Sponsored

Buying Ecoboost for the exhaust sounds

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The stock sound of the EB isn't too bad, I haven't heard an EB with an aftermarket but I imagine those sound really bad though. I think my Mazdaspeed 3 sounded great for a 4banger.

I do prefer the sound of my V6 over that speed3 though.
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Looks like most everyone here ragging on the sound of the boost is a GT owner. So I must ask. How many of you have heard an EB on the streets? Videos/YouTube don't count because they capture the exhaust a few octaves higher than what it really sounds like.

I've already said this on here before and I'll say it again. If you have owned nothing but v8s your whole life, of course you won't like the sound of something with half as many cylinders. You've trained your ears to accept a certain sound. Anything else is foreign.

Why do old Subaru's and certain cars of that age sound better? Easy, they use unequal length headers. What did Ford do? They put performance before sound and I applaud them for that.
I hear them on the streets all the time. I'm in the Bay Area, I see about 20 S550's a day and about 70% of them are EB's. A few have aftermarket exhausts but most are stock. Stock doesn't sound sporty, it just sounds anemic. Aftermarket sounds pretty bad, enough so that I that I cringe a bit when I hear a particularly loud one. They just have an overall unpleasant tone.

There are a few 4-bangers that sound great. S2000, Fiat Abarth, Alfa 4C and STI's come into mind. The EB is not one of them.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Serious question here, anyone bought the ecoboost because they liked the sound of an inline 4/turbo noises? I know many of us love the V8 rumble but I was checking to see if this was the same for the ecoboost guys.
I bought the Turbo because I prefer Turbos. I don't think it sounds horrible or great to be honest.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
There are a few 4-bangers that sound great. S2000, Fiat Abarth, Alfa 4C and STI's come into mind. The EB is not one of them.
Judging by your avatar you would hate an ecoboost no matter what it sounds like

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Judging by your avatar you would hate an ecoboost no matter what it sounds like
If Ford put the 3.5 EB I'd like it. My avatar would be reversed if they did so. As it stands, it's pretty accurate.

Sponsored

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Serious question here, anyone bought the ecoboost because they liked the sound of an inline 4/turbo noises? I know many of us love the V8 rumble but I was checking to see if this was the same for the ecoboost guys.
Lemme make sense of it like this. Hopefully everyone here can relate. Let's I'm going to buy Whiskey at the store right? I got $33 in muh pocket. So I'm looking at my choices. Get some good whiskey for $33, or this cheaper stuff for $24? hard choice y'know? On one hand the better whiskey tastes better, but on the other hand If I buy the cheaper stuff ill have money for tacos and I'll still get wasted.

Swap better whiskey for GT, Cheaper whiskey for EcoBoost, taste of the whiskey for the exhaust sounds, and Tacos for extra modding money, and it explains what alot of us eco guys were thinking. I mean I'm still getting drunk but now I also have tacos!

Do I wish I had the better whiskey and tacos? yeah probably, but screw everyone i have tacos and whiskey yknow? Which for me is better than having just whiskey and no tacos. It'd be dope if I had $40 dollars in this analogy but I just don't for whatever reason.

Not to mention if my tacos get my whiskey's 1/4 mile time down to 13 flat that's a pretty sweet deal. With a little bit less weight at track day, some taco money for tires, and some decent power who cares how it tastes right?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like most everyone here ragging on the sound of the boost is a GT owner. So I must ask. How many of you have heard an EB on the streets? Videos/YouTube don't count because they capture the exhaust a few octaves higher than what it really sounds like.

I've already said this on here before and I'll say it again. If you have owned nothing but v8s your whole life, of course you won't like the sound of something with half as many cylinders. You've trained your ears to accept a certain sound. Anything else is foreign.

Why do old Subaru's and certain cars of that age sound better? Easy, they use unequal length headers. What did Ford do? They put performance before sound and I applaud them for that.
I've owned all four cylinder vehicles before this one. I have heard EB Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust in person, on the street. They sound bad...like buzzing insects. It's not a sound that belongs in a large, sexy sports coupe. A hot hatch? Sure. There are good sounding 4-cylinder vehicles (inline, boxer, turbo, NA...combinations of those) and there are ones that don't sound good. The EB Mustang is not one that sounds very good. It's not V8 vs everything else. It's a good sound vs. not a good sound. The sound is the #1 reason I did not get an EB PP, as otherwise I really liked it. If it sounded a bit like an Evo or hell, even Honda's 4 cylinders, it would be a big improvement. That integrated manifold and twin scroll just kills it. It doesn't fit the car, and you can't get a sound that sounds decent out of one without dropping $5k on a big turbo kit.

Ford may have focused on performance and efficiency, but they forgot the fact (with this engine) that in a sports car, sound as part of the driving experience is a BIG reason to buy. To be clear: the EB Mustang is a great vehicle and I do not knock anyone for choosing it if it meets their criteria. Turbo intake and BOV sounds are cool, but that exhaust note is really disappointing even with aftermarket turboback setups.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
I've owned all four cylinder vehicles before this one. I have heard EB Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust in person, on the street. They sound bad...like buzzing insects. It's not a sound that belongs in a large, sexy sports coupe. A hot hatch? Sure. There are good sounding 4-cylinder vehicles (inline, boxer, turbo, NA...combinations of those) and there are ones that don't sound good. The EB Mustang is not one that sounds very good. It's not V8 vs everything else. It's a good sound vs. not a good sound. The sound is the #1 reason I did not get an EB PP, as otherwise I really liked it. If it sounded a bit like an Evo or hell, even Honda's 4 cylinders, it would be a big improvement. That integrated manifold and twin scroll just kills it. It doesn't fit the car, and you can't get a sound that sounds decent out of one without dropping $5k on a big turbo kit.

Ford may have focused on performance and efficiency, but they forgot the fact (with this engine) that in a sports car, sound as part of the driving experience is a BIG reason to buy. To be clear: the EB Mustang is a great vehicle and I do not knock anyone for choosing it if it meets their criteria. Turbo intake and BOV sounds are cool, but that exhaust note is really disappointing even with aftermarket turboback setups.
Ford should have gotten a SRT-4 and a Abarth 500 to benchmark the EB Mustang sound.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Not everyone cares about exhaust sound or note. Porsche is the benchmark of refined sports cars and they don't have great sounding exhaust either. The internal cockpit sound it what really matters most IMO.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

If Ford put the 3.5 EB I'd like it. My avatar would be reversed if they did so. As it stands, it's pretty accurate.
Are you saying that because the 3.5 EB has more horsepower and torque or have you heard the 3.5 EB before? If you don't like the sound of the 2.3, you won't like the sound of the 3.5. They are very similar tones.

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Lemme make sense of it like this. Hopefully everyone here can relate. Let's I'm going to buy Whiskey at the store right? I got $33 in muh pocket. So I'm looking at my choices. Get some good whiskey for $33, or this cheaper stuff for $24? hard choice y'know? On one hand the better whiskey tastes better, but on the other hand If I buy the cheaper stuff ill have money for tacos and I'll still get wasted.

Swap better whiskey for GT, Cheaper whiskey for EcoBoost, taste of the whiskey for the exhaust sounds, and Tacos for extra modding money, and it explains what alot of us eco guys were thinking. I mean I'm still getting drunk but now I also have tacos!

Do I wish I had the better whiskey and tacos? yeah probably, but screw everyone i have tacos and whiskey yknow? Which for me is better than having just whiskey and no tacos. It'd be dope if I had $40 dollars in this analogy but I just don't for whatever reason.

Not to mention if my tacos get my whiskey's 1/4 mile time down to 13 flat that's a pretty sweet deal. With a little bit less weight at track day, some taco money for tires, and some decent power who cares how it tastes right?
Well my go to scotch is a $50 bottle of Laphroaig 10yr instead of the $500 bottle of Laphroaig 25yr Cask Strength because I can't afford to spend that much on a bottle of scotch, I would if I could...but I can't. Hell I can barely afford to spend that $50 for the 10yr so i'll resort to your basic 12yr Glenlivet or 10yr Speyburn since both are under $30. If I am feeling like a pirate a $10 bottle of Cruzan Rum will do because I am not looking to spend $150 on a bottle of Ron Zacapa xo. Plus rum is more of a "I want to get drunk" drink compared to scotch where I like to have it with a cigar or on a special occasion. They all serve the same purpose...good for those who can afford the Laphroaig 25yr though, if I got paid a lot more I'd get it too.

What the hell were we talking about again?

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Are you saying that because the 3.5 EB has more horsepower and torque or have you heard the 3.5 EB before? If you don't like the sound of the 2.3, you won't like the sound of the 3.5. They are very similar tones.
Mmmm idk about similar. I'm pretty sure the new Ford GT sounds noticably better than our EB stangs. ;)

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
whats that you say I cant hear you a EB lawn mower just went by LOL

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
whats that you say I cant hear you a EB lawn mower just went by LOL
booooooooooo we want fresh jokes!!! I think your name should be Adam Sandler.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Mmmm idk about similar. I'm pretty sure the new Ford GT sounds noticably better than our EB stangs. ;)
Here you go. I had the pleasure of seeing this up close and personal a couple of weeks ago.

Sponsored