Sponsored

Paint on the Bullitt and GT

lockwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2019 Bullitt, 2018 BMW M2, 2019 MX5 RFGT
How is the paint on your Bullitt/GT ? My Bullitt isn’t very good at all. One small chip in the middle of the roof. Several small bits of fluff or similar, not sure if they’re in the green paint or the clear. Couple of small scratches in the windscreen.
I know these aren’t top quality cars, but I expected better. Even my MX5’s paint and overall finish is better.
Are they all like this?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have a spot where the paint is thin, another place where it's heavy and a pot where it looks like there is some flash.

My 2003 Mach1 was similar. Sadly Ford's not improved paint in 16yrs.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The S550 paint is horrible.

I’ve never had prior vehicles where the paint gets chipped so easily - even when not driving on roadways or highways where there is any chance of road debris (ie: gravel or stones).

Has anyone looked at the edges or lips of the their wheel wells? I’ve had to touch up multiple areas where there are chips in these locations - and I have rock guards on the car since new. I’m not referring to the actual flat outer surface of the sheet metal, I’m talking about directly on the edge or lip of the front and rear fenders... the ONLY way these areas would be protected at all is if applied protectant film was wrapped OVER the edge...

F’n ridiculous.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mine's decent. Being Ruby Red is extra cost I wonder if it's a bit better quality?

My '16 in Magnetic had a few pieces of dirt in it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Mine's decent. Being Ruby Red is extra cost I wonder if it's a bit better quality?

My '16 in Magnetic had a few pieces of dirt in it.
Nope. The additional cost for RR and other like paints is due to the fact that RR is a 3-stage paint process because of the metallic flake and other pigments used.

The paint quality is still horrendous and the extra cost doesn’t deter chipping - that’s for damn sure.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I've seen better. This paint wants to chip if you look at it cross-eyed. I picked up a pair of chips at the front edge of my roof line last weekend without ever noticing the impact. To add to that, there's a visible 1/2" run in the paint on the lower side of my drivers door.

That being said, I do think the Kona Blue is gorgeous. The car is at the detailer today getting ceramic coating to go with the clear Xpel PPF already on the nose and rear impact areas, so perhaps that will help.

Last edited:

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The S550 paint is horrible.

I’ve never had prior vehicles where the paint gets chipped so easily...

F’n ridiculous.
This paint wants to chip if you look at it cross-eyed.
Could not agree more. I've never owned a vehicle that chipped so easily. I've had the car 2 months and already have new rock chips. Granted they are small, but I see them. Yes, the roads are garbage in Chicagoland, but no way should this thing chip so easily.

I got a new chip last weekend in one of the edges of the hood about midway up. Decent size chip. I never noticed a rock or anything hit the car. Get out when I got home, there it is staring at me.

I am beyond frustrated with it. It's my biggest complaint with the car.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have a spot where the paint is thin, another place where it's heavy and a pot where it looks like there is some flash.
That would make me wonder about a dealer repair. I don't think modern robots are prone to any of that.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Nope. The additional cost for RR and other like paints is due to the fact that RR is a 3-stage paint process because of the metallic flake and other pigments used.

The paint quality is still horrendous and the extra cost doesn’t deter chipping - that’s for damn sure.
Agree! my car has 1600 miles on it and already have to use both hands to count chips. And like others, I've changed my driving habits and follow further and try to stay off freeways to avoid damage. I think my paint chips while sitting in the garage lol

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Well...I guess I got lucky...my BULLITT’s finish and fit is perfect! I spent app 25hrs preparing then applying CQuartz UK 3.0...then Reload the next day...followed by the Elixir a couple of weeks later! I would say...it’s actually perfect!! The shine is simply amazing!! And this all new BULLITT Green is loaded with metallics, pearls, blues etc... incredible in the bright sun!!! My shop painter matched the Green on my Roush Spoiler perfectly!!

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That would make me wonder about a dealer repair. I don't think modern robots are prone to any of that.
They are 3 totally different places on different sides of the car (front pass fender/door jam, rear driver fender, and the Driver A pillar). They haven't really revamped paint in years. I mean look how horribly thin the GT350 paint is and how easily it chips.

The best thing I have ever done is ceramic and PPFing my car. I can at least say I have 0 chips so far.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
They are 3 totally different places on different sides of the car. They haven't really revamped paint in years. I mean look how horribly thin the GT350 paint is and how easily it chips.
Just takes one disgruntled lot-person who washes with a Brillo to result in some repairs.

Last edited:

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Those chips would drive me insane 12,000 miles ago. I had my repair technique down perfectly! Wet sanding, buffing, applying the touchup paint with a tiny paintbrush...more wet sanding and buffing.

Now, at 17,000, I'm over it! I just surrendered and now pop some Dr. Colorchip in them and call it a day.

Even with all the chip repairs, I get compliments almost every other day on how pretty the car is. We the only ones who will ever notice the imperfections. First world problems are just not worth the stress. Just keep her clean and the world will still think you're driving a cool sports car.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
1 chip in 1 year 5,000 miles with PPF and wheel well rock guard. Metallic Magnetic.

icodyonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I just touched up about 10 spots on the front of my hood and front bumper of my GT. My 19 Hyundai that I drove through snow storms with salt on the road didn’t have ANY chip at all. Awful paint job.
Sponsored