Sponsored

Anyone move to the GT350 from a C7 Stingray?

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
The Porsche has no soul compared to the GT350/R. [end of "debate"]
Having driven a 996 GT3 extensively I would very much disagree with your statement. that car has a lot of soul
Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Having driven a 996 GT3 extensively I would very much disagree with your statement. that car has a lot of soul
Now we’re talking about the GT3? Didn’t know the GT3 stood for all P-cars now.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
A 996 gt3 is gt350 money. That gt3 is the newest Porsche i have driven. I can not speak for the new all turbo 911 cars. On paper they seem very fast.

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
A 996 gt3 is gt350 money. That gt3 is the newest Porsche i have driven. I can not speak for the new all turbo 911 cars. On paper they seem very fast.
I believe you. :) But we were somehow talking about the Cayman GTS as far as Porsche's go.

But now that we're on the subject, I think it's great that the Mustang GT350R is compared to the best GT3 cars of the past. ;)

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
C7 or GT350?

Really depends on how you plan to use the car. Will it be used as a DD, weekend toy, track car? All of the above?

Hard to give someone advice without knowing much about them or the intended use. I was a Vette guy for many years. Still like them, but haven't owned a Vette since the C7 came out (don't care for the looks - call me shallow).

As many have said, the car is special... I was expecting the car to feel slow, but it doesn't (if you know how to keep the revs up). Not as fast as some of my other cars, but it is one of the most confidence inspiring cars on the track I've ever driven... plus it just flat sounds amazing. Take a GT350 on the track and I can't see how you wouldn't fall in love.

Just search the Randy Pobst GT350 R video on Youtube. "Buy one, you won't be disappointed."

Sponsored

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I currently have both. 2015 c7 z51 and 2017 GT350

• I've had both on the track.
  • I've driven both across the state.
  • I've had both for about 8 months.
  • Both are stock.
  • The Vette is auto
I prefer the GT350. However, I might prefer the c7 if it was a manual Grand Sport.

Here's some anecdotal information to go with this
I was able to turn a few seconds quicker in the GT350 at PBIR on the same track day. Both have the same tires. Both aired to about 28PSI cold.
Later on at Sebring in the GT350, I've found that I passed all the c7s except for the c7 zo6. However, I could hang with the Z06 and even pass a few. These cars are so close in performance ability on a road course. Lap times mostly come down to driver and variations in track temp.
That being said, I enjoy both on the track.

Why I prefer the GT350:
  • Sound
  • 8250 redline
  • big brakes
  • Uniqueness
  • The GPS (I know)
  • Interior design and space
  • More compliments from people
  • I like the muscle car ambiance of it.
  • Forscan abilities

What I like more about the c7:
  • lighter weight
  • Exterior styling
  • It hooks up
  • Explosive exhaust sounds during shifts :D
  • Tire temp readings

What I don't like about the GT350:
  • Heavy
  • small gas tank
  • lug torque specs too high
  • ADM (even though I paid MSRP) If there was no ADM on an R, I'd have one.
What I don't like about the c7:
  • Interior is a bit cheap and cheezy
  • The roof is squeeky
  • Passenger leg room too small
  • Brakes too small
  • OnStar (barf)
  • No real GPS
  • No forscan like abilities
  • annoying chimes and horn warnings
  • door buttons instead of door handles

Obviously, these are not major things. That's why I could see myself owning a Grand Sport manual, and loving it. The c7 is mainly the wife's car, I'm working on it.

Hope that helps with your decision. :cheers:

OP
OP

TraderGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z51
That’s a great comparison, thanks. Which has better feel and is more fun on track?

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
That’s a great comparison, thanks. Which has better feel and is more fun on track?
Fun factor, the GT350 because hitting the 8250 redline at 140+ is :headbang:
Have a listen:

I ran them both stock though, so I would rather wait until I had proper track alignment dialed in before I commit to which one has the better feel. Stock vs stock though, the c7 felt better, but I was able to turn faster lap times in the GT350. It might just be because I felt more comfortable in the GT350 since that's what I drive the most.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I had the opportunity to finally drive a C7 Z06 and had I'd done it sooner, I probably wouldn't have my GT350. I really liked the feeling of having usable power from 1000RPM on, plus the ability to remove the targa top on nice days. With that said, I'm still happy with my GT350 but have the Vette itch at the moment.

Last edited:

rushca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White OTT
Comes down to being able to take the entire family (wife plus kids), can't do that with the vette.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Comes down to being able to take the entire family (wife plus kids), can't do that with the vette.
No kids yet in my case :D

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I currently have both. 2015 c7 z51 and 2017 GT350

[*]Interior is a bit cheap and cheezy
[*]The roof is squeeky
[*]Passenger leg room too small
[*]Brakes too small
[*]OnStar (barf)
[*]No real GPS
[*]No forscan like abilities
[*]annoying chimes and horn warnings
[*]door buttons instead of door handles
[/LIST]
The roofs STILL squeek? I had an '09 Vette and with only 12K mi on it, the roof squeaked all the time. Sounded like I was driving a '72 Pickup truck. Drove me crazy eventually. Tried all the "fixes" on the Corvette forum and nothing worked.

Now back in a Mustang, I have to say as far as being livable, the Mustang is way better. Better visibility, easier to get in/out of, less road/tire noise. And no squeaky roof!

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
This is my first toy since having kids! Sold my last toy a few months before our daughter was born back in '09. They are always asking to take R2-D2, their nickname, for the gt350.
That's sweet. Kids are a gas ain't they. :thumbsup: