Sponsored

Entire Car Repaint Under Warranty - Questions/Help please!

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
About 3/4 of my car is being repainted from insurance work, well, it's actually out of paint now and they are assembling it (is it normal to paint the parts separately?). I've been pretty anxious as I'm pretty OCD about the finish on my car, I've already convinced myself that I'm going to find issues and not be satisfied with the work...but what's the guarantee that the next time will be any better? My car's been out for over 3 months now, it's a draining experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Nope, took them 28 days I believe. It's 3 attempts to fix something significant or 30 calendar days at the dealer in a given year. Paint on the rear quarter of the car isn't considered significant sadly.
Wow 28 days just for part of the car. That is hard to fathom for just a partial paint job. My car has already been in for 4 days just for the initial diagnosis/evaluation.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
My car's been out for over 3 months now, it's a draining experience.
I am guessing you can't lemon law it? 3 months is a nightmare.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Please tell me the initial body shop was not caliber collision? That's who messed up my car twice.

Obviously the 2nd time you went to D&V auto. They're amazing.
At the time, I used Ted Britt Ford for service/warranty work and they sent me to Centreville Collision Center. I even offered Ted Britt Ford to let me take the car to D&V and I'll pay the difference between Ford's warranty rate and the amount D&V would charge but they wouldn't have it. My worst customer service experiences by far have been with that body shop and with Ted Britt Ford between my 2015 and 2018 GTs.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
At the time, I used Ted Britt Ford for service/warranty work and they sent me to Centreville Collision Center. I even offered Ted Britt Ford to let me take the car to D&V and I'll pay the difference between Ford's warranty rate and the amount D&V would charge but they wouldn't have it. My worst customer service experiences by far have been with that body shop and with Ted Britt Ford between my 2015 and 2018 GTs.
Yup, same exact dealership I went to. Ted Britt in Fairfax lost my keys while they took a look at the misfire from a cracked intake manifold. They were not going to give me a loaner until I made a big deal about it. I said find my keys or give me a loaner.

When the paint issues turned up, I took it to Ted Britt in Chantilly. The pics speak for themselves. The dealership told me to deal with the body shop. They washed their hands clean even though they're the ones who took it to that shitty place.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am so sorry for your mismatched panels. :( I guess I am fortunate that they are going to repaint the entire car here. I am very curious what all that entails though - including the engine bay/undersides?
I just pulled up the OH lemon law. If I was in your situation, I'd let them repaint the car and if the repair time exceeds 30 calendar days, I'll have Ford buy the car back and start over with a new 2019/2020 or just get your money back and buy something else altogether.

Section 1345.73
It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken by the manufacturer, its dealer, or its authorized agent to conform a motor vehicle to any applicable express warranty if, during the period of one year following the date of original delivery or during the first eighteen thousand miles of operation, whichever is earlier, any of the following apply:
A. Substantially the same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times and continues to exist;
B. The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days;
C. There have been eight or more attempts to repair any nonconformity that substantially impairs the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer;
D. There has been at least one attempt to repair a nonconformity that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven, and the nonconformity continues to exist.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I just pulled up the OH lemon law. If I was in your situation, I'd let them repaint the car and if the repair time exceeds 30 calendar days
Thanks very much for your comments! That is currently my plan, but I was really trying to avoid all the stress/worry/30 days of counting down the time. The chances of them repainting the body 100% on the first time don't sound so good, and the dealer already told me it will take weeks to repaint, so I am pretty hopeful we will get to that 30 day time limit with the initial repair + any corrections + the 4 days already at the dealer.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yup, same exact dealership I went to. Ted Britt in Fairfax lost my keys while they took a look at the misfire from a cracked intake manifold. They were not going to give me a loaner until I made a big deal about it. I said find my keys or give me a loaner.

When the paint issues turned up, I took it to Ted Britt in Chantilly. The pics speak for themselves. The dealership told me to deal with the body shop. They washed their hands clean even though they're the ones who took it to that shitty place.
Yup, similar story here. The body shop damaged the front splitter (they didn't know how to remove it and tried prying it off with tools) and then tried to blame the deep gouges and cracks they caused on rock chips even though I had pictures of the car before dropping it off documenting it was in pristine condition. The service manager agreed that the body shop manager was full of shit but just told me to deal with them myself. I spent two weeks going back and forward between the two until the body shop finally agreed to replace the splitter. Of course a year and a half later I made the mistake of buying my 2018 lemon from Ted Britt which ended up being another shitfest of its own. I would probably be driving a 2019 GT or a 2018 GT 350 right now if I had bought my lemon from Koons in Sterling.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
So a little followup, I am taking my car in on Monday to start the repaint process. I talked to several lawyers and it sounds like I am really shit out of luck as far as what I can do here, I have to accept the repainting/disassembly of the car.

I had a consultation with a lawyer and he advised I can't even lemon law it as it's not related to safety/mechanical issues. Ford really screwed me over on this one it looks like.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Man I'm so so so glad IDGAF about the paint on my car. As long as it's a good 20 footer I can't be bothered. Too many years of wasting hours and hours detailing and spending on this and that product to keep it nice, now I just drive it and wash it when I feel like. Really is so much nicer not having to think about rain or sand or that section of the road they just did new pavement on.

Best of luck getting it fixed to your satisfaction!

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Well a small update, it has been at the shop since Monday for the re-paint, and today I received a message that the higher-ups at my dealership and some higher-ups at Ford corporate are all talking/reviewing my situation again after digging into all the work needed.

I am guessing they discovered the work will be more than they initially thought? (but they already thought they had to repaint the whole car)

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Well a small update, it has been at the shop since Monday for the re-paint, and today I received a message that the higher-ups at my dealership and some higher-ups at Ford corporate are all talking/reviewing my situation again after digging into all the work needed.

I am guessing they discovered the work will be more than they initially thought? (but they already thought they had to repaint the whole car)
I hope they just let you out of that nightmare, the anxiety is draining. I just got word that my rear bumper has to be replaced (and thus, painted) so that's another part of my car that's being redone. That only leaves the hood and the driver's side front fender with OEM paint...lol.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I hope they just let you out of that nightmare, the anxiety is draining. I just got word that my rear bumper has to be replaced (and thus, painted) so that's another part of my car that's being redone. That only leaves the hood and the driver's side front fender with OEM paint...lol.
Thanks a lot. Sorry for your car troubles too. It's been a really emotional rollercoaster.

I recently learned that an entire repaint under warranty costs about $15,000. I'm still hoping I can get traded out into another car.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thanks a lot. Sorry for your car troubles too. It's been a really emotional rollercoaster.

I recently learned that an entire repaint under warranty costs about $15,000. I'm still hoping I can get traded out into another car.
Sorry to hear your paint isn't good.
Hang tight and maybe FoMoCo will do the right thing.
15k is a bitter warranty pill
Sponsored