference.

I will report back and let you know if the initial clack clack clack is better. The other problem im having is the engine runs butter smooth when cold but as it reaches temp. There is a noise, I think it's the tensioners but like you, I think I'm going to drive around in it and see what happens.

If it blows up, I'll get another engine and use this one to build one with forged internals. The noise is annoying but the car is running so much smoother. It's never run this good. Just sounds not so great

BoostedYote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...r-chain-guides-tensioners-and-bracket.126413/

This is the problem I'm having. Checkout the videos and see what you make of it. I just changed the oil to 5w 30 from 5w20. Let's see if that makes a difference.

I will report back and let you know if the initial clack clack clack is better. The other problem im having is the engine runs butter smooth when cold but as it reaches temp. There is a noise, I think it's the tensioners but like you, I think I'm going to drive around in it and see what happens.

If it blows up, I'll get another engine and use this one to build one with forged internals. The noise is annoying but the car is running so much smoother. It's never run this good. Just sounds not so great
Any resolve to this issue. I'm in the process off changing opg notice this same thing as I was turning it over with a wrench. I think my toeing might be off a bit and the tensioner are over flex trtingntontakenthe slack out of the chain

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was dud primary tensioners. MMR shipped out new ones but I replaced with factory ones and problem was gone. Don't drive the car are too much if its the same issue as the chains can easily skip a tooth and the engine will lose timing.

sc1168

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
I had the same problem with Mmr tensioners. They ended up sending me shims for the tensioners. never heard of this before. L and m inspected the tensioners and found 3 times the normal clearance.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is the reply I got from them back when.

It was biggest load of BS I ever read. They sent me a TSB from back in 2011 ( can't understand how that TSB would apply to parts sold in 2019)

And the second TSB was for the 3rd gen coyote regarding phaser chirp. Mine is a 2nd gen and these engines don't suffer from the phaser chirp. They sent me TSBs to try to cover their butt for all coyotes basically. Terrible really.

I didn't bother arguing but I'm not stupid. This shiiii I went through because they F'd up their own QC. The noise didn't come on slowly or it wasn't the case that there was no noise and after 100 miles of driving it showed up. It was there instantly. They tried to say that it may have been damaged during postage because it was international IIRC

But... I purchased these in the US and had the shipped to a US address and then brought them to the UK in my carry on.

Screenshot_20230121_085001.jpg

Screenshot_20230121_085136.jpg

Screenshot_20230121-085059_Drive.jpg

sc1168

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
if you ask all the top engine builders l and m, Livernois, Tkm etc. they have nothing good to say about mmr. the mmr tensioner is ford factory internal parts w billet body.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My 2019 Bullitt has the chirping noise, but runs fine. I was looking at the MMR guides, chains and tensioners as a possible upgrade and cure for the chirp. For those that have it, would you buy it again?

If I do nothing, will the noise lead to bigger problems or is it just a nuisance?
Sponsored

Last edited: