Sponsored

Engine blew up

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the winter tune... I was just thinking that the winter tune was for the northern states... If I use the tune in the future, I will consider getting an all weather tune.
That is jacked up... he does not tell anyone about it, unless they ask (or did not in the past, not sure about new purchasers). I don't get it... :shrug:

But that also pushed me to FP tune... I started asking myself questions like: why winter/summer, why 50 degrees (who picked that temp and why), how many cars did "x" vendor test with, etc, etc...
Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
May I also point out that OP had stock exhaust and so the engine has to work extra hard compared to having less restrictive exhaust. This stresses components.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
That sucks that the motor went. These DI 4-cyl have to be some of the weakest stock platforms I've ever heard of, they build them so specifically to work at the stock power output. My Mazdaspeed 3 was the same way, you had to be super careful with everything otherwise - boom. Something I was definitely not used to after working with strong V8s for years.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
how about, don't beat the shit out of your engine and it won't blow up? or maybe, don't let your tuner beat the shit out of your engine and it won't blow up? there is no secret sauce to make more power with less risk, and it's easier to blame a supposed manufacturing flaw than to take responsibility for risky hardware choices and risky calibrations.

just had a huge debate about this exact kind of thing on NASIOC (Subaru forums) with me disagreeing with the 9 year old thread regarding speed3's blowing up due to "too much low end torque". https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2829238&page=4 . First page has background, but go to my post 92 where I refer to cylinder pressure limits on Ecoboost engines (3.5 Ecoboost mentioned there, but the 2.3 has some kind of limit too)

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
That is jacked up... he does not tell anyone about it, unless they ask (or did not in the past, not sure about new purchasers). I don't get it... :shrug:

But that also pushed me to FP tune... I started asking myself questions like: why winter/summer, why 50 degrees (who picked that temp and why), how many cars did "x" vendor test with, etc, etc...
Sounds like back peddling to me. I would not recommend unleashed to anyone right now unless you plan on making money with it.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
how about, don't beat the shit out of your engine and it won't blow up? or maybe, don't let your tuner beat the shit out of your engine and it won't blow up? there is no secret sauce to make more power with less risk, and it's easier to blame a supposed manufacturing flaw than to take responsibility for risky hardware choices and risky calibrations.

just had a huge debate about this exact kind of thing on NASIOC (Subaru forums) with me disagreeing with the 9 year old thread regarding speed3's blowing up due to "too much low end torque". https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2829238&page=4 . First page has background, but go to my post 92 where I refer to cylinder pressure limits on Ecoboost engines (3.5 Ecoboost mentioned there, but the 2.3 has some kind of limit too)
Speed3's didn't blow up because of low end torque, that was just the situation you would most likely find LSPI. It took several years for them to figure out what was happening because they failed so quickly and catastrophically that people didn't realize it was the HPFP not meeting demand. People blaming it on torque is just silly.

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
May I also point out that OP had stock exhaust and so the engine has to work extra hard compared to having less restrictive exhaust. This stresses components.
I didn't mention but I installed Magnaflow Street cat back on my car. I'm not sure this has less restrictive air flow compared with stock one.

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Manual w/PP
My engine (Ecoboost 2015) blew up last week. It happened when I was driving out from the grocery store's parking lot. It was about 30,300 miles on it. My car had unleashed tune, K&N CAI, Mishimoto IC with pipes, UPR oil catch can, and spark plugs from Tune+. I don’t know what year the engine was built.

I went to the dealership and they told me that the estimated price for the engine installed is about $6,500. Of course, the warranty does not cover, and I am completely fine with it because I knew the risk.

I was planning on installing a new OEM engine and putting everything back to stock (except CAI because they told me CAI does not void warranty), but now I wonder if installing a built engine works better with less worries in the future by paying $2-3k more. I’m not familiar with anything about upgraded engine. I have talked with a few people via private message regarding this matter, but I’m interested in what other people in this forum think about it.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
Koji

Sorry to hear about this man. Just out of curiosity what oil type and weight were you using when you started getting your car tuned till now. Thanks

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed

The thing is I saw few threads here and other forums, which was talking about blown engine without any mods. This is why I am kinda afraid to go back to stock engine. But I love my car, so I want to keep my 2.3 Mustang. Of course, if everything is stock, the chance of getting blown engine is lower than the engine with mods though.

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
Sorry to hear about this man. Just out of curiosity what oil type and weight were you using when you started getting your car tuned till now. Thanks
I have been using Mobile one extended performance oil (5W-30) before and after the tune. And oil has been changed about every 5000 miles.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
The PCV system on all motors has also been upgraded since the block's production moved to the US.

Sorry about your engine. But if, as you say, you accounted for this going in, and 6 grand is not a big deal, I would absolutely put an upgraded motor in that thing. It will take whatever you want to throw at it. If you decide to get tuned again, nothing against Torrie, but ditch the old SCT programming. Get a Cobb or an Nguage next time.

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
That sucks that the motor went. These DI 4-cyl have to be some of the weakest stock platforms I've ever heard of, they build them so specifically to work at the stock power output. My Mazdaspeed 3 was the same way, you had to be super careful with everything otherwise - boom. Something I was definitely not used to after working with strong V8s for years.
Weakest stock platforms? Your kidding right? I can't think of many 4 banger making power like these and taking the abuse. Not even the old ford v8 can make as much power without upgrading something

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Personally I'd never go with a summer/winter tune especially with the weather swinging from 40-70 degrees every other day.

In regards to the stock or built motor if your going to pay around $6k the. I personally i'd opt for the built motor and extra peice of mind.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Weakest stock platforms? Your kidding right? I can't think of many 4 banger making power like these and taking the abuse. Not even the old ford v8 can make as much power without upgrading something
To put it in perspective, some of the more notable boosted 4 bangers of all time aren't capable (power limits) of much more than what this thing can do. The catch is, this car is at least a couple or several hundred pounds heavier than say, a DSM, Evo, a 240 or STI.

It may take a couple of more years, maybe more, to collect enough data to get a number that can be attributed to the 2.3 Ecoboost as a hardline power limit on stock internals. Instances are scattered all over the place from stock motors running 265whp horsepower to ones pushing 400hp throwing rods. The early 2015 motor failures will continue to be a reoccurring instance for the next couple of years, I'm guessing, as they continue to age.

Sifting through all of that noise, tuners are starting to agree that somewhere in the upper 300HP range creeping towards 400 is the limit. If you have even a little faith that the standards and practices would get better after a.) moving to a US plant from Spain and b.) Ford making revisions to the motor (the PCV is a good example), you can expect less blown motors in the future for strictly no reason.

The Mazdaspeed 3 bottom end was a guinea pig. I think its different for the Mustang. The loss leader V6 is gone. Ford has hitched its wagon to the little Ecoboost to carry the bottom line for the whole model. They have to iron it out.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Seems like it.
Sponsored

Last edited: