bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I would not expect a stock GT to keep up with a Vette- from a dig, roll or anywhere. I would not pull my GT up against a Vette at the track or anywhere period.
Kind of a loser defeatist attitude. You still race the driver. Its not like a Vette is any faster in a drag race.
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I love that path, and beating everyone in town!

I agree but then you are starting down that path. What do you want to beat after the Z06? I supercharged my Scatpack and never lost to a Z06 but that's because I beat them all off the line. My closest race was in an 1/8 mile track when his ET was 0.01 seconds faster but reaction time can make up for some hp.
I'm not going supercharge my Mustang GT and we have no E85 here so I'll just enjoy driving my car as it is.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Boost it and be done with him. That is the only way to go. If he beats you by 1.5, then when you come back and race him again you are going to just need to drop his ass in the dirt. No need to mess around and keep it close. What fun is that?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Kind of a loser defeatist attitude. You still race the driver. Its not like a Vette is any faster in a drag race.
I wouldn't consider it to be a "loser defeatist" thing. More of acknowledging that there are faster cars. Dude went in against a faster car, gave it his all, and clearly lost. None of us can look down on him because the Vette is definitely faster. Now if he had lost to a stock Evo then there would be cause for alarm. But the Vette had the advantage. His only chance would have been if he could out drive the guy.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
. His only chance would have been if he could out drive the guy.
A
I wouldn't consider it to be a "loser defeatist" thing. More of acknowledging that there are faster cars. Dude went in against a faster car, gave it his all, and clearly lost. None of us can look down on him because the Vette is definitely faster. Now if he had lost to a stock Evo then there would be cause for alarm. But the Vette had the advantage. His only chance would have been if he could out drive the guy.
The Vette has no advantage in a 1/8 or 1/4 mile race. Posted times in the major magazines are low 12s for the Vette. Low 12s for the Mustang. Both trapping in the 118-120 range. I'm sure there is a guy somewhere. On a chevy forum that claims he ran an 11.4 stock.:facepalm:But to my original point. You still have to out drive the guy next to you . When your drag racing. So thanks for agreeing with me.

Deleted member 33561

It depends on the year of the Corvette. There are a lot of them I can beat with my Mustang. The newer ones are mostly a drivers race. They come with an advantage off the line because they have bigger tires. Same with the Camaro's. My 2003 Vette had a 295 rear which helped it do about 180 mph but not great off the line. The Michelin tires that came on my car are practically useless in a dig. If you want to drag race get some tires first and go to the strip. It is fun and there is no need to race on the public streets.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A
The Vette has no advantage in a 1/8 or 1/4 mile race. Posted times in the major magazines are low 12s for the Vette. Low 12s for the Mustang. Both trapping in the 118-120 range. I'm sure there is a guy somewhere. On a chevy forum that claims he ran an 11.4 stock.:facepalm:But to my original point. You still have to out drive the guy next to you . When your drag racing. So thanks for agreeing with me.
Yet OP lost to such a degree that he felt he needs boost. And you yourself advised him that "E85 tune would do the trick". And several others kinda agreed that the Vette is faster. And nobody was shocked that he lost. So if it has no advantage, then your advice should have been that all he needs to do is practice driving the car and he should be even. So it does seem that we're in agreement in a round about way given that you also think he needs to mod his car to win.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, if you throw a few mods at your car then you should be able to take them out. Start with the basics, tune/intake/exhaust. You'll add HP, throttle response, the engine will breathe better, and you'll shave some weight. If that doesn't do the trick then go to the next step with IM and LTs. That should do the trick. And while you're at it, practice your launching and hit the track a few times. A little practice goes a long way.

Deleted member 33561

I think the OP is not wanting to just win by a little. He wants to win by a lot and the easiest way is slap on a blower and be done with it. Personally I would rather stay in the Mustang/Camaro/Vette/Scatpack class and have fun trying to beat them in a close race.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I think the OP is not wanting to just win by a little. He wants to win by a lot and the easiest way is slap on a blower and be done with it. Personally I would rather stay in the Mustang/Camaro/Vette/Scatpack class and have fun trying to beat them in a close race.
Unfortunately the Corvette is not in the same class as Mustang/Camaro/Scatpack. Stock vs stock an 8 speed auto Corvette should walk away from all of those three. I mean people hype up the 18 gt with 10 speed auto but there is a limit.

The mustang as others stated at least needs an E85 tune and still rely on the 10 speed to keep up with the Vette. Headers, intake and other NA modes should open the gap in the favor of the stand. Blower on any 18 gt doesn’t matter manual or auto as long as the driver can upshift even with granny shifts should be able to blow the doors off a stock Vette. Blower is an overkill!

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Has OP answered if manual or A10?

If A10 id get the usual OPG and get a hellion kit or a CPR kit. Drive it in low boost to kill the stingray. If friend gets z06, turn up the boost and let the 5.0 eat!!!

Deleted member 33561

I just looked up a "Motor Trend" article on the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. They said the 7 speed manual did 12.2 in the quarter and the 8 speed auto did 12.0 in the quarter. My Scatpack did make a 11.979 run in Montgomery Al. It was stock except I put some 275/40 tires on the rear because it came with 245/45 tires. More usual for it was about 12.0-12.2 depending on the DA. That puts the Corvette right in the ballpark. I believe The 2018 Mustang A10 runs in the 12.0-12.2 second range under good DA. To me that makes it a driver's race. I think the Mustang needs more rubber on the rear before starting any mods because it spins these Michelins too easy

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I just looked up a "Motor Trend" article on the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. They said the 7 speed manual did 12.2 in the quarter and the 8 speed auto did 12.0 in the quarter. My Scatpack did make a 11.979 run in Montgomery Al. It was stock except I put some 275/40 tires on the rear because it came with 245/45 tires. More usual for it was about 12.0-12.2 depending on the DA. That puts the Corvette right in the ballpark. I believe The 2018 Mustang A10 runs in the 12.0-12.2 second range under good DA. To me that makes it a driver's race. I think the Mustang needs more rubber on the rear before starting any mods because it spins these Michelins too easy
I am under the humble impression LTI vettes are easy 11 second cars from the factory.

Deleted member 33561

I'm not familiar with the different versions of the Corvette. The magazine article was the first one I found and did not look further. It said in 2017 the Grand Sport was the most popular Corvette. Probably because it's in the 55K-60K range. Honestly if you really want to drag race a Mustang I would suggest just add a blower to it and put some drag radials on it.
Sponsored