Sponsored

2020 GT500 Mustang Caught Testing Uncovered For The First Time

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Y'all are pretty disappointing. How have you NOT seen the teaser video - uploaded to Ford's corporate YouTube channel no less!

And the teaser image they put out at a media event:

105068182-GT500-High-Res.720x405.jpg

This camo wrapped car literally matches those teasers in every detail if you look closely.

:doh:
Exactly. And it may he the best looking mustang ever.
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Glad to see Ford upgraded the front end to resemble its previous muscular look. Gone is the squinty catfish! With the wider fenders the front end looks like the head of a snake. I do like the new taillights being added.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Glad to see Ford upgraded the front end to resemble its previous muscular look. Gone is the squinty catfish! With the wider fenders the front end looks like the head of a snake. I do like the new taillights being added.
I hope you’re not expecting it to look like older models. Outside of the headlights and rear, there is not much resemblance. The front is a huge departure. But it’s a good one.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
All these "ford realized their mistake" comments about the front end are simply idiotic.

Ford didn't use the 15-17 front end because "it looks better", they used it because they've already done all the aero testing for it with the GT350. Chevy does the same thing with their top dog models, they keep the front end the same as the pre-refresh and update the rear end.

Also, last time I checked, theres a rule on this forum about refresh bashing, no?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
But really, I am disappointed to see them not upgrading to the 2018 style front end. I feel like it would have helped a lot of the stubborn 2018 haters warm up to the design. That's what happened with the 15-17; people hated the new generation cars, but when they GT350 came out, they started warming up to the 6G. Hell, even some people will say "I don't like the 6G, but the GT350 looks great".

I know I keep saying this, but if Ford would have gone for this look, the new GT500 would've looked killer
2018 mustang race.jpg

Sponsored

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Interesting that they went with a separate caliper for the parking brake.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
But really, I am disappointed to see them not upgrading to the 2018 style front end. I feel like it would have helped a lot of the stubborn 2018 haters warm up to the design. That's what happened with the 15-17; people hated the new generation cars, but when they GT350 came out, they started warming up to the 6G. Hell, even some people will say "I don't like the 6G, but the GT350 looks great".

I know I keep saying this, but if Ford would have gone for this look, the new GT500 would've looked killer
2018 mustang race.jpg
That doesn't look that good. Bucktooth overbite. I am extremely happy they didn't go backwards on the front end like the 18.

Also they redo all the testing for the GT500 anyway. The parts are unique, even if being derivative.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't look that good. Bucktooth overbite. I am extremely happy they didn't go backwards on the front end like the 18.
Looks are subjective, I guess. Everything I've seen of the GT500 looks awful in my opinion. But different strokes for different folks :shrug:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Also they redo all the testing for the GT500 anyway. The parts are unique, even if being derivative.
Yes, they redo testing, but having a previously developed base gives them a head start. Plus, if the whole thing about the carbon-composit front support is true, that's another leg up they have on production that can be a cost cutter and a time saver

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
All these "ford realized their mistake" comments about the front end are simply idiotic.

Ford didn't use the 15-17 front end because "it looks better", they used it because they've already done all the aero testing for it with the GT350. Chevy does the same thing with their top dog models, they keep the front end the same as the pre-refresh and update the rear end.

Also, last time I checked, theres a rule on this forum about refresh bashing, no?
No more idiotic than the 18 owners saying the new car is ugly and a step back! The new gt500 is definetly not ugly, and the use of the 17 headlight are functional for aerodynamics.

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I hope you’re not expecting it to look like older models. Outside of the headlights and rear, there is not much resemblance. The front is a huge departure. But it’s a good one.
I am not expecting it to look like the older models, I'm glad to see the front fascia was not lowered and remained a similar height to the 15-17 model. I think it looks great so far, and resembles a snakes head, which the 15-17 headlights further perpetuate.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
No more idiotic than the 18 owners saying the new car is ugly and a step back! The new gt500 is definetly not ugly, and the use of the 17 headlight are functional for aerodynamics.
Here's the difference... one is displayed as personal opinion, one is being used as some sort of validation that their opinion is fact. To say that you think a car looks ugly is COMPLETELY different than to say "that car is so ugly that the company changed it" although it has nothing to do with the appearance. That's what makes it idiotic

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Here's the difference... one is displayed as personal opinion, one is being used as some sort of validation that their opinion is fact. To say that you think a car looks ugly is COMPLETELY different than to say "that car is so ugly that the company changed it" although it has nothing to do with the appearance. That's what makes it idiotic
Or you can nit pick on wording and take it personal like youre doing. :lol:

The 18 is ugly. I reserve that right to share

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's okay, you can think it's ugly, I have no problem with that.

But, if you try to make up some bullshit about "Ford even thinks it's ugly, that's why they used the old design", that's when you make yourself look like a moron. Just because you have bad taste doesnt mean you have to take it so personal there, big fella :lol:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
That's okay, you can think it's ugly, I have no problem with that.

But, if you try to make up some bullshit about "Ford even thinks it's ugly, that's why they used the old design", that's when you make yourself look like a moron. Just because you have bad taste doesnt mean you have to take it so personal there, big fella :lol:
On the contrary i dont have a bad taste. But i will admit, youre like the 2018 adovcate in multiple threads and constantly bring up how there is no new model bashing like the tattle tail police, girl.:thumbsup:
Sponsored