Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

ForgeMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 6 speed base
Shh lol. One can only hope. The 5w30 definitely has made a difference so far. The engine hums compared to when I picked it up yesterday with the 5w20. It's only a hunch, with nothing concrete to back it up, but I think LSPI plays a role in all of the 2018/2019 problems. More specifically the ticking I've heard that doesn't sound the same as the bbq tick. I tried to find some videos demonstrating what exactly it sounds like and one I found does sound very close to a lot of the ticking I see posted here. It just wasn't clear if that was, in fact, LSPI or something else entirely... I suppose that would make sense as to why a fresh oil change would cause the tick, then. Calcium seems to be a prime suspect for causing LSPI, and a fresh oil change would mean the detergents are fresh. Later on in the oils life cycle, the detergents break down and become neutralized, causing less LSPI, or ticking. Oil in the combustion chamber can also cause it, so even though the new motorcraft 5w20 is api sn+ certified, it's lower viscosity could leak into the combustion chamber. Double so if there's excessive piston slap and the rings aren't sealing properly. I'm partially talking out of my ass here, but it makes sense in my brain.
Do you have a video of the ticking?
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If LSPI is an issue you would think that E85 would eliminate that possibility.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

Here's the video I was talking about.

If LSPI is an issue you would think that E85 would eliminate that possibility.
Well how many are running e85 and have a tick at idle?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
LSPI is mainly caused by forced induction (boost) at low RPM. If the ticking was caused by LSPI, why would NA non DI Coyotes (pre-2018) tick?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Excessive connecting rod side clearance possibly.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
LSPI is mainly caused by forced induction (boost) at low RPM. If the ticking was caused by LSPI, why would NA non DI Coyotes (pre-2018) tick?
I don't think all ticks are equal. I'm not referring to the bbq tick that has been around since the beginning. I'm specifically referencing a slower tempo'd tick, similar to the video I just posted. When I had my car parked in my garage for the oil change, it had a tick that sounded the exact same. It was more of a deeper tick.... tick.... tick... instead of the igniter ticktickticktick sound. There's some videos people have posted on here that have made a similar sound, but claimed it's the bbq tick.

Now, as for the 18/19 not being boosted, they are running a higher compression ratio. The DI not running at idle should solve the problem, but a lot of the research I've read has said the exact cause of LSPI isn't certain. Again, nothing concrete, but some things would make sense then. Assume not everyone has the same tick, but thinks they do. One may be related to rod side clearance (bbq tick) and one is due to LSPI. That could explain why some people benefit from ceratec and other's dont (I don't think it would impact LSPI). Also why some noticed a change with pennzoil and others didn't. Either the ones that didn't weren't experiencing LSPI, or they weren't using one of the newer dexos gen2 sn+ bottles.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's the only explanation for a noise in the bottom end that doesn't cause long term damage.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there was LSPI going on (ie, "kocking"), I'd think someone who's logged engine parameter events would see knock sensors going off because of the LSPI.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If there was LSPI going on (ie, "kocking"), I'd think someone who's logged engine parameter events would see knock sensors going off because of the LSPI.
There has been, hasn't there? I don't know where the thread is (I didn't pay much attention to it) but I think someone was asking about their engine pulling timing due to knock. Everyone seemed to just lean towards piston slap and the mapping being in place to reduce the piston slapping.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There has been, hasn't there? I don't know where the thread is (I didn't pay much attention to it) but I think someone was asking about their engine pulling timing due to knock. Everyone seemed to just lean towards piston slap and the mapping being in place to reduce the piston slapping.
I thought I read someone logged engine parameters and didn't see any knock events going on while going through the 2000 RPM rattle range. Would have to find all the threads that talked about logs to get the info. Some people thought that excessive piston slap might also trigger the knock sensors.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I think I know what thread you're talking about. The topic was about how, if the rattle was piston slap, why wasn't it setting off the knock sensors. I don't remember the chronological order, but then there was another one that had someone saying their data log showed timing being pulled. Then I also remember seeing someone that posted the actual timing map of the engine, and was discussing how they pull a lot of timing down low. It apparently led the person to believe that Ford is aware of the piston slap problem but doesn't care and such. One of the fear mongering topics I try to avoid because, in truth, we're all just speculating.

I find it fun, honestly. I'm learning a lot more than I ever did from all of this and spit balling ideas is cool, but meh. I'm still standing by my theory, and it's inexpensive to test it. If I keep running this type of oil and don't have any tick, then I may be onto something. It's just something I can't prove, nor will ever really be able to because maybe I just got a diamond in the rough with my engine.

I'm no engineer, and won't ever claim to be. I'm a computer programmer who dabbles with cars for a hobby. However, I do often see big problems solved by the simplest solutions, but blown out of proportion because no one suspected the simple issue. An example: I just had a 1000 jobs run for routine maintenance, only to all just fail over the weekend. I come in Monday and everyone is having a heart attack, and the finger is being pointed at me. I spent hours trying to figure out what happened, only to stumble upon an agent that had an incorrect parameter added. One fat thumbed parameter brought everything to its knees. Now obviously it's apples to oranges, but the life lesson still applies. Like how one user posted that the A/C tensioner fixed their bbq tick. I don't recall if it ever came back or if anyone else had the same experience, but if it were the case then wouldn't that be something? This annoying sound that has plagued this engine since its birth fixed by a tensioner? Hard to test, though. Some people may have the tick I'm referencing, and some engines may have damage beyond the point of the tensioner making a difference, or it could simply just do nothing, but it doesn't hurt to try for those that want to.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled

Heres mine sounding bad.. Ceratec fixed my bbq tapping but now I have this =/ Dont think it was this loud before. I do have 3k miles on my oil so I will try getting it changed hopefully that helps. Probably going to 5w30.

Car still seems to run great though. Sucks that they have so many weird sounds.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine sounds exactly the same ... :(
My second motor to add as well ...

Heres mine sounding bad.. Ceratec fixed my bbq tapping but now I have this =/ Dont think it was this loud before. I do have 3k miles on my oil so I will try getting it changed hopefully that helps. Probably going to 5w30.

Car still seems to run great though. Sucks that they have so many weird sounds.

Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That sucks sorry you are having these issues, but people need to stop relying on these miracle additives to try and fix mechanical issues. Imo that sounds like rod knock a double tapping noise is evident as it goes through that rpm band, seeing that it's cold could also be excessive piston slap. That motor needs to come out and be inspected.
Sponsored