Sponsored

Is the wire harness for center speaker the same as the tweeters?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Thamks to the great info on these forums, I made wire harnesses for the tweeters so that I could swap in new ones without cutting the factory harness. I now want to do the same with the center speaker, but I don't know if that harness is the same as the tweeters. Does someone have any info on this or any up close pics of the wire harness for the center speaker?
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
From what I have read (not heard) the center speaker is detrimental to the stereo imaging and sound quality of the audio system. People have been disconnecting the center channel speaker and have noted an improvement in the system. So try it without. All you need to do is get inside the dash and unplug it. I will be doing the center channel delete on my car at some point when I start upgrading the audio.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I was hoping to accomplish all of that at the same time so I don’t have to take the dash apart more than once. I plan to unplug the center speaker and take a listen, and if I like it I’ll leave it. But I’m also going to plug-in an Infiniti reference that I have ready to go and compare. My main issue is that the highs on the stock system just don’t cut it for me. I don’t think taking our the center speaker is going to help that. The infinity reference is a coax, so I’m hoping the extra tweeter add some Quality highs. I’ve tried a couple after market a pillar tweeters ( 4 and 6 ohm)and they are way too harsh, but I can’t find any 8 ohm tweeters. If the center channel modifications don’t cut it, it might be Time to start thinking bigger which I’m trying to avoid

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Well I was hoping to accomplish all of that at the same time so I don’t have to take the dash apart more than once. I plan to unplug the center speaker and take a listen, and if I like it I’ll leave it. But I’m also going to plug-in an Infiniti reference that I have ready to go and compare. My main issue is that the highs on the stock system just don’t cut it for me. I don’t think taking our the center speaker is going to help that. The infinity reference is a coax, so I’m hoping the extra tweeter add some Quality highs. I’ve tried a couple after market a pillar tweeters ( 4 and 6 ohm)and they are way too harsh, but I can’t find any 8 ohm tweeters. If the center channel modifications don’t cut it, it might be Time to start thinking bigger which I’m trying to avoid
I find that the sound stage in the Mustang is quite narrow given the current setup with the dash speaker enabled. That speaker is pulling the L-R channel separation inwards towards the dash. It's too aggressive. The perfect center channel is going to pull the vocalists out beyond the windshield on the center of the hood but do so in a way that it doesn't draw attention to itself. Doing this passively is difficult. Playing with attenuation and using a crossover to adjust the timing. Going the external amp and DSP route, you would be able to adjust and time align this very easily.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
To hopefully answer your question. This is the center from my 16 but shouldn't be any different.

57454662960__933D06DD-CC04-4F32-A05D-F6302960D1A6.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To hopefully answer your question. This is the center from my 16 but shouldn't be any different.

57454662960__933D06DD-CC04-4F32-A05D-F6302960D1A6.jpg
That's perfect - thanks. Looks the same as the harness on the tweeter.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just removed center speaker. Connected and disconnected while listening. not much difference without it. Put my ear up to it and the sound is just crap, so if anything it's just adding noise. Harness is not the same as tweeter, but since Im not going back to factory speaker I'll just cut the wires and use that harness.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Connected the infinity - the highs are nice and clear now. Its 3 ohm so slightly lower volume - perfect. I like it better than no center. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is the center channel a full range speaker, or does it have a mid range crossover to keep it like 500-8k hz?

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the center channel a full range speaker, or does it have a mid range crossover to keep it like 500-8k hz?
Good question - no idea.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Based on the pic supplied above, it appears to be a full range - as there is not any inline crossover present on that small harness. I could be wrong, but it just looks like a regular full range speaker.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I’m going to need to add the bass blocker to the infinity speaker now. It seems to be producing more bass then the factory center speaker, which isnt a good thing in my opinion.
Sponsored