Sponsored

Who else is Manual or Bust?

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
You want a DCT, that's fine by me. Really. But your preference shouldn't define the only transmission that a GT500 (or any other car, for that matter) is equipped with. No more than any preferences of mine should limit the options open to you.

"Lesser this, lesser that" . . . I guess even the Mustang is no longer immune to selling on the strength of some perceived snob appeal.

Kind of a straw man . . . though on the other hand are the average prospective GT500 buyers cross-shopping Lamborghinis and Ferraris?

Turning this around, I can't come up with any good reason for why the proponents of this DCT are so anti-MT. Like you just said, if you wouldn't want a MT in your new GT500, get yours with the DCT.

All you have to do here is take a "live and let live" attitude toward those of us who would only get such a car with a conventional 3-pedal MT. Let us worry (or not) about the performance gap and whatever image problem you're perceiving.

Norm
Obviously Norm we are the few. I'm also not sure where the anti manual hate or even the lack of support from fellow manual owners is coming from. Possibly it could be they would buy anything ford makes because there just fanboys or their just some serious racers that are out for #'s only. I understand both but until ford or racing is cutting me a paycheck I'm sticking with a manual.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
so your saying you agree, faster tech applies in all areas. if you want lesser capable tech, get a lesser model. Im an average consumer. i want the 500 51% because it has a DCT. average consumers are not cross-shopping gt500's with ecoboost mustangs.

nobody needs 4k oled tv tech, but i dont see people complaining about it having different features, or options not added that other companies do.. dont want it, dont buy it. not sure why manual or bust guys are wasting time on something they wont be buying :)!

We are just advocating that ford will offer a manual for the GT 500 someday. No different than the auto guys complaining about no auto offered with the PP originally. The complaint was valid and eventually ford offered an auto PP, which I welcomed. Different strokes for different folks! No reply needed but why even enter this thread if your happy with the DCT?

Last edited:

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
Then don't buy any modern supercar, or new Vette, because you can't get them with manuals. The GT500 is following that lead, will probably offer supercar performance, and I'm ok with that.
I'm OK with that too. As well as everyone's right in a public forum to express their opinions.

Animosity and disrespect are not necessary here. We're all performance enthusiasts that share the same passion. Some of us are more inclined to reach our goals via physical mechanical engagement with our machines. It's about beating our best time, not worrying about some dude with a better car.

With that said, DCT is a stunning improvement for knocking 10ths off of your lap times. However, for me the act of HP driving simply transcends being the fastest car on the circuit. Sure, everyone wants to be faster, but for many of the old guard (as myself) the computer generated shift is a compromise to all that we learned from our fathers and their fathers about the perfect analog shift. Nailing a heel-toe turn in without upsetting the car and understanding that the resulting utopian track out has as much to do with apex as it did with that perfect shift entry. I live for that sh*t!

I just can't get that with an AT.

I know, I know, my car is loaded with ECMs, ECUs, EDM's, eLSD, TM, stability controls and rev match. However, if I point you by, please know that all of the nannies are off. My guts, experience and the guts of my machine got me there. If you get around me because of faster shifting via a DCT, more HP and TQ... I'm good with that too. I will, be that as it may, likely remain your mirrors for the rest of the session.

There will ALWAYS be a faster car and a better driver. That's life.

FWIW, I actually considered listing all of the "hypercars" and "supercars" that still offer MT. Including a few notable manufacturers who discontinued it and then resumed production. That would make me a pompous a*s.:like:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren - No. Porsches GT2RS - No.

SLS AMG, AMG GT/S/R, NSX, - No. GT3s arent supercars.

If you value connectiveness and manual shifting, buy an Exige. E-LSDs, EPAS, and magneride take a lot away from "pure" driving and there's a lot of electric wizardry that make your car handle better.

My favorite part of this thread is that Norm complains about DCTs and has never driven a modern performance DCT equipped car :cwl:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My favorite part of this thread is that Norm complains about DCTs and has never driven a modern performance DCT equipped car :cwl:
I'm afraid you've been pitching nuance-level differences as being far more significant than they really are. Like penny differences on a dollar cup of coffee.

How about we start with the obvious difference between having to work three pedals instead of only two? By comparison, there is almost no difference between operating today's best-available DCT and its SMG predecessors. You're still working through microswitches and a system programmed and calibrated by "not-you".

Me, I honestly don't care how much better "not-me" can get the computers to work (or help me work) a car's transmission than I can by manually operating a shift lever and a clutch pedal. No matter if "better" is about mpg, measured performance stats, or anything else you can think of.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Then don't buy any modern supercar, or new Vette, because you can't get them with manuals.
And you're OK with that? I realize that neither of us has much say in those decisions.

The GT500 is following that lead, will probably offer supercar performance, and I'm ok with that.
Hmmmm . . . supercar performance: my way or the highway?

I'll always have a manual, my mustang has one, but I wouldn't mind a SuperCar or GT500 with DCT to go along with a manual car.
For as long as I have more than one car, I'll have more than one manual. What I'd want in a supercar/C8/GT500 includes the extra challenge of absolutely having to row my own gears.

Norm

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
And you're OK with that? I realize that neither of us has much say in those decisions.
With how much power and how fast supercars are these days, and the fact that all racecars are (as you call it): "automatic", I don't see any problem with it. As I said many times already, my 435hp Mustang is more than fast enough to put me in Jail on the street, and I can have just as much fun with it, as I could with 700hp. Actually, a 180hp Miata is more fun to shift, and requires far more shifting on the street than my Mustang. So your point there is moot when talking about supercars with 700+hp.

For as long as I have more than one car, I'll have more than one manual. What I'd want in a supercar/C8/GT500 includes the extra challenge of absolutely having to row my own gears.
Not going to happen. Go buy a carburated, manual steering, manual car. Times have changed to fuel injection, power steering (actually EPAS), and "automatics". Thankfully there are some affordable manual-equipped sports cars out still, but it's a dying breed and although it sucks, you have to face the music -and purchase accordingly. Life's tough. Get a helmet.

With 74 posts in this thread, it seems like you care a whole heck of a lot :giggle:
:cwl::crackup:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With 74 posts in this thread, it seems like you care a whole heck of a lot :giggle:
And I bet that half of them are because other people insist on trying to read things into my posts that aren't there. Like this one of yours.

I care about my transmission preference being squeezed out. I don't care how good "not-me" manages to make his not-a-manual transmission work.

Norm

Last edited:

sZedely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My personal preference is to have a manual transmission in my sports cars. I just love the feel of it. Also with my short attention span, having to manage a clutch, shifting and gas, manuals are a good thing. My perception of having paddle or button shifting seems too much like a 90's arcade game. There seems to be a disconnect between me and the car. I think that it's just my perception and feel of the matter, but we all have our own opinions. If it were up to me, i would offer the car in both options. Why not? With the added markup of the car, Ford wouldn't be losing any $$$ on the option. For the price, give the consumer what they want. After all, we obviously all have different wants, needs and reasons for what we would choose.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With how much power and how fast supercars are these days, and the fact that all racecars are (as you call it): "automatic", I don't see any problem with it.
Can you at least see how somebody else could [have a problem with it]? You might have to "step outside yourself" and ignore your own preferences for a moment.

As I said many times already, my 435hp Mustang is more than fast enough to put me in Jail on the street, and I can have just as much fun with it, as I could with 700hp. Actually, a 180hp Miata is more fun to shift, and requires far more shifting on the street than my Mustang. So your point there is moot when talking about supercars with 700+hp.
Are you trying to say that you, personally, have to drive a MT car hard before shifting it becomes enjoyable?

Go buy a carburated, manual steering, manual car. Times have changed to fuel injection, power steering (actually EPAS), and "automatics".
Now you're just trolling. Either that or you really don't understand how it is possible to embrace some of the more recent technologies while disliking others. Perhaps to the point of really not wanting anything to do with them. If it matters, I never did like working with carburetors. With EFI, a laptop and a few tables to edit was much nicer (it's been more than a few years, but yes, I actually have worked with EFI . . . by active choice).

Heh . . . I wonder if you'd still like EPAS as much if you knew what some of them are constantly doing pretty much the whole time you're driving. But let's leave that for another time and a different thread.

Get a helmet.
Not sure what your point is, but I already have one.

Norm

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
We are just advocating that ford will offer a manual for the GT 500 someday. No different than the auto guys complaining about no auto offered with the PP originally. The complaint was valid and eventually ford offered an auto PP, which I welcomed. Different strokes for different folks! No reply needed but why even enter this thread if your happy with the DCT?
slight difference with the auto PP offering as the R&D for the PP was already done so offering with auto cars was just another way to milk some option package money from a large pool of buyers. Not the same as developing a bespoke manual for a few hardcore stick only potential buyers.

It would seem that if you are "manual-or-bust" Ford has deemed you expendable when it comes to the GT500. maybe enough of you can drum up enough outcry to make them change their minds, but they are going to see how sales play out before they even consider it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The projected run is too short and the volume too little. In the historical context of Top Dog Mustangs (Fox and later years), Ford only offered one transmission. In the case of the 2020 GT500, Ford picked other than a manual transmission. That's the way it is for the S550 GT500, plain and simple.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm a hypocrite and want a manual, waaaaah
Reread my posts. If you're not going to "use" 700hp, you don't "need" 700hp on the street. You claim you want to shift and like shifting, yet you ignore the fact that you need to shift more in lower powered cars, which are more fun on the street. But rather you want ridiculous amounts of power in a manual, yet argue the lack of a need to use any of the power or rev range. You sir, are a joke.
Sponsored