Sponsored

Entire Car Repaint Under Warranty - Questions/Help please!

paul_g

for $15K that better be the best damn pain job ever put on a FOMOCO vehicle. $15K we're talking serious custom-shop type work here....
At least if it's done right it SHOULD be $15K....

So if no one has noticed.... I chime in on detailing / paint threads because I do detailing work... Not cave-man wash/wax stuff.... Mainly paint correction, nano-ceramic glass coatings... I typically spend 8 - 16 hours on a single vehicle.

I couldn't think I did more of my due diligence when purchasing my new 2019 GT/CS. I have about a $500 lighting system called Scangrip Colour Match. This system is used by high-end detailers and custom body shops because the light doesn't alter or change the color of the paint. Meaning, the light source is so pure and accurate that it will not affect or alter color when viewing under these lights. Secondly the larger of the kit mimics The Sun. Literally, it's intent is to give a spectrum of high-intensity so when you're working on paint correction or application of coatings, it helps spotting high spots, scratches, etc.. Ok enough of that gibberish.

When purchasing a new vehicle I have a $700.00 (US) PTG, the Delfesko Paint Thickness Gauge, my experience and well other documented sources put factory OEM paint between 3mil to about 6ish mil spec. Door jambs should come in around 2mil spec. Why is this important to know. First off, OEM pain is THIN! Usually about the thickness of a post-it-note. It's robotically applied in thin coats, then a thin, yet very hard (at least with new Ford's and GM's') layer of clear then baked at temperatures no body shop can replicate. Mainly because nothing is installed in the vehicle yet. There are no interior parts, moldings, plastics or glass. It's baked at such high temps that it creates an "instant cure"... Meaning, you should never see any solvent pop, or off gassing... Next down the line, usually inspectors will inspect the paint and use a 3M de-nibbing tool to sand out any "dust-nibs"... Then the next guy has an air-pneumatic dual action polisher (usually a Rupes) with some kind of wool pad and compound to polish out what the denib guy/gal did.

Ok back to my point of mil-specs... If a panel has to be repainted (i.e. damaged in shipping, etc...) and fixed at the dealership, NO body shop can do what the robots can do at the factory. Specifically two things... Layer so thin at a level of 2 to 4 mils, secondly, bake to the degree that the assembly line can. Lastly, as I stated above, it's not how good the guy is on the guns, it's how good the guy/gal is at wet-sanding, de-nibbing and then perfecting the paint through paint-correction (this is where my expertise lies).

On my 2005 GT I scuffed my bumper cover. I was smart enough to remove the cover myself and take it to my body shop. Sense this car was fully paint-corrected there was no "blending / matching" that really needed to be done. The OEM paint was (still is) near perfect as it rolled off the assembly line. I made the body guy redo the bumper like 3 times... and I made sure he de-nibbed it. He left like hundreds of nibs!!!

Look if you're going to go into a profession, be bloody damn good at it!!!!!! (rant....)

So you can imagine that my same attention to detail goes into paint inspection when purchasing new cars. But don't come down hard on your self. Even I make mistakes and miss things (despite my OCD'ism…). When purchasing my new vehicle I took three to five readings of every panel in random locations. All my readings certified that my paint was OEM.... 3 - 4.5 mlis of paint. LIKE THAT'S NOT A LOT MAN!!!!

In addition to my readings, I inspected the car with my Scangrip lights, even in the high-noon AZ sun. Aside from some dealership installed scratches the paint was flawless. I took it home, did my usual new car prep... Decontamination, (iron), clay, compound using Griot's BOSS Fast Correcting Cream (took care of all the dealer installed scratches) then went over the car with polishing pads and Griot's BOSS Perfecting Cream, slammed a CQUK 3.0 on it and stuck a fork in it.

Now..... weeks later... My special lights pick up little imperfections in the paint, probably NOT visible during initial inspection do to the layer of industrial fall-out, contamination and light scratches... all of which was corrected leaving nothing but pure, unadulterated OEM paint.. Under a 30x Carson Head set, and special lights, I can visibly see small pits.... the type that look like a car that has had a 1000 miles or so going down a dusty sandy road. My conclusion is it is NOT solvent popping, nor fish-eyes.

I also want to preface this with they are random... in isolated areas (mostly in the rear qtr panel ---- i.e. if it was the last car on the truck, all that back wash would be hitting....) so, my assumption is... It's light exposure during transit either by rail or truck from Michigan to AZ.... Mainly probably caused by AZ as I've seen what wind driven sand can do to paint. Otherwise, my second assumption is the clean-room where the cars get painted had some exposure of dust or contaminants. My last assumption is my car is enamel white, so like black enamel, it will show everything. If it were metallic flake, I would not see a darn thing because Ford mixes so much flake in the paint it's insane!!!

I also want to preface this with it's only visible whilst bending over in a certain degree, closing one eye, using a mirror over my shoulder, wearing special glasses and using special LED Scangrip Lights... You get the point... In otherwords… Three feet away, you can't see it at all. It's NORMAL, all paint systems will have some sort of slight blems in them. For giggles, I examined my 05 and it has the same thing... and besides I'm an OCD nut that needs something better to do with my time. Paint is paint, and I could take it back to Ford and honestly endure the horrendous job they will do to the car and suffer something 1000% worse. So my take is, I'm going to drive the HELL out of it... take it everywhere, enjoy it, wash it, and next year I will get it's annual compound / polish / recoating.... and at that point I'll have taken enough clear off that I'll probably even eliminate the normal OEM orange peal. If I keep the car in 15-20 years, off to a custom shop for something cool.... Or who knows... Maybe in 3 years I'll grow tired and get Prius or something... LOL. :)

The moral of the story is..... Paint is paint.... Custom shops will do a much better job at getting you high-quality "show-car" paint than a run of the mill collision center or "daily driver ---- you wreck it, we fix it" type of place. Most of the guys/gals at the later body shops mainly work on daily drivers where 99.9999% of the population just want some color put back on the car after an accident... These are the types of shops that don't even remove the damn trim pieces....

The only way to get high-quality OCD level paint job is pure custom-shop paint shop.... Guys like Chip Foose, etc.. For that, yup $15K is about normal. $15K for a Ford shop????? hmmmmmmmmmmm that one is leaving me a bit speechless.

I can bet you diamonds to donuts that a custom shop will give you exactly what you want... and even come up with some cool schemes you never thought of. I had a guy in our NH mustang club who worked for a custom shop. He had a 05-09 style s197 coupe, was in perfect condition yet, he took it into his shop. Top half was like a high flake metallic black triple coat, and bottom was triple coat high-flake metallic maroon... Or maybe it was the other way around... Regardless, that car was a show piece. No orange peal, no dust-nibs, no swirls, no scratches and man.... But it wasn't his daily driver!!! It's his garage queen.

I can say this... regardless of price... I see Tesla's... build quality, gaps, paint.... Don't even get me started on paint. I took paint readings of a Model S last summer... Not one panel had more than 2.5 /3 mils of paint!!!!! How about some more paint Elon!!!!!!

Please let us know how you make out... Personally I'd see about getting the $15K, then head of to a custom shop and draft up some cool designs, two tone stuff... maybe flames... LOL! :)
Sponsored

paul_g

I want to add one more thing! DO NOT let Ford or their contracted detailer wet-sand the car. Like I said above, new vehicles have 3 - 6 mil spec of paint, that's bare metal to the top of the PTG reading the depth... So, think of it this way, base primer, base coat, clear coat all equal 3 - 6 mils.

If cave-man detailer decides to throw a 1000 to 3000 grit 3M Trizact on a DA and go over the car, (what we call a "scuff & buff") they are doing you an incredible dis-service and will literally leave you with little to no paint for future paint-corrections. I saw this happen to a guy on the Autogeek forum. The areas that had about 3mils got burned off man....

IMO, I would never wet sand OEM paint... Custom shop paint, YES..... OEM, NO.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Wow Paul, thanks a ton for that write up that was very interesting to read. Unfortunately a re-paint of any kind is going to leave me unhappy, and I really don't trust even a Chip Foose job to last on a daily driver up here in Cleveland better than I think a factory job will. Aside from that them taking the car apart to do all this brings a host of other issues I never wanted to have as well, like creaks and rattles.

I will definitely keep everyone posted on my story. I really want a swap into the factory car I paid for. I will be hearing back this week from Ford corporate on their offer/next steps for sure after their engineer personally reviewed my car, which was supposed to have happened last Friday or Thursday.

I am not quite so particular about my paint as you, but I did have specific requests for no wash when I took delivery of this car + it currently still has no swirls in the paint, and I ordered it built just for me to minimize any other things that could happen to it before I picked it up.

paul_g

Wow Paul, thanks a ton for that write up that was very interesting to read. Unfortunately a re-paint of any kind is going to leave me unhappy, and I really don't trust even a Chip Foose job to last on a daily driver up here in Cleveland better than I think a factory job will. Aside from that them taking the car apart to do all this brings a host of other issues I never wanted to have as well, like creaks and rattles.

I will definitely keep everyone posted on my story. I really want a swap into the factory car I paid for. I will be hearing back this week from Ford corporate on their offer/next steps for sure after their engineer personally reviewed my car, which was supposed to have happened last Friday or Thursday.

I am not quite so particular about my paint as you, but I did have specific requests for no wash when I took delivery of this car + it currently still has no swirls in the paint, and I ordered it built just for me to minimize any other things that could happen to it before I picked it up.
Do you have any photo's? If they were posted above I apologize for not looking. In your case, I'd be hard pressed for Ford to not just replace the car. Send it off to the shop, repaint it then send it off to auction... Sadly sales folks have a saying; "There's an a$$ for every seat."

As far as rattles and such, I can state that really won't be an issue... Most rattles come from interior parts, and they won't be removing them. I removed a lot of interior parts to install my front/rear (hard wired) dash cams, and no rattles.

I also just recently learned a lot about the shipping rail-cars used to transport to logistics centers. After the cars leave Flat Rock they go on triple decker rail-cars... all with open slots for air (how brilliant...) So if it's raining, any salt, sand, hard-water is all mixed with the steel of the rail cars, then filters through the slots and gets all over the new cars. Then the new cars sit in a lot at the logistics center until the specific orders for dealerships get shipped via truck. I also learned that when they leave Flat Rock, they do drive them through an automated car-wash... So telling the dealership "not to detail a new car" may even be mute point. Ugh....

I'm learning that some of the marks I'm seeing on my new 19 GT/CS, 05 GT and even my wife's 13 Honda Fit are all consistent under a 30x lens and LED light. They're identical.

Here is what I know about hard water spots... There are three types (Type I,II,III)…. in a nutshell, a QD should remove Type I, compound and polish via machine should remove Type II, now..... Type III forget about it! Those are etched so badly they go down beyond the base level. After compounding and polishing these specific marks I've seen, I can state that somehow via shipping, they're type III and just need to live with them. They're not as visible with metallic paint or paint with color...

Anyway, I'm spouting all this because it's relevant info for anyone else purchasing a new car. The fact is *new* car isn't really *new*…. would be cool if we could pick them up from Flat Rock the minute they come off the line.... Wouldn't that be awesome???

The moral of the story, I once had a customer with a 911 GTS, had a few deep random scratches. We got them like 70% out.... They were nearly invisible to the unknowing eye... He asked why I didn't get them fully out.... I said, at some point, one needs to concede and cut their losses when it comes to automotive paint. If you chase every blemish and every scratch, your wife will send you to a psychiatrist first, and secondly you may end up with nice burn marks in your clear-coat.

Me, I'm at the point where the wife wants to send me to the psychiatrist... but from my customers stand point, that's why they like my work... I treat their cars the same. Things bother me to the point where I see it as a problem that needs solving, or if I can't solve it, at least have an understanding of the problem...

I had a 2005 Monte Carlo I bought brand new. The dealerships destroyed the car while on the lot, then had their cave-men try to repaint. I ended up having it repainted at their cost but at a custom shop. Car looked amazing... In 3 years put 156K miles on the car, it was in three accidents and finally the transmission went. So all that anxiety over pain was mute in the end. :)

Please let us know what they decide on your car... pictures would be awesome if you can post them.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Hi Paul, here is a dropbox link to the photos I took showing in detail the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9lygock25oz1a5/AACOEUI0hwA09ywIVBX6f9KDa?dl=0

You can see pretty clearly from these shots how the paint separated under the clear coat. It's happening all over the car, not just in these few photo locations I took pics of. Every body panel/door/hood/trunk/roof (and I have the black painted roof if that makes a difference) has this flaw.

I've had a few fancier cars than my Mustang and I kept them pretty nice, I'm used to things happening, you get them buffed out or polished and mostly removed. But this issue here is going to be a big problem down the road being that I live in Cleveland and daily drive this car! It's gonna rust like crazy if not taken care of, and it's more likely to rust in the future with a body shop paint job as far as anyone is told me.

I really hope for a buyback/swap offer. Ford Customer Relations told me last week they would call me on Wednesday with an update. I heard from my salesman that the district manager came by yesterday and the regional service manager is coming by tomorrow. An engineer apparently already went to look at it last weekend. Car has been moved back out of the body shop now and back to the dealer while all this is going on.

Sponsored

paul_g

Yeah, looks like robots didn’t get the edges of the panel.

Ford is definitely having some paint & body panel gap issues on the mustangs.

Hope they buy back the car!

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Ford Customer Relations called me today to initiate the buyback request. They advised me everyone who was sent to review the car recommended this action. So it looks like I am getting a buyback, even though they couldn't quite tell me that yet. The Ford rep submitted the request to that department for me, and now I wait to hear from them.

It's looking like Ford will be doing right by me in the end, and I will need to find another Mustang.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford Customer Relations called me today to initiate the buyback request. They advised me everyone who was sent to review the car recommended this action. So it looks like I am getting a buyback, even though they couldn't quite tell me that yet. The Ford rep submitted the request to that department for me, and now I wait to hear from them.

It's looking like Ford will be doing right by me in the end, and I will need to find another Mustang.

That’s good by them. So what will happen is your “case” will get deferred to Ford RAV which is the Buy Back division.

You will have the choice of:

1) Getting into another new Ford product of your choice (collateral swap - MSRP $ to MSRP $)

OR

2) Complete refund on your purchase and you walk away from Ford.

Either choice will be a process of which can be stressful, tedious and/or lengthy - depending on how Ford and Ford RAV handle the situation.

Do read up on the many RAV threads on here where I have posted a ton of valuable info and others who have gone through the process have also reported their experiences.

Best of luck with whatever choice you go with and glad you’re able to get out from under the “Lemon”.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
That’s good by them.
Thanks a lot Cobra Jet. It's already been a long process with a lot of stress, just knowing they are working to make things right has already taken a lot of the stress off.

My salesman called to ask me what option I would prefer, and I went with asking Ford to build me a new car like I originally ordered. He has taken that info to them and I am waiting to hear back.

He advised I will most likely receive a 2020 model and a collateral swap along with it.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
do you have to pay tax if you swap out cars? I doubt it, but the DMV here would be tryin to get 2-3-4k out of you just for registering a new owned vehicle.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thanks a lot Cobra Jet. It's already been a long process with a lot of stress, just knowing they are working to make things right has already taken a lot of the stress off.

My salesman called to ask me what option I would prefer, and I went with asking Ford to build me a new car like I originally ordered. He has taken that info to them and I am waiting to hear back.

He advised I will most likely receive a 2020 model and a collateral swap along with it.
Yay!
2020 and all it's improvements here w come!

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Bump for an update.

It's official - Ford is going to buy back my car + build me the replacement car I originally ordered. I finally got the RAV dept call today and confirmed my choice and now they are contacting my dealer to get the order going.

I originally ordered my car to have it just be mine, and it's great they are letting me repeat that choice. I did do a search within a couple hundred miles of me for a car similar to mine, but it just isn't out there.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support with this! I will be posting some pictures of my new Mustang hopefully in Oct/Nov! It will be velocity blue this time instead of magnetic.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Bump for an update.

It's official - Ford is going to buy back my car + build me the replacement car I originally ordered. I finally got the RAV dept call today and confirmed my choice and now they are contacting my dealer to get the order going.

I originally ordered my car to have it just be mine, and it's great they are letting me repeat that choice. I did do a search within a couple hundred miles of me for a car similar to mine, but it just isn't out there.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support with this! I will be posting some pictures of my new Mustang hopefully in Oct/Nov! It will be velocity blue this time instead of magnetic.
Congrats! That's an awesome outcome for you!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bump for an update.

Great to hear!

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I see my old car has been sold at a dealer. Posting my VIN here in case the new owner every discovers the paint issue, maybe you'll find it. Good luck and god speed.

1FA6P8CF7K5142507
Sponsored