cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had done this from the get-go. I currently have the stock V6 catback with V6 2.25" Roush ABs. I'm not seeing too many 2.25" x-pipes (I refuse to purchase Dronemaster)... I don't think it would be worth it to sell the V6 ABs and start from scratch. Would like to get the Steeda x-pipe, but am weary about using adapters - does anyone have a similar setup?
I have the GT catback with Roush ABs on right now, thinking about getting a shop to install a universal x pipe.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my Pypes ab and then installed the GT catback. My next move will probably be an x pipe but I'm going to keep it stock for awhile.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had done this from the get-go. I currently have the stock V6 catback with V6 2.25" Roush ABs. I'm not seeing too many 2.25" x-pipes (I refuse to purchase Dronemaster)... I don't think it would be worth it to sell the V6 ABs and start from scratch. Would like to get the Steeda x-pipe, but am weary about using adapters - does anyone have a similar setup?
Are you just trying to get it more loud? You could buy a universal x pipe 2.25" from ebay and get a muffler shop to weld it in replace of the stock resonator.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I have the GT catback with Roush ABs on right now, thinking about getting a shop to install a universal x pipe.
That would probably be about the same cost to be honest so I'd go this route for the other guy too. The Steeda pipe is great because of the price and fitment with clamps. If you're going to have to do adapters and worry about fitment, I'd just get a shop to weld in a universal X for $100 and be done with it.

Similar result, no fitment issues at all, and similar price.

edit » just saw your second post and wanted to note that many shops keep universal x's in stock (or make their own to stock) and it might come out cheaper to use theirs vs buying one online to bring in. All depends on the shop.

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Are you just trying to get it more loud? You could buy a universal x pipe 2.25" from ebay and get a muffler shop to weld it in replace of the stock resonator.
Yeah, I like the ones I hear on YouTube. I really would like the Steeda x-pipe. I'd trust that it's good quality over some shop's generic x-pipe which could rust/fail later, etc. Either weld in a generic 2.25" or buy the Steeda and use four adapters. Hmm.

Also which shop would truly weld correctly. They'd have to take off the entire catback to get the top weld.

Sponsored

jdowen2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1967 Mustang
Installed my free GT exhaust. 45 minutes to remove convertible bracing, 1.5 hours to install stock catback, 30 minutes to install bracing. First impressions is it is quieter than my stock exhaust, which I thought was really nice. I only drove it around the block. Have to change then will see what it sounds like. An impact gun would have been nice.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder what the result would be of replacing the stock resonator with the Magnaflow Tru X? I like the GT catback but it's pretty quiet. I don't want to add too much rasp with a plain X-pipe. I'm thinking the Tru X could bump up the volume while maintaining a nice tone. I expect it would be too tame for most of you guys but I could always change the mufflers later if I want it louder.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder what the result would be of replacing the stock resonator with the Magnaflow Tru X? I like the GT catback but it's pretty quiet. I don't want to add too much rasp with a plain X-pipe. I'm thinking the Tru X could bump up the volume while maintaining a nice tone. I expect it would be too tame for most of you guys but I could always change the mufflers later if I want it louder.
As a follow-up to this, for those who have replaced the stock GT resonator with an X-pipe and kept the stock mufflers, did it result in any drone? Doing this with the 5.0 apparently causes a very raspy tone at higher RPMs, but have you found it's not as much of an issue with the V6? The X-pipe sound clip in this thread sounds pretty good, but I've been wondering about these things, which is what led to the idea of using the Tru X.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I do have some drone but it doesn’t bother me that much it’s one of the things like it or you don’t
I am glad I put one on my car the sound is better in my Opinion

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think the difference between drone and audible exhaust is whether or not you like the tone at a particular steady RPM. If you like the sound, you'll say no drone and sounds great. If you don't like the sound, you'll say it drones like a sumbitch at XXXX rpms.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think the difference between drone and audible exhaust is whether or not you like the tone at a particular steady RPM. If you like the sound, you'll say no drone and sounds great. If you don't like the sound, you'll say it drones like a sumbitch at XXXX rpms.
Agree. The axle back I had was not a "good" sound at 1,700-2,000 rpm but sounded great out of that range. If someone has an exhaust that sounds "different" within a certain RPM range but they don't mind it, they should mention it because it's likely drone to others. :)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Well...cats are gone and I got a Tru-X for $70 so I went that way instead of the Vibrant Ultraquiets. Overall volume seems about the same and there is less rasp than before in my 5 minute drive from the exhaust shop back to work.

Got my tips lined up properly again, hopefully they stay that way and it was the full source of my false knock. I'll find out later tonight if I can get out and datalog.

Definitely noticed a bit of a difference in butt dyno and the smell of course. Not sure if the smell was more noticeable because I decided to do some neutral revs at the light then got stuck there lol

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Well...cats are gone and I got a Tru-X for $70 so I went that way instead of the Vibrant Ultraquiets. Overall volume seems about the same and there is less rasp than before in my 5 minute drive from the exhaust shop back to work.

Got my tips lined up properly again, hopefully they stay that way and it was the full source of my false knock. I'll find out later tonight if I can get out and datalog.

Definitely noticed a bit of a difference in butt dyno and the smell of course. Not sure if the smell was more noticeable because I decided to do some neutral revs at the light then got stuck there lol
Magnaflow Tru-X for $70? That sounds like a steal. I'm curious to hear what your exhaust sounds like now.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Magnaflow Tru-X for $70? That sounds like a steal. I'm curious to hear what your exhaust sounds like now.
Methinks this was mostly about lust for more power rather than a sound change. Wonder how much registered on the butt dyno? :)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Methinks this was mostly about lust for more power rather than a sound change. Wonder how much registered on the butt dyno? :)
100%, all I care about is hitting 300 D: I almost want to say I felt it more than the ported intakes, but also could be that it is accentuated by the intakes being ported already and flowing more air. Driving around and watching my X4, highest the knock went was 1.9 as well so I'm happy about that, still going to do a full datalog later on to see the difference.

@Fuse, I will work on getting a video at some point but right now I would say the overall volume level might actually be a tad lower and the rasp is lower than it was before to me. Getting my roof wrapped with a buddy tomorrow, maybe I'll be able to find a quiet road to get a drive by video done.

Also, Tru-X for $70 was courtesy of Amazon Warehouse. No damage to it at all and the box looked just fine to me too tbh
Sponsored