Sponsored

Trading my '15 GT for a slightly used '18 350R

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To me it's nearly the perfect car. I love to buy a really great functioning car with a little cosmetic damage versus paying huge for only a slight appearance improvement.

I'm sure if the rash bugs you there is a company out there that can help with it. I would either just paint the marks black or leave them alone. If you drive the car hard and regularly like it should be driven the wheels will be covered in brake dust anyway.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Tire needs immediate replacement. I completely do not understand tire life comment, car isn't even broken in....

OP
OP
moto vudu

moto vudu

No Guts - No Glory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 50 Yr
Tire needs immediate replacement. I completely do not understand tire life comment, car isn't even broken in....
The tread depth on a new Cup 2 tire isn't much. I'm assuming I'll need to replace the tires after 2 - 3k miles and I'll go with a more street friendly option.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Who knows how the previous owner bought, used or why they're selling it. It's basically new and covered under both bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties. As long as the wheels are not damaged beyond service, a little sandpaper and touch-up paint will cosmetically "repair" them. Obviously, replace that damaged tire (I'd recommend 4S's on all four corners due to zero tramlining). Before purchase, I would give it a thorough look-over/under with the aid of a dealership lift. Check to make sure the engine is original (the block is numbered per VIN on the driver's-side aft). If the motor has been replaced, it might be considered less desireable from a collectors' point-of-view...but that's 50 years away. If you plan to keep it long-term, then a new motor could be a bonus. It's a gorgeous color and an exceptional vehicle. Buy it now!

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I can tell you if you see that tread on the R it was not tracked even a single day or driven that hard. Street miles you can get 8k+ but the outside lines wear fast on the track

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I would check Ford's data base at another dealer and get all the services /info on the car.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm torn, great deal, if it's wheels weren't damaged.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
From what I've gathered, the original owner traded the 350R and a Raptor for a $100K+ German luxury car. I was told he owns a fairly impressive fleet of vehicles and trades for new cars often. It could be he was having issues with the R or maybe he felt it was too track focused/he wasn't driving it and wanted something else.
If at the end of the day you are comfortable then that is what matters. It is a beautiful car. I'd definetly try to get the dealership to engage the previous owner about the Owners Supplemental Pkg.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I’m a carbon fiber expert, don’t sand them. Don’t do anything to them because you can affect the structural stability. Just leave them alone or have an expert inspect if you are bothered by them. In my opinion it’s minor. Move on and enjoy that beautiful ride!

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to look at the deal logically to see if it makes sense and not just jump on it because it's in front of me. Lets say the person you know in FL with two '17 Rs would agree to sell me one at ~$67k. I would need to get it shipped to the west coast which would run me ~$2,400. I also would then need to sell my '15 GT privately and deal with that hassle. So I really wouldn't be saving any money going with your contact and I would be getting a '17 R with double the mileage and 1 year less warranty remaining to avoid taking the R I'm looking at locally with some cosmetic damage to the wheels. The other local dealers here are still asking for high 70s - low 80s for their new 350Rs. It seems to me that $67k for the R I'm looking at is a good deal even with the curb rash. I know curb rash on CF wheels would be an instant deal breaker for some, but it just hasn't made me want to pull out of this deal yet. I mean, the curb rash sucks for sure but it's just cosmetic and did nothing to take away from the driving experience I had while test driving it. There's also a chance I might be able to get some sort of minor repair... maybe paint over the rash to make it a little less noticeable?
Did you ever inquire about this one? https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...00-miles-in-socal-65-500.112330/#post-2386266

Sponsored

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Sounds like the curb rash doesn't bother you, and to me that's the biggest thing that would potentially bother me. Having a good deal right in front of you where you can just hand your keys of your used car and drive away with the R certainly makes things even more tempting, I know it would be for me.

If they are giving you a decent trade amount (plus tax trade value) and you are happy with the car, go for it. when I was looking at buying mine, the shipping and selling my old car was an shit-show and I'm glad I was able to just trade it in and drive away with a brand new R.

On a side note, that one pic shows damage to the tire, while they may not replace the CF wheel, I'd make sure they threw in a new tire.

Good luck!!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
OP, you buy the used R? Honestly, you can get MSRP these days (I posted 2 new ones in Arizona recently) if you look. Or check out the CA 2018 leadfoot gray linked in this thread for $65.5k. I've sat in it and it's sweet and flawless and has some extra goodies included. And lastly, I just picked up a brand new 2018 R from a dealer in TX for $65k. I know it's not the norm, but the point is that good deals are out there, especially as we push into Nov - Dec 2018. Just my 2c.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ts-read-first-post.61277/page-75#post-2385601

OP
OP
moto vudu

moto vudu

No Guts - No Glory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 50 Yr
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I just finalized the deal on the '18 R. I went back to the dealer and requested that they put the car on a lift so I could further inspect for damage. I really went over the entire car looking for flaws and couldn't find anything. They gave me more than I was expecting to get on my GT so I was happy with that. Also, I don't really notice the curb rash on the wheels unless I specifically look for it. After leaving the dealer I went for a nice drive then washed the car. I really love the color combo.

yhrcbif.jpg

iU0sKlb.jpg

83aXVjD.jpg

ZMearec.jpg

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Congrats! Where you at in TX?