Sync 3 missing Android Auto

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
When I tried to use AA on my step dad's 17 Fusion AA did not show up until I enabled in the settings. I had to swipe the screen to the left in the settings menu to find the setting to enable it. Once I did that and plugged the phone in it showed up. this was on 2.3 BTW
Yea, again, theres no reference of AA ANYwhere on the system.
Sponsored

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Havent tried to do anything with music with the phone. same phone/cable i used successfully on sync3 in my fusion.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Havent tried to do anything with music with the phone. same phone/cable i used successfully on sync3 in my fusion.
Some things are picky... What year Fusion?

first thing to do is see if you can play music through the USB port at all...

if phone->USB doesn't work try a USB drive with music on it.

Also, is your phone paired over bluetooth?

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
2013 fusion, that i did the sync2 to sync3+usb hub swap in. What i still havent gotten a clear factual answer here though is again....regardless of any phone, cables, hub, etc. The 2.3 Sync3 update should REGARDLESS show the Android Auto ICON in the settings to "switch on" or enable it as far as i understand. And I DO NOT have that icon at all.

Ive only found one other relevant article here someone posted same thing in their F150.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1526661-problem-with-sync-3-2-3-update.html

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Did you try doing a master reset yet? If so the only thing I can think of would be to grab the 3.0 update and install that to see if that resolves it.

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Did you try doing a master reset yet? If so the only thing I can think of would be to grab the 3.0 update and install that to see if that resolves it.
Did a master reset twice, one after, then once before 2nd flash attempt

The 3.0 is still an unofficial beta type release isnt it?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Did a master reset twice, one after, then once before 2nd flash attempt

The 3.0 is still an unofficial beta type release isnt it?
Some versions are but the 2018 Mustang comes with it from the factory so there are live non beta builds out there.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
2013 fusion, that i did the sync2 to sync3+usb hub swap in. What i still havent gotten a clear factual answer here though is again....regardless of any phone, cables, hub, etc. The 2.3 Sync3 update should REGARDLESS show the Android Auto ICON in the settings to "switch on" or enable it as far as i understand. And I DO NOT have that icon at all.

Ive only found one other relevant article here someone posted same thing in their F150.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1526661-problem-with-sync-3-2-3-update.html
I don't know that anyone as attempted to turn on AA without a phone connected initially.

It might take a USB connection to initialize that software. If for some reason your USB module isn't connected to the APIM, it may not show up. The USB module can still be powered even if the data connection to the APIM is bad/non existent, and you could still connect over Bluetooth.

In my opinion, start at the beginning. Connect the phone via USB ignoring AA. If that cannot happen, worrying about AA is futile. It's an APIM/USB thing.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
In my opinion, start at the beginning. Connect the phone via USB ignoring AA. If that cannot happen, worrying about AA is futile. It's an APIM/USB thing.
Yup, you gotta do some troubleshooting. Turn off BT so the car cannot connect to the phone wirelessly, then plug it in and see if the phone is recognized as a USB device (you may have to check the settings in your phone and give permission to access the files via USB). Like TR said, if there's no data transfer between the phone and car via USB then you cannot use Android Auto.

This is what's in my owner's manual regarding Android Auto:

Android Auto

Android Auto is compatible with most
devices with Android 5.0 or newer.

1. Download the Android Auto app to your device from Google Play to prepare your device (this may require mobile data usage).
  2. Plug your device into a USB port. See USB Port (page 302).

Note: Android Auto may default to off, so
you may need to enable it from the Settings
screen.
It's not clear if Android Auto setting is available before you plug your phone in.

If you are getting a good USB data connection you might try deleting/reinstalling Android Auto from your phone.

EDIT: You will have to have both a USB and BT connections to use Android Auto. If you can't get a data connection via USB I would try a different cord and/or try connecting a different phone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
SO I think youre helping me get onto something. Sync3 i not seeing my phone at all. At one point i do remember it poppung up "device detected" every couple minutes when i firt started using the usb port to just charge my phone. Now i plug it in and nothing is happening on the system.

Could the hub be faulty? Known working cable, known working phone, as it works when i use it in my fusion. Going to test with usb stick with music on it next i suppose

Last edited:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
SO I think youre helping me get onto something. Sync3 i not seeing my phone at all. At one point i do remember it poppung up "device detected" every couple minutes when i firt started using the usb port to just charge my phone. Now i plug it in and nothing is happening on the system.

Could the hub be faulty? Known working cable, known working phone, as it works when i use it in my fusion. Going to test with usb stick with music on it next i suppose
could be the USB module, could be the wiring between the module and APIM, could be the APIM...

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
could be the USB module, could be the wiring between the module and APIM, could be the APIM...
USB flash drive worked fine with songs. Tried phone with 3 diff usb cables. Tried phone in safe mode. Cant be phone or cables.
Sponsored