Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
just picked up my GT from dealer following PP1 install. So far I am pleased with the results on the butt dyno. I'll try and get to the track in the next week or 2 and see how it does.
Sponsored

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
So this morning I picked up my 2016 GT after the PP3 install. I drove mostly freeway miles to work. What I noticed was crisp throttle tip in and a smoother, less peaky midrange. The up top power is definitely there, but I didn't get a chance to shift at WOT at the new, higher redline. It feels just as fast just not as punchy in second gear (3.31s). This kit will hold my interest until the next big thing, maybe carted long tubes and/or FI.

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
In my previous post I neglected to mention that I was commenting on my perceived differences between pp2 and pp3.

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
So this morning I picked up my 2016 GT after the PP3 install. I drove mostly freeway miles to work. What I noticed was crisp throttle tip in and a smoother, less peaky midrange. The up top power is definitely there, but I didn't get a chance to shift at WOT at the new, higher redline. It feels just as fast just not as punchy in second gear (3.31s). This kit will hold my interest until the next big thing, maybe carted long tubes and/or FI.
That's exactly how it should feel. PP3 makes quite a bit less power under the curve when compared to PP2.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That's exactly how it should feel. PP3 makes quite a bit less power under the curve when compared to PP2.
Under the WOT curve taking into account shift points, PP3 has a considerable more area under. It’s faster as long as you use the correct RPM range.

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Loving the PP1. Sounds a little healthier as well, is that possible or just placebo?

Can't wait to try it at the strip and see how it does. I have CB005, GT350 halfshafts and drag radials going on soon as well.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Went our for for a drive during lunch from work and these are some of my observations.

It is a little louder, and a bit more burbles when coming off throttle.

Pulls strong, rolled into the throttle in 1st gear, broke tires loose, shifted around 5500 to 2nd and rolled into throttle again and broke tires loose until I lifted off throttle.

BTW I run 94 octane in it, so don't know if that is being taken advantage of or not.

Smiles ensued :)

LucaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I can't wait to get my PP2 done

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT

Here you go:

42211527171_318743b5fa_b.jpg

PP3 makes about 7% more power than PP2. PP3 makes about 14% more power than Stock. These are based off of MotoIQ's dynos. Same car, same dyno, same day. Note that MotoIQ had to use 4th gear as they had 3.31 rear end. So the numbers are a bit low (about 10~15 hp) due to gearing loss. Dynos ideally should be done in a 1:1 gear (aka 5th on the GT or 4th gear on a Camaro SS). Also note the PP2 actually revs about 150 RPM higher, but because I integrated every 250 RPM I had to chop it off (not quite enough resolution). But it's close enough to give you a good idea of the power band.

PP3 trounces PP2 and the LS 6.2 in the latest Camaro / Corvett by quite a bit. Braski ran an 11.86 with just a PP2, drag radials and IRS rework with SP080 lowering springs on a 6M PP GT. He ran 1/2 second faster after the PP2 no other changes. These tunes REALLY wake up the 5.0!

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

After looking at this chart I'm glad I went with the PP2 over the PP3. More power overall where you need it. Plus at $600 shipped vs. $1800 it's a hell of a bargain.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
After looking at this chart I'm glad I went with the PP2 over the PP3. More power overall where you need it. Plus at $600 shipped vs. $1800 it's a hell of a bargain.
If you want to go fast, PP3 is the way to go. If all you care about is mid range power and you never run to redline, there is nothing wrong with PP2.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I dunno. Maybe if I was drag racing, but that doesn't appeal to me. Hurry up and wait, all for a few (albeit exhilarating) seconds in the seat. Once was enough. I prefer curves, elevation change and seat time. Area under the curve is what you need for that situation, unless you want to end up in the wall or Armco.

PP3 doesn't start making more power until after 6500. Except for drag racing I would wager the vast majority here might be at that RPM range 0.01% of the total time behind the wheel. Below 6500...all day long.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yeah I dunno. Maybe if I was drag racing, but that doesn't appeal to me. Hurry up and wait, all for a few (albeit exhilarating) seconds in the seat. Once was enough. I prefer curves, elevation change and seat time. Area under the curve is what you need for that situation, unless you want to end up in the wall or Armco.

PP3 doesn't start making more power until after 6500. Except for drag racing I would wager the vast majority here might be at that RPM range 0.01% of the total time behind the wheel. Below 6500...all day long.
In any type of racing the PP3 will be quicker. The funny thing about cars is they have transmissions that allow you to instantly access the correct powerband. If you are waiting for power, I suggest you downshift first.

And you keep on saying area under the curve...the PP3 has more. Yes, it’s up higher....but there is more of it, and more RPM to work with.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny thing about road courses is they will instantly make you wish you had a wider powerband, or if possible, different ratios in your gearbox. :doh:

Don't tell the LS 6.2 I said this, but after having done more sessions racing at Road Atlanta than I can remember, I'd would rather have its curve than the PP2 or PP3. :hail: :lol:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Funny thing about road courses is they will instantly make you wish you had a wider powerband, or if possible, different ratios in your gearbox. :doh:

Don't tell the LS 6.2 I said this, but after having done more sessions racing at Road Atlanta than I can remember, I'd would rather have its curve than the PP2 or PP3. :hail: :lol:
Hmm, sounds to me like you don't want to fully utilize the upper powerband of the PP3.

A simple shift of the LS powerband over the PP3 will show you exactly how much horsepower you're losing out on with the LS.

powerband_shiftjpg.jpg

The area above the pink/red is the real advantage the PP3 has over both the PP2 and the LS...and it's significant (and wider than the LS).

If you use the powerband of the cars correctly, the PP3 will shine. If you try to put around in lower RPMs attempting to compere these...then of course the PP3 is going to feel sluggish. Use the right gear for the powerband.
Sponsored