Sponsored

Ford GT vs ZR1 at Virginia International Raceway

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Are the end if the day, it's great to see all of these cars being made, especially since they're faster than a lot of dedicated racing cars, and you need a pro driver to get within a couple seconds of it's limit.
Bingo!

That is, in the end, the cool thing about it. Amazing road cars, setting up lap times that are in the realm of full on racing cars. In this case, even better, two iconic American cars being discussed.

Very nice of you to come in here to comment. Thanks.

P.S. Less than impressed by the reliability of the Ford GT. Sounds like both cars provided to MT had problems. It is another price you pay (in addition to the $450K and the purchasing application drama) for a very low volume product.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
AWesome. Straight from the man himself!

Thank you much for sharing the details. Crazy how GM is trying to compete with your diagnostic testing for lap times.

I also hope you get the chance to really make a run with the purpose of pursuing a lap time.

In this day and age?, it's like you gotta GoPro everything. Just in case. LOL

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Billy, but here’s the REAL question of this thread;

Eagles or Pats?

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
So the results of Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2018 are in.

And the ZR1 was not even, not slightly faster, not just faster. It completely annihilated the Ford GT.
(same day, same track, same drivers, same methodology)

Corvette ZR1 is a full 6 (six) seconds faster than the Ford GT.

Lets hear all the excuses now.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 7.29.18 PM.jpg

Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Right, "It's hard to draw conclusions from journalist drivers" who have the same drivers, follow a consistent protocol for 12 years, on the same track.

Instead, it is relevant to compare the results from the day/drivers from C&D LL 2018 with "GM's driver & me" driving on a different day.

Got it.

This entire thread up until my post today was "It was not same day, same drivers - we can only compare when it is same day same driver".

Now we have same day, same driver, and the excuse is that we need to compare with another day another driver.

Geez.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Right, "It's hard to draw conclusions from journalist drivers" who have the same drivers, follow a consistent protocol for 12 years, on the same track.

Instead, it is relevant to compare the results from the day/drivers from C&D LL 2018 with "GM's driver & me" driving on a different day.

Got it.

This entire thread up until my post today was "It was not same day, same drivers - we can only compare when it is same day same driver".

Now we have same day, same driver, and the excuse is that we need to compare with another day another driver.

Geez.
Please read those 4 paragraphs. Their test procedure is far from "consistent".

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
Im not a pro driver by any means, but I have won over 50 club races and probably another 40-50 in shifter karts.

I can tell you that the ZR1 in that video had at least another second in it the way it sits.
He goofed up a little bit at the beginning of the lap, messing up his lines and getting too much wheel spin.

Also, if it's true that the alignment settings was according to the owner's manual (which I don't necessarily believe), then there would be another 1/2 second to be had by a proper track alignment.

Switching out the Michelins to something like a NT01, RE71R, would be another 2 or so seconds.

Now we are talking 35, 36 and that's a very fast lap time there.

I also think that the GT isn't as suited to that track as much as the ZR1 is.
I would like to see a comparo at Le Mans, for example. I'm pretty sure the GT would smoke the ZR1.

Just my $.02

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The Z06 and ZR1 has some of the most aggressive compounding of all Cup2s. RE71 and NT01s would be slower on that car.

Sponsored

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
The Z06 and ZR1 has some of the most aggressive compounding of all Cup2s. RE71 and NT01s would be slower on that car.
I haven't driven a ZR1, but I did drive a students Z06 at Spring Mtn, and the Cups got gummy real quick...

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I also think that the GT isn't as suited to that track as much as the ZR1 is.
I would like to see a comparo at Le Mans, for example. I'm pretty sure the GT would smoke the ZR1.
Where (which sectors) at LeMans do you think the GT would be faster to make up a 6 sec (on a 2.3x track) deficit?

The only place I can think of are the two very fast sweeping turns - that is good for at most 1 sec.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Good for the ZR1. If I had the chance to get either, I would get the GT either way. Way more collectible, and looks 100% better IMO.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
The Ford GT was designed specifically to win Le Mans. It was engineered for that purpose ... hence the V6 ... go ahead and ask a Ford engineer. It will not compete with the best the world has to offer ... sorry, but the truth.

On the other hand, my 2018 GT PP2 was not designed to be a track car. As much as I love it and the fact it can hold its own to a GT350 when called into action, for 3 laps or so. Unfortunately, Ford never intended it to be that car. They engineered it to the very edge but made sure they left out critical pieces that would have really made it amazing for the price. They only wanted the buying public to believe that it was equal to an SS1LE. There's the difference between marketing and reality. I knew when i bought it, that it would require a cooler or at the very least an exhaust wrap to fend off the "limp mode bug".

Am I disappointed? No ... I'm more embarrassed at what happens at the hands of the national media writers than anything. Lets face it ... Ford can be cheap. I'm sure Team Mustang asked for the coolers and were denied. Ford is also protecting their present halo car, the GT350 from being stood up by an inferior model. But, they are what they are .... and its not changing anytime soon.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The Ford GT was designed specifically to win Le Mans.
I think you are confusing the Ford GT road car with the purpose built race car carrying the Ford GT name.

I'm sure you don't think the Toyota Camry from Nascar has anything to do with the Toyota Camry street car.

I do not think the LeMans is substantially different than VIR to cause a 6 seconds over 4 miles swing.

As for the PP2, I doubt that the 1LE build budget is much different than the PP2.

I think the advantage that Chevy has is that they spread their performance platform across a huge number of models. The Camaro benefits tremendously from using the platform of much more expensive cars (Cadillac ATS, CTS) and from using the engine of the Corvette/CTS, with elements of the suspension and brakes shared amongst all four platforms.

Ford's Mustang GT platform is just on the Mustang. The GT350 engine is made in tiny quantities.

The rear diff of the ATS-V, CTS-V, SS 1LE, ZL1, ZL1-1LE, Z51, Grand Sport, Z06 ZR1 for example are all the same E-diff. It can be engineered right because it can be amortized across all those cars.
Sponsored