2018 GT vs 2016 Camaro - Track Times Compared w/Video

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I must have missed the memo where we stopped measuring 1/4 mile times and only record 0-60. GTFO with your BS.

1/4 mile is a wash and the GT walks the 1LE in the standing mile.
You GTFO calling a draw for an acceleration 0-60 and even quarter mile! Now you are making a stock mustang a mile stretch racer? Do you even know what you are talking about? Stupidity is really strong with this one!
Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Just finished watching the comparison video... the complaints for the mustang seemed to be;
1. too much understeer (fixed in PP2 with square tire setup)
2. too much body roll (fixed in PP2 with stiffer springs, sway bars, etc.)
3. damping is sloppy (fixed in PP2 with stiffer and more responsive magride tuning)
4. too expensive (PP2 similarly spec'd to 1LE is $500 cheaper)
5. not enough grip (fixed in PP2 with 305 MPSC2 tires)

Complaints for Camaro;
1. interior (can't be fixed from factory)
2. visibility (can't be fixed from factory)

Any more questions as to why the PP2 would have been a more even competitor, Chebby guys?
Actually, no.

You left out the main complain. Horrible steering. "Zero steering feel", "gives no confidence".

You also left out the other main complain. "Driving the Mustang feels like you are sitting on a mattress on top of a stack of phone books". "No sports car feel".

Tell us how the PP2 will fix the total lack of steering feel and the feel of sitting on top of the car vs in it.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
And lets be real here.

The Camaro beat the Mustang in all the traditional Motor Trend instrumented tests.

Camaro beat Mustang to 60MPH by 0.3 sec (4.1s vs 4.4s).

Camaro horribly beat Mustang on Figure 8 by a huge 1.1 sec (22.9s vs 24.0). In the process the Camaro matched the Porsche 991 Turbo S latest gen.

Camaro beat Mustang on 1/4 mile by 0.1 sec.

Camaro beat the Mustang by 3.3 sec (an eternity on a 1:20 track) at Willows.

They had to come up with "cowboy science" - burnouts and dirt/lake mile run to give something to the Mustang.

And yet again the fan boys are in denial - wait until PP2, wait till GT500. It is always a wait. Wasn't waiting for 3 years for this update enough.

As one who was hoping this would be a good option, I'm hugely disappointed. And it is quite obvious that the Camaro 1LE would have beat the GT350 on track as well. PP2 has no chance of closing the gap. It is a desperate Ford skunk works maneuver to give the guys who track a 1/2 decent option.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You GTFO calling a draw for an acceleration 0-60 and even quarter mile! Now you are making a stock mustang a mile stretch racer? Do you even know what you are talking about? Stupidity is really strong with this one!
I hate to tell you, but people no longer race stoplight to stoplight...it's 1/4 mile or roll racing. 1/4 mile is a draw, and roll racing is advantage mustang. Ignorance is no excuse here. If it was all about stoplight to stoplight, no one would buy anything other than AWD cars.

And lets be real here.

The Camaro beat the Mustang in all the traditional Motor Trend instrumented tests.

Camaro horribly beat Mustang on Figure 8 by a huge 1.1 sec (22.9s vs 24.0). In the process the Camaro matched the Porsche 991 Turbo S latest gen.

They had to come up with "cowboy science" - burnouts and dirt/lake mile run to give something to the Mustang.

And yet again the fan boys are in denial - wait until PP2, wait till GT500. It is always a wait. Wasn't waiting for 3 years for this update enough.

As one who was hoping this would be a good option, I'm hugely disappointed. And it is quite obvious that the Camaro 1LE would have beat the GT350 on track as well. PP2 has no chance of closing the gap. It is a desperate Ford skunk works maneuver to give the guys who track a 1/2 decent option.
I hate to tell you, but 0.1 seconds is a wash. It's easily a drivers race.

And I love it when people spout out figure 8 wins....with all of those figure 8 race tracks around the country. :headbonk:

As for the PP2, it was shown to be 3.5 seconds quicker than the PP1 at Grattan. But yeah, it stands no chance to make up that 3 second difference from the 1LE :lol:

Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Wow this thread got super nasty overnight.
Yes. I don't know why. Some people just can't handle the data.

They always say you should have tested something else instead or some other fake logic.

It is very simple. Somehow Ford, even with the GT350 does not seem capable of matching the basic Camaro 1LE - which is the only performance pack that Chevy offers on the Camaro.

It is clear that even Ford panicked once they tested the PP1, and fired off a skunk works for a desperate mid-model-year PP2 launch. Which will be yet another disappointment. The only way a Mustang GT PP2 can match the Camaro 1LE on track is by surpassing the GT350. Either way it is bad for Ford.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
And lets be real here.

No they are in denial because MT didn’t do a mile stretch race and a roll race. Trust me and even that was done and the camaro won, we would have to see what a PP2 can do. We also need the comparison with the 10 speed auto 3.55 gtpp vs 8 speed auto ss. Did i mention the driver has to clone himself put it in the other car and test both cars at the same time? We need same tires, wheels, and pressures! If that doesn’t work the S650 will do the justice or lets hope the upcoming gt500 will make everyone happy and Ford great again! You really can’t get around some people!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Because the MotorTrend Camaro SS vs 2018 Mustang GT PP1 Head2Head video is out, and the track performance of the Mustang may lead some fan boys who plocked cash into one to off themselves. Maybe.
Yeah... how about no?

First off even on the camaro6 forum everyone recognizes the pp1 is not meant to compete with 1LE. Second, the new Mustang performs awesome. Third, there is a PP2 option that should get compared when it's out.

Suicide isn't something you joke about. And any favorite whether it be a car a team etc. losing by a tiny amount or a big amount shouldn't ever evoke such stupidity.

So let's hope your boys stay sane when the GT500 is available. Aiight?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I must have missed the memo where we stopped measuring 1/4 mile times and only record 0-60. GTFO with your BS.

1/4 mile is a wash and the GT walks the 1LE in the standing mile.
Fanboys can't admit this. The camaro is a bit stronger right out of the block. But the mustang quickly overtakes it as it's MUCH stronger up top.

Not advocating street racing, but I would imagine the base GT mustang overtakes the Camaro version of the GT350 at speed as well.

The GT suspension has been very soft since s550 launch. Pp1 hasn't been an effort to turn it into a track car. Supposedly PP2 will do that. But the reality is that the 1LE is a gt350 competitor. But let's see when PP2 is out.

It's must be great winning tests in which the deck is stacked in your favor. But hennits apples to apples is when it really counts.

We will get to see that when the gt500 is available to run the zl1.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
So let's hope your boys stay sane when the GT500 is available. Aiight?
Again? We have to wait yet again for something better to come out in the Mustang? Will the present ever arrive?

Ford had all the data about the competition. The 1LE is nothing new. Ford did a major refresh. They created the PP1, which is similarly priced to 1LE package. What is the excuse for that? If PP2 is the right package, why wasn't it planned and available at launch? Why I desperate mid-model-year introduction?

P.S. Whenever you have 2 similarly sized vehicles with similar CDs and near identical HP, where one of them pulls away at high speed (>120MPH) be very, very, very worried. That is a serious indication that the car that pulls ahead at high speed has lift and is less safe. I actually take the standing mile performance as a loss for the Mustang - not a win. I can almost guarantee based on those results that the Camaro is more stable at 150MPH than the Mustang. Throw a turn into the mix at those speeds and I'm not sure you'd want to be in Mustang.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Fanboys can't admit this. The camaro is a bit stronger right out of the block. But the mustang quickly overtakes it as it's MUCH stronger up top.

Not advocating street racing, but I would imagine the base GT mustang overtakes the Camaro version of the GT350 at speed as well.

The GT suspension has been very soft since s550 launch. Pp1 hasn't been an effort to turn it into a track car. Supposedly PP2 will do that. But the reality is that the 1LE is a gt350 competitor. But let's see when PP2 is out.

It's must be great winning tests in which the deck is stacked in your favor. But hennits apples to apples is when it really counts.

We will get to see that when the gt500 is available to run the zl1.
U meant ZL1 1LE i hope. Because if i know MT they will definitely put it against the ZL1 1LE not regular ZL1. They already did the gt350r vs zl1 comparison.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Again? We have to wait yet again for something better to come out in the Mustang? Will the present ever arrive?

Ford had all the data about the competition. The 1LE is nothing new. Ford did a major refresh. They created the PP1, which is similarly priced to 1LE package. What is the excuse for that? If PP2 is the right package, why wasn't it planned and available at launch? Why I desperate mid-model-year introduction?
It seems like you only come around to strut around and crow when the Mustang gets beaten..

Maybe this website isn't for you. I'm sure Camaro6 will welcome you.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, no.

You left out the main complain. Horrible steering. "Zero steering feel", "gives no confidence". That was a minor complaint, and can be remedied with the PP2 suspension upgrades

You also left out the other main complain. "Driving the Mustang feels like you are sitting on a mattress on top of a stack of phone books". "No sports car feel". In other words, as I said, too much body roll... again, fixed with revised PP2 suspension

Tell us how the PP2 will fix the total lack of steering feel and the feel of sitting on top of the car vs in it.standard Recaros will fix seating position, suspension will fix feel... it's really that simple
Answers in Red

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Again? We have to wait yet again for something better to come out in the Mustang? Will the present ever arrive? Well, at least we admit we lost and say wait until the fair competition comes out... you camaro guys just lied to yourselves from 2011-2016 (Oh hey, look at that... waiting on the camaro to get better) and insisted that your camaro was still better with absolutely no backing

P.S. Whenever you have 2 similarly sized vehicles with similar CDs and near identical HP, where one of them pulls away at high speed (>120MPH) be very, very, very worried. That is a serious indication that the car that pulls ahead at high speed has lift and is less safe. I actually take the standing mile performance as a loss for the Mustang - not a win. I can almost guarantee based on those results that the Camaro is more stable at 150MPH than the Mustang. Throw a turn into the mix at those speeds and I'm not sure you'd want to be in Mustang. Aaaaaaaaaand this is how we can tell a camaro fanboy from a level headed dude! You realize there are more ways to accelerate in the top end than poor aerodynamics, right? "yeah, even though they won, I still think they lost"... there's that whole "lying to yourself" logic I was talking about. Get real, man. These cars were not an even match. PP1 wasn't made to compete against 1LE, it was made to compete against 2SS. As I said earlier, if anyone would have done a compare of GT350 VS 2SS back in the beginning of 2016 (You know, when we were WAITING on the ZL1), Camaro guys would have thrown a fit.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
But answer this for me... if PP1 WASN'T meant to compete with 2SS, then why is Chevy currently working on making a low-price base model SS with AS tires to compete with the sales from base model mustangs? Oh, it's because the base model mustang currently goes unmatched
Sponsored