Sponsored

Went to a larger tire-do I need an alignment?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I went from the stock 265/35-20 squared to a 285/35-19 squared. Do I need an alignment? I do not have any pulling or other steering anomaly; I just want max life out of the tires. I do rotate them regularly; every time I change the oil, in fact. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Will the larger tires affect the alignment? Outside of racing applications, no, typically you won't need to tweak anything just because you changed tires. If the alignment was good before, it should still be good. Its it a good time to check it anyway? It may be.

I feel its always a good idea to check your alignment as a prophylactic measure when you replace tires, since usually cars are due for an alignment about as often as they're due for new shoes, and because you don't want a bad alignment to shorten the life of your new tire investment.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, NightmareMoon. I was thinking along the same lines. Just a PITA to get done since my alignment place is nowhere near any route I normally travel. Figures, right? LOL! The alignment was dead-nuts-on before changing wheels/tires. I guess it's one of those things I need to get done, but not urgently. Thanks.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The alignment was dead-nuts-on before changing wheels/tires.

How are you sure about this? How long has it been since your last alignment? I ask because I always have customers come in thinking their alignment is perfect because it doesn't pull one way or another but when I put their car on the lift I find uneven wear.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
How are you sure about this? How long has it been since your last alignment? I ask because I always have customers come in thinking their alignment is perfect because it doesn't pull one way or another but when I put their car on the lift I find uneven wear.
Good point, Grimace427. I am under the impression the alignment is good to go b/c I have no pull at all. I can let the wheel go on a straight, level road and the car tracks dead-straight. I also haven't noticed any abnormal tire wear. I do rotate every 5K miles, so possibly I'm not seeing something. It's been more than a year since my last alignment.