Sponsored

18+ Shaker Hood soon available.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Saw on Fb that CDC has a prototype Shaker set up for the 18+.

They are still working on the final product, I just hope they can allow stock air box use like the older version, but it seems they are limiting this to the tune free pmas cai system. I have heard some feel that pmas system can't work well on the stock tune even they say it doesn't need a tune.

Im not so sure the Gen 3 engine will shake much for the shaker to move?

It seems OK in appearance on a s550.
FB_IMG_1562981606559.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
3 problems I see.

1) The car is so wide it makes the shaker look tiny.

2) The way the hood is designed I feel like unless at very high speeds (100+) the air is likely going OVER the shaker.
2003-04 Mach1 had this issue. The shaker really didn't help much until the top end of the drag strip. Someone tested and it it helped raise MPH and lower ET a small bit. But in general the arch of the hood lead to air going over the shaker at lower speed.

3) Its not really "ramming" the air. its if anything blowing onto the filter from the opposite direction of the stock air tunnel from the bumper with no air box to keep the air in there. It's instantly mixing with the with engine bay air. a JLT or GT350/BULLITT style air-box would help contain the air and also at least help lower IAT temps.

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I can see how a Mach 1 was 73" vs S550 width of 75.4. and if same original size as the 2014 version, 2014 was like 73.9" wide. I can see it is on the small side now, they should have made a brand new larger one, but maybe they are going by the original shaker lid specs. The OEM Challenger Shakers do look better cause it is a retro car, but sometimes at certain angles in person, it looks on the small side on a wide Challenger, but the cuda look shaker is probably a wider lid than the Ford shaker design?
sema.JPG
2015-dodge-challenger-shaker-scat-pack-front-static-600-001.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
3 problems I see.

2) The way the hood is designed I feel like unless at very high speeds (100+) the air is likely going OVER the shaker.
2003-04 Mach1 had this issue. The shaker really didn't help much until the top end of the drag strip. Someone tested and it it helped raise MPH and lower ET a small bit. But in general the arch of the hood lead to air going over the shaker at lower speed.
The 2014 kit from CDC does allow for it into the stock air box which is sealed, would that be a better design if not using an open CAI?

2014.JPG

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The 2014 kit from CDC does allow for it into the stock air box which is sealed, would that be a better design if not using an open CAI?

2014.JPG
To me it would as it insures that you're getting less heat soak and taking more advantage of the cooler air.

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
To me it would as it insures that you're getting less heat soak and taking more advantage of the cooler air.
But could a sort of pressurization effect cause more issues? The more this is cosmetic, they might as well just make design to just cool the brakes instead :D

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I'm really skeptical that this is going to be functional in any really meaningful way. If anything, I've heard that ram air set ups can cause MAF sensor issues that you have to work around. Might be conjecture. I know Jonathan Ward of Icon has mentioned many times that they had issues with their 5.0 crate motors fitting into their Broncos because the Coyote can be really finicky about turbulence, and they don't even use a ram air set up.

And yes, it's a bit too small for the S550. These are wide cars that look even wider in person, and they have a very oval appearance when looking down at the hood, which kind of clashes with having a square box in the middle of it. You'd need the right kind of hood and some sort of black out or 70 style stripe to try and hide how small it is. I'm still curious about it, but I'd have to see it in person to determine if it works for me. It really needs to be 15-20% bigger. But, like I said in the Mach 1 thread, if I were to get this, I'd want to use a GT350 replica hood, so the fact that its smaller and could probably fit in the natural lines of that hood may benefit my specific application.

I'm also curious as to what manifolds this works with, or superchargers for that matter. Are you stuck with the stock manifold with the shaker? How's this thing mount?

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
I'm really skeptical that this is going to be functional in any really meaningful way. If anything, I've heard that ram air set ups can cause MAF sensor issues that you have to work around. Might be conjecture. I know Jonathan Ward of Icon has mentioned many times that they had issues with their 5.0 crate motors fitting into their Broncos because the Coyote can be really finicky about turbulence, and they don't even use a ram air set up.

And yes, it's a bit too small for the S550. These are wide cars that look even wider in person, and they have a very oval appearance when looking down at the hood, which kind of clashes with having a square box in the middle of it. You'd need the right kind of hood and some sort of black out or 70 style stripe to try and hide how small it is. I'm still curious about it, but I'd have to see it in person to determine if it works for me. It really needs to be 15-20% bigger. But, like I said in the Mach 1 thread, if I were to get this, I'd want to use a GT350 replica hood, so the fact that its smaller and could probably fit in the natural lines of that hood may benefit my specific application.

I'm also curious as to what manifolds this works with, or superchargers for that matter. Are you stuck with the stock manifold with the shaker? How's this thing mount?
Doubt that Shaker would work with any type of Intake Manifold or Roots Style Supercharger. Shakers usually only work with the Stock Manifolds. You can see that they dont have the factory engine cover on, so you would need to remove that for installation

I liked their Shaker systems for the 05-10 years, because they included an engine cover to make it look nice in the engine bay. 2011+ their Shakers didnt look good with the hood popped up

Sponsored

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doubt that Shaker would work with any type of Intake Manifold or Roots Style Supercharger. Shakers usually only work with the Stock Manifolds. You can see that they dont have the factory engine cover on, so you would need to remove that for installation
If that's the case, it definitely loses some brownie points. I can see the taller manifolds like the Cobra Jet or Boss intakes not working with it, but not being able to use an 18 (on a 2015-17 that is) or a GT350 intake would be a major bummer.

As for superchargers, I guess you could still run a centrifugal. Plumbing might get kind of crazy under the hood, though.

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Or maybe better yet just find a weiand style blower with a Scott hat, will look pretty in the engine bay but outside...

I do think the shaker pattern works little better with a gt/cs front due to horizontal and vertical bar grille patterns.

Will wait for final product to see what transpires.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The last time shakers looked good was on a New Edge body style. No Mustang design since has been able to pull it off, IMO.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or maybe better yet just find a weiand style blower with a Scott hat, will look pretty in the engine bay but outside...

I do think the shaker pattern works little better with a gt/cs front due to horizontal and vertical bar grille patterns.

Will wait for final product to see what transpires.
We're on the same wavelength. I installed a GT/CS grille earlier this year and topped it off with an offset tribar emblem from a 1969. I was initially going to use my car to pay homage to the 67 Shelbys, but after some thought its tough to pull off with both a GT350 and GT500 in dealerships by the end of this model year using the same platform. I decided to do a Mach 1 tribute instead. That's why this shaker hood appeals to me, even though its far from perfect I'd say.

Guess I'll wait to see what else...shakes out.

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe someone should do a reverse shaker scoop :) would be more aerodynamic and work as a heat extractor.
scoop.jpg
Sponsored