Sponsored

Couple of tuner device questions

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thinking that now is as good a time as ever to get a flex fuel E85/93 octane tune.

I've been searching around and there seem to be a lot of great tuner companies ... but my question is around devices.

• What devices work with a Mac? I don't mind running a VM to do software updates to the device but would prefer to be able to drag-n-drop tune files to the device without windows being required. I know the nGauge works with an SD card here.
  • What tuning devices will allow me to see the quality of the E85 fuel I am running?
  • How is the E85 quality represented in various tuners? An octane level? Or do y'all look at knock and use that as a proxy for fuel grade/quality?

Sounds like the nGauge checks my boxes but want to make sure that the SCT X4 isn't also capable of this as well.
Sponsored

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong but doesn't the bdx load updates and tunes over WiFi? I'm not sure how this works with different tuning companies though.

Thinking that now is as good a time as ever to get a flex fuel E85/93 octane tune.

I've been searching around and there seem to be a lot of great tuner companies ... but my question is around devices.

• What devices work with a Mac? I don't mind running a VM to do software updates to the device but would prefer to be able to drag-n-drop tune files to the device without windows being required. I know the nGauge works with an SD card here.
  • What tuning devices will allow me to see the quality of the E85 fuel I am running?
  • How is the E85 quality represented in various tuners? An octane level? Or do y'all look at knock and use that as a proxy for fuel grade/quality?

Sounds like the nGauge checks my boxes but want to make sure that the SCT X4 isn't also capable of this as well.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
you have to get an e85 test kit to check the the ethanol level. yes the ngauge should would with an OS as you just drop files.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
you have to get an e85 test kit to check the the ethanol level. yes the ngauge should would with an OS as you just drop files.
I've heard people on the forum mention that they can see some kind of stat/number somewhere that will suggest the octane level of your fuel mixture?

Sponsored

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
I've heard people on the forum mention that they can see some kind of stat/number somewhere that will suggest the octane level of your fuel mixture?
Alch% PID on the nGuage.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
The ease of use of the nGauge is hard to beat. I love the ability to easily log the car while being able to monitor a bunch of engine perameters in a nice clean setup. I do believe it has the ability read ethanol concentration as well.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the ngauge will work with a mac, as you need no software to make it work

if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out
Sponsored