Sponsored

Switch to full syn?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Would there be any harm in switching to a full synthetic at 3K miles?

Hell, I'm sure it's just fine keeping the factory oil to 10K or OLM. It's just after owning Euro cars for so long it feels wrong to use a blend.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i switched over on my old 16 at 1500 miles... my s/c 17 is syn since day one

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Would there be any harm in switching to a full synthetic at 3K miles?

Hell, I'm sure it's just fine keeping the factory oil to 10K or OLM. It's just after owning Euro cars for so long it feels wrong to use a blend.

No harm. Minimum syn blend. Full syn will offer a little extra protection and longer oci.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If you are just driving it as a daily, use the Ford semi-syn blend and move on to other things in life. When the car says to change the oil, change the oil (assuming the counter has been reset at your last oil change). The first oil change I prefer to do at 2,500K though. You can go to synthetic if you do your own oil changes. Use the Ford filter.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
After reading about all the ticking after first oil change I'm a little worried now. Perhaps it's best to stick with the syn blend?

I have not had any ticking issues.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Like I said, unless you are tracking/autoX/drag racing or do anything beyond a normal range of driving, the Ford semi-syn oil is fine. Synthetic oil does not cause ticking.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

After reading about all the ticking after first oil change I'm a little worried now. Perhaps it's best to stick with the syn blend?

I have not had any ticking issues.
Like the cat said, full syn oil doesn't cause ticking. On the other hand, too thick of an oil or a different oil filter could cause ticking. If a different oil filter causes ticking, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
OP, I switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and a Motorcraft FL500S filter at 27xx miles on my 2018 GT and have had zero issues. I am coming up on 10K miles and about to change oil again. No BBQ ticking or any noise from the engine that is to be of concern. I daily it and push it hard when I can and its been solid so far.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Depending how much you drive.
I put maybe 3000-4000 miles a year on mine so MC 5W20 is plenty.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OP, I switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and a Motorcraft FL500S filter at 27xx miles on my 2018 GT and have had zero issues. I am coming up on 10K miles and about to change oil again. No BBQ ticking or any noise from the engine that is to be of concern. I daily it and push it hard when I can and its been solid so far.
That is basically what my plan is.

It's probably unnecessary but I recall a few incidences of manufacturers having to revise intervals and recommendations because of issues on the original schedule. This is the first gen revision of a rather high output engine.

I just DD but every so often I'll take it to the red line merging onto the highway (if nobody is around).

Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I use Mobil1 Full synthetic 5w20. Considered switching to 5w30, but haven't yet. Only change it when the oil life % gets low, which is usually around 1 year / 10k miles.
Using Motorcraft filters now, but when the warranty is up, I'll probably switch to Mobil1, K&N, or whatever premium one is on sale at the auto store that month.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone know exactly what Ford uses as the factory-fill oil? I'd like to think they at least use a semi-synthetic (but I have no idea).

Corvettes and V8 Camaros have come with full-synthetic Mobil 1 for years, as far as I know.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
5-20 syn blend from the factory

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Opening this can of worms. Mobil 1 makes some full synthetic oil using group IV base stock , PAO (poly-alpha-olefin) full synthetic base stock. This is not what they add at the US factories. This is also not the oil you get at Walmart. That oil is Group I, II, and III blended base stock (Dino) oil. They are allowed to call this a full synthetic in the USA only because a judge said they could.
Lee

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Opening this can of worms. Mobil 1 makes some full synthetic oil using group IV base stock , PAO (poly-alpha-olefin) full synthetic base stock. This is not what they add at the US factories. This is also not the oil you get at Walmart. That oil is Group I, II, and III blended base stock (Dino) oil. They are allowed to call this a full synthetic in the USA only because a judge said they could.
Lee
In other words, the Ford semi and mobil 1 are nearly equivalent.
Sponsored