Sponsored

Ford's Investment Rating Downgraded

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The stock market is driving everything if your company doesn't make X amount of profit then your stock is junk and they put you out of business.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The stock market is driving everything if your company doesn't make X amount of profit then your stock is junk and they put you out of business.
Sort of. You can also hit your numbers, and be hurt by market news and predictions. I have a lot of Cummins stock, as an ex-employee. They were hit during the announcement of the Tesla class 8 trucks, as wall st felt this was a competitor to Cummins projects. Silly, since Cummins has been working on hybrid and electric trucks for quite some time, and are further along in development of a marketable version.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no tariffs in place, as of now, right?

I'm sure they have to plan ahead, but..

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm buying at $7.25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Let's not get too blatantly political. That usually leads to a big argument.

But yeah, our steel prices keep climbing, and our imports/exports are currently a mess. So much for that tax break giving us a boost...
Yeah man. The economy is in such bad shape right now. Are you nuts?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I believe this is correct but Trump just threatened China by Monday. That's why the market slipped just before the bell.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Ford woes aside, the economy and markets are doing fantastic by any objective measure. There are things that need to be fixed...such as China stealing $300-$600 billion per year in intellectual property and severe restrictions on US business there. Some individual winners and losers, gains and losses while the battle for the best possible trade deals are being waged.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yeah man. The economy is in such bad shape right now. Are you nuts?
The economy is made up of hundreds of industries. The auto industry is a massive one, but not directly related trends in the overall economy. Most US auto companies have basically been stable since the post recession boom in 2011, while the overall economy has been growing since 2010. The only reason we aren't laying off right now, is partially due to lean practices put into place during the recession and due to some tax breaks by the latest tax plan. But management is already prepping for a long trade war. We aren't backfilling when people leave, and they reduced bonus/raise averages for 2018/2019. So no, I am nuts. I actually rely on this industry to feed my family. I don't give 2 dookies about partisan politics.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

I believe this is correct but Trump just threatened China by Monday. That's why the market slipped just before the bell.
Tariffs on steel and aluminum started on June 1st. It wasn't just a threat. Retaliatory tariffs by Canada, EU, and China started shortly after (July). Companies like mine get double screwed through all of this. Not only do we have increased material costs now, thanks to the increased price of steel overall, we also get nailed by the tariffs when bringing in specific components needed to complete assembly of our parts. If you think is just hurting the bonuses of wealthy CEOs, you would be wrong. The price increases will be passed along to the consumer. Many auto manufacturers have already stated they would be increasing the prices of their vehicles to make up for all this. Ford, GM, BMW, Volvo, Toyota, etc... have all warned against these tariffs.
Screwing an industry that employs over 2 million to artificially boost an industry that employs 90k isn't just crony capitalism, it is illogical.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
He is don't you see jobs that are out there now. He has done more in his time in office than Obama did in 8 years.
As I warned the other guys, let's not start down this road.
Sponsored