Sponsored

Anyone move to the GT350 from a C7 Stingray?

OP
OP

TraderGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z51
Thanks for all the feedback. Not sure which direction I'll go. I may just hang on to the C7 for a while longer. I'm just not as connected to it as I would like to be, it's the best Corvette I've owned, but it still is lacking some feel IMO. Decisions, decisions...
Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Lol, just reread and it says nothing about 0-60.either way. I test drive a GTS and almost bought it nut had the op for an used R for a better deal. Sure the 0-40 is faster but the 350 would mop the floor with it on top end. Having driven the GTS owning a track pack and now an R, I would not say the GTS is faster. Either way it's a dope car and almost bought one but glad I choose the R instead.

Edit: I'll correct my statement on the GTS being faster 0-60. I did say it did not feel faster. Turns out I am right. Looked up 0-60 times and it is actually slower than a GT350 by a tenth. 1/4 miles about the same but trap speed is faster on the 350 by about 10+ mph.
I own both and the GTS is definitely faster, zero to sixty and quarter mile. Yes the Shelby supposedly tops out at 185 which is five miles an hour faster than the 180 of the GTS, not exactly mopping the floor on top end.

I'll just say that there's a road where I can do a marked run that I can get to 130 in the Shelby and was able to get the GTS to 135 in the same distance. My GTS is PDK which is 4 tenths quicker to sixty than the GT350.

The GT350 received accolades for running the NĂĽrburgring at 8:19. The 718 Porsche Cayman GTS did it in 7 minutes and 40 seconds. The GT350R did it in 7:32:19, but I don't own an R and wasn't comparing the GTS to the R

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Thanks for all the feedback. Not sure which direction I'll go. I may just hang on to the C7 for a while longer. I'm just not as connected to it as I would like to be, it's the best Corvette I've owned, but it still is lacking some feel IMO. Decisions, decisions...
Get the GT350. Just for the sound it's worth it.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Straight line. Cayman GTS 3.9 zero to sixty. GT350 4.3 zero to sixty. I have to add, the Cayman has what the GT350 lacks...bottom end. I am utterly amazed at the torque this thing has. Launch control is a real giggle. Slams you back so hard it's probably a good thing the engine is behind you.
A Tesla blows the GTS' doors off. Just saying...

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I own both and the GTS is definitely faster, zero to sixty and quarter mile. Yes the Shelby supposedly tops out at 185 which is five miles an hour faster than the 180 of the GTS, not exactly mopping the floor on top end.

I'll just say that there's a road where I can do a marked run that I can get to 130 in the Shelby and was able to get the GTS to 135 in the same distance. My GTS is PDK which is 4 tenths quicker to sixty than the GT350.

The GT350 received accolades for running the NĂĽrburgring at 8:19. The 718 Porsche Cayman GTS did it in 7 minutes and 40 seconds. The GT350R did it in 7:32:19, but I don't own an R and wasn't comparing the GTS to the R
We get it, you like your Porsche. :crazy:

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

"Porsche CLAIMSthe GTS manuals will zip from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and cover the standing quarter mile in 12.7 seconds. The smooth, lightning quick PDK transmission shaves a hefty half a second from the 0-60-mph time, and four tenths of a second from the quarter-mile"
https://www.google.com/amp/www.moto...18-cayman-boxster-gts-first-drive-review/amp/

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
IMHO this car is special in only two circumstances, the track and the open road, and I bought mine for the latter. You have to be in the power band in 2nd-4th gear to really appreciate this car and those are the only two places to get there. So I can see why someone thinks this car is slow or doesn't enjoy it as much as others might and I personally wouldn't buy one just to drive around town but don't begrudge any one who might.

OP
OP

TraderGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z51
IMHO this car is special in only two circumstances, the track and the open road, and I bought mine for the latter. You have to be in the power band in 2nd-4th gear to really appreciate this car and those are the only two places to get there. So I can see why someone thinks this car is slow or doesn't enjoy it as much as others might and I personally wouldn't buy one just to drive around town but don't begrudge any one who might.
I get to the track about six time a year. I'd drive it around town, but exactly where I'd want it to shine is on a road course.

I need to drive a 718 S. Had a first gen Cayman S, really well balanced car.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I won't get into this debate, but just want to keep some lap times straight. The 8:19 was by a forum member with a passenger on one of the Nurburgring's open track day times when everyone and their mother can take their minivan onto the track at the same time. That's not really any kind of record setting attempt. The 7:32:19 turned out to be an unconfirmed click-bait posting ages ago. As far as I know, there is still no actual official GT350 or GT350R Nurburgring time.

Sponsored

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)

I do think comparing acceleration times/lap times of a car with a 3 pedal transmission to PDK or DSG and saying it is faster misses the point. I’ll take a “slower” manual over an auto and have complete control of how the power is put down.

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Why was Porsche even inserted into this thread? The OP was asking about Corvette vs GT350.

Oh wait, it's just another Porsche owner trolling the GT350 threads about how much better their car is. :rolleyes:

The Porsche has no soul compared to the GT350/R. [end of "debate"]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven a few C6 and C7, as well as two different 16/17 SS Camaros. None of them felt very exciting to drive even compared with my 15 GT. I've had ample time in the GT350 and it's a far more special driving experience than an LT1 Chevy product (I'm not talking laptimes...I know they're fast). The only newer GM vehicle I've driven that wowed me is the ATS-V.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Why was Porsche even inserted into this thread? The OP was asking about Corvette vs GT350.

Oh wait, it's just another Porsche owner trolling the GT350 threads about how much better their car is. :rolleyes:

The Porsche has no soul compared to the GT350/R. [end of "debate"]
:thumbsup:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
"On the top end" doesn't necessarily mean top speed, it means when opened up to the top end of the powerband and as speeds climb. Low-end torque is nice and immediate, but it isn't always the greatest characteristic.

I like the GT350/R for the same reason I like BMW M cars from the early '00s and older - they are a different animal above 4k RPM than they are below it, and they build power all the way to the rev limit and they feel stronger than they are when you're in the powerband. The tradeoff is that they feel weak, by comparison, when you're not in the powerband. It makes for a lazier-feeling car on the street, but a super-usable car on the track where the gradual and linear power delivery means you can put it all down and drive clean and fast. Not everyone will get a kick out of it. If you want your car to kick you in the ass every time you boot the throttle at 2k RPM, don't buy a GT350. If you want a car that rewards good driving in a venue where you can consistently run it above 5k RPM, and sound hair-raisingly awesome and deliver great feedback through the seat and the wheel while doing so, get a GT350. Know thyself.
Sponsored