Sponsored

Ugh! My Back! ... Now what? Sell?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Going to share some advice I read on a motorcycle forum a few years back where someone said they couldn't ride their bike anymore comfortably because of back pain.

Someone else chimed in and said his Dr suggested taking vitamin D3 supplements (the sunshine vitamin).

I've had back stiffness for years and I'd always wake up with a stiff lower back that'd eventually go away through the day. I started taking an extra 3,000 IU each day as 1,000 IU with each meal. 1,000 IU is a very small pill.

It's been fantastic for me and I no longer have that sore back any more.

I've recently read too that the UK is considering upping the D3 requirements as we just shy away from the sun these days (or just aren't outside as much as our ancestors did).

Give it a try ... I found it started working within 2-3 days.
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Another vote here for a chiropractor/physio-therapist/massage-therapist....

Chiropractor's and massage therapist's have done wonders for me....:cheers:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
As a guess kz I put your age at 29. If so enjoy as much of life as you can, it's later than you think!
No replacement for keeping yourself in a good health - it pays back everywhere, not only in ability to drive the manual.

All I am saying - driving manual should be least of his worries. Fixing his back should his main priority. Abs / back exercises or generally decent exercise program. Of course it isn't easy, nothing is...

Osvic@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
After all these years, I buy my dream car, a 2017 GT/PP/MG...and then mess up my back! The clutch pressure is killing my lower back. Even the doc says it' not good. What do I do? :shrug:

1. Sell the car and buy an auto-trans?

2. Change out a perfectly good manual trans for an auto?

3. Sell it and buy a Honda Civic and "cry" every day to work. :frusty:

So frustrating...my car barely has 900 miles, kept in the garage and NEVER redlined! I've been babying it because I wanted to keep it for years.

Now what?

(Never thought my first post would be this.)

Option 1 my friend!

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
No replacement for keeping yourself in a good health - it pays back everywhere, not only in ability to drive the manual.

All I am saying - driving manual should be least of his worries. Fixing his back should his main priority. Abs / back exercises or generally decent exercise program. Of course it isn't easy, nothing is...
The problem is some things don't get better with exercise. Go get a medical degree and then, maybe, you might be qualified to give medical advice. If it was as simple as physical therapy his doctor probably would have suggested it.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Doc says I can recover, but pushing a clutch will only aggravate and bring it back.

So, looks like a manual is out for me. :brokenheart:

I don't supposed there's a mod for making the clutch easy as the brake?

I had a disk operation 10 years ago, and still have the occasional back flair up. It doesn't keep me from driving a manual trans. Though I might have to drive my other vehicle from time to time. But I have the Steeda clutch spring and very low mounted aftermarket seats that put more stress on my back than stock.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The problem is some things don't get better with exercise. Go get a medical degree and then, maybe, you might be qualified to give medical advice. If it was as simple as physical therapy his doctor probably would have suggested it.
Depends on what the issue is but back pain usually responds positively to light duty exercise.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Depends on what the issue is but back pain usually responds positively to light duty exercise.
Again if you aren't doctor and familiar with his case saying "Exercise!", is just kinda stupid. If exercise would fix it his doctor would have told him to go do it. Now if his doctor DID tell him to and he just doesn't want to that's his own damn problem.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Again if you aren't doctor and familiar with his case saying "Exercise!", is just kinda stupid. If exercise would fix it his doctor would have told him to go do it. Now if his doctor DID tell him to and he just doesn't want to that's his own damn problem.
OP didn't provide specifics, but its hard to believe that a solid diagnosis includes "don't push a clutch peddle, or your back can get worse". That's on par with saying, "don't walk around or your back can get worse. Or don't go to gym and do leg press on lightest setting.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
OP didn't provide specifics, but its hard to believe that a solid diagnosis includes "don't push a clutch peddle, or your back can get worse". That's on par with saying, "don't walk around or your back can get worse. Or don't go to gym and do leg press on lightest setting.
Ah see I read the whole thread and not just the first post. He said he'd recover, but the doctor believes using a clutch will cause him to aggravate his back again.

It probably has to do with putting uneven pressure on his back since you only push the clutch with one foot. Where medical advice is concerned, best to just listen to your doctor, or get a 2nd doctors opinion. The internet is a bad place to be giving out or receiving medical advice.

Sponsored

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
The other option is to learn to drive a manual without using the clutch. You'll still need the clutch take off from a stop, but once rolling, the MT82 shifts very well without the clutch. It's done wonders for me; I've never had a recurrence of chronic knee-flare up that i used to (began with my SN95 days and its Terminator cable clutch). Reduced the duty-cycle on my knee joint!

I also have that clutch pedal extension: it works very well for me.

OP
OP

Steel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT PP (SOLD! Back ISSUES)
Ah see I read the whole thread and not just the first post. He said he'd recover, but the doctor believes using a clutch will cause him to aggravate his back again.

It probably has to do with putting uneven pressure on his back since you only push the clutch with one foot. Where medical advice is concerned, best to just listen to your doctor, or get a 2nd doctors opinion. The internet is a bad place to be giving out or receiving medical advice.

First, I'm grateful for everyone's input. I'm listening to all of you.

It's true, the doc said I'll probably get "better" but the constant uneven pushing of the clutch causes rotational changes in the disk. Overtime, not just a single push, is what adds up to injury. A normal disk would not be as affected, but mine is already "hot." (Term the chiro doc uses.)

I'm thinking of starting another thread in the Transmission area regarding the clutch spring. I've read other related threads and get *mixed* answers...e.g., the heavier the spring the lighter the clutch feel and then the exact opposite thoughts.

Anyone really know the answer? Can I get a clutch spring that will "lighten" the clutch feel/weight?

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
Get the 18 with the 10 speed paddle shift. I owned a couple sports cars that only came with a paddle box. Was almost as fun. Not sure about the mustang, but assume in sport mode, it will hold the gear until you red line it or you squeeze a paddle. Plus, they're claiming sub 4 second 0 to 60 with the 10 speed. So, quicker apparently than the stick. There are some videos of an 18 running through the gears on the 10 speed. Incredibly fast upshifts, sounds like a super car.

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
fix back, problem solved. I've collapsed vertebrae, torn ligaments, strained muscles .....got better then drove my car.

OP
OP

Steel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT PP (SOLD! Back ISSUES)