Sponsored

Wire gauge for factory tweeter harness?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
What is the wire gauge for the factory tweeter harness? I'm building a new connector so that I can use the factory harness connection with new tweeters - I'd like to use the same gauge wire as factory.
Sponsored

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Please post a build video or photos!

Ive tucked away audio upgrades for now as it seems a pain in this car.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The 2019 wiring diagrams show 18 AWG (spliced with the door woofer).

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Please post a build video or photos!

Ive tucked away audio upgrades for now as it seems a pain in this car.
What are your intentions in upgrading? Sound quality, a little more bass? Are you willing to sacrifice some trunk space? There are several build logs up already that may point you in a direction. @ahl395 is one that comes to mind. I think his stereo will rip your face off from the sheer force of it all.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your intentions in upgrading? Sound quality, a little more bass? Are you willing to sacrifice some trunk space? There are several build logs up already that may point you in a direction. @ahl395 is one that comes to mind. I think his stereo will rip your face off from the sheer force of it all.
Just looking for better quality highs. I’ve already upgraded the sub with a RF Punch - I’m good with the bass now. I have an Infinity center speaker ready to go, but before taking the dash apart, I figured I’d try upgrading the tweeters first since it’s relatively easier. Creating this harness is cheap and will allow me to switch back to stock and return the new tweeters if I don’t like the results.

Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I
Just looking for better quality highs. I’ve already upgraded the sub with a RF Punch - I’m good with the bass now. I have an Infinity center speaker ready to go, but before taking the dash apart, I figured I’d try upgrading the tweeters first since it’s relatively easier. Creating this harness is cheap and will allow me to switch back to stock and return the new tweeters if I don’t like the results.
I’m not really sure how to advise you on this as I simply replaced everything except the head unit. All of the wires were cut and connections soldered.

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Quality mostly, but I have no problem losing trunk space.

I have an Image Dynamics 12" in my civic and its PLENTY of bass for me. However moving between the two cars my simple ISS Focal setup blows the mustang out totally.

I think I want to amp a 3 way front setup and add a sub. Skip the center and rears.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Quality mostly, but I have no problem losing trunk space.

I have an Image Dynamics 12" in my civic and its PLENTY of bass for me. However moving between the two cars my simple ISS Focal setup blows the mustang out totally.

I think I want to amp a 3 way front setup and add a sub. Skip the center and rears.
That sounds like a solid plan. Factor in an 8 ch dsp and some door treatments and you’re good to go. Unless your handy with building boxes, I’d recommend getting a zen closure sub box. For the price they are great and they will build to spec.

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That sounds like a solid plan. Factor in an 8 ch dsp and some door treatments and you’re good to go. Unless your handy with building boxes, I’d recommend getting a zen closure sub box. For the price they are great and they will build to spec.
The speakers is my most difficult part I think. Unsure what to get. I like my focals, not many 3 way options.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
The speakers is my most difficult part I think. Unsure what to get. I like my focals, not many 3 way options.
Focal, Hertz, Morel, Dynaudio are some of the respectable brands of components that come to mind immediately. Not sure what the maximum mounting depth is for the 3.5” in the doors is though. That can limit options. If you’re not opposed to using raw drivers, Madisound and parts express have a good selection.

I did a mix and match with my speakers and have no regrets. The DSP will bring it all together.

Sponsored

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If im doing a DSP anyway I dont mind mixing and matching. I prefer focal sharpness I think.

And I know a guy at parts express and I live 45 min away :D

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got around to attempting to make the harness. Unfortunately discovered that it is not 18 AWG, as the wire wire not fit into the Molex connector. Gonna buy 20 AWG and try again.
Sponsored

Last edited: