Sponsored

AC making a loud noise

sidhant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT performance pack
Hello All,

I need help with something thats driving me crazy over the past one month.
My car AC is making a loud noise (sounds like the fan is making it) which almost sounds like a big turbine running.

Not sure if it's just me notificing it now but it does not sound normal to me.

I took it for servicing and the mechanic said that its normal.
To his defence, the car starts making the noise when I have been driving it for about half an hour and he probably did not have that much time to test. (I dropped the car on my way to work and it had time to cool down probably)

I have attached a small video from outside the car (it was raining that day so apologies for the filthy exterior)

Has anyone seen or heard anything similar?
Do you think it's normal?

p.s The file is zipped cause it wont let me attach a video.

Thanks in advance :-)
Sponsored

Attachments

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
Have you opened the hood when you noticed the noise was there? If so did you notice where exactly the noise was coming from? Did anything look off?

OP
OP
sidhant

sidhant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you opened the hood when you noticed the noise was there? If so did you notice where exactly the noise was coming from? Did anything look off?
Nothing looked off to me when I opened the hood. But I am not necessarily an expert.
The reason I think its the AC/fan is because when it turn it off, the noise goes away after 3-4 minutes.

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Does your AC actually work well? It cools normally, but it is just making noise?

OP
OP
sidhant

sidhant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your AC actually work well? It cools normally, but it is just making noise?
Exactly!
At the end of the day, its no inconvenience but I am concerned if something might get worse if unchecked.
But its loud.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Nothing looked off to me when I opened the hood. But I am not necessarily an expert.
The reason I think its the AC/fan is because when it turn it off, the noise goes away after 3-4 minutes.
What do you mean 3-4min later? Once your fan stops rotating does the noise stop as well? Have someone turn the ac on/off while your inspecting under the hood.
If your saying 3-4min later it gets quiet, perhaps its your engine cooling fan. It will only come on when the motor is hot and turn off once its cooled to a certain temperature. It works by sucking air through your radiator to cool the engine coolant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I second what bigyzf says. Have someone click it on and off and inspect where exactly the noise is coming from. Fans, compressor, just find out a little more and let us know!

OP
OP
sidhant

sidhant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean 3-4min later? Once your fan stops rotating does the noise stop as well? Have someone turn the ac on/off while your inspecting under the hood.
The noise doesnt go away as soon as I turn off the fan, usually takes about 3-4 minutes before it eventually goes away.
If I do not turn on my fan at all while I drive, its quiet. I know I said AC in my post but I think its the fan.

But i'll investigate a bit more and post here.

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Based on the video it sounded like the cooling fan to me too, but I wasn't sure since I didn't hear it in person. Does the car keep a steady and normal temperature? Or do you notice it gets a little hot and then the temp goes down? It may be a thermostat if that is the case.
Sponsored