2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Do we even know the difference in the temps between the GT and the GT 350? These are 2 very different engines with different power, and different components, kinda tough to compare without some data to evaluate. Why is there a limp mode? Are the GT 350 capable of extreme temps that can cause other issues if not placed in limp? What if a track pack or R has a cooler failure does it go limp?
Sure it would. If it hits the limit set in the ECU.
Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
These cars make 100 more horse power than the standard GT. The abuse they put the drivetrain through is much greater. Then the aero doesn't allow air up under the car to help cool any components. No coolers was simply a mistake by Ford. They basically created a worst case scenario. Instead of fixing it they choose to hide it and make it our (the uninformed or mislead, however you want to label it) problem. After paying full boat plus for my car I am going to put another $3500 plus into it just to make it the "Sophisticated Performer" it was advertised as which will also de-value my car but it really already is because no one wants a Tech Pack car anyway. I have accepted this because it would cost me so much more to trade it in on a Track Pack or an R. This has been beat to death and I am pretty much over it but the facts are, regaurdless of what some say, the cars were less than we were lead to believe. In my eyes this car will never be the same. I had no intention of modifying it. I have had allot of modded cars, I wanted something different this time. Now that I have to mod it, who knows where it will end. Then in a few years I'll end up dumping it for the next big deal which I wouldn't have done.

Last edited:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
These cars make 100 more horse power than the standard GT. The abuse they put the drivetrain through is much greater. Then the aero doesn't allow air up under the car to help cool any components. No coolers was simply a mistake by Ford. They basically created a worst case scenario. Instead of fixing it they choose to hide it and make it our (the uninformed or mislead, however you want to label it) problem. After paying full boat plus for my car I am going to put another $3500 plus into it just to make it the "Sophisticated Performer" it was advertised as which will also de-value my car but it really already is because no one wants a Tech Pack car anyway. I have accepted this because it would cost me so much more to trade it in on a Track Pack or an R. This has been beat to death and I am pretty much over it but the facts are, regaurdless of what some say, the cars were less than we were lead to believe.
And this has class action written all over it.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
And this has class action written all over it.
You aren't wrong - but you would want one hell of a Lawfirm to be leading it - I believe that would instill confidence in most people to get on board.

Currently though, I don't believe the collective is anywhere close to that and from what I gather no firm has stepped up and wants to take a crack at Ford.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Good points. We never used to care, why now.
Agreed! And I understand your question, others here kind of missed your point. You weren't questioning why we care about limp mode, but rather why do we care about monitoring the actual temp... I say just unplug the damn sensor, yippee, no more limp mode. Just a few years ago cars were making lots of power and there was no temp gauge to interfere.

Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Agreed! And I understand your question, others here kind of missed your point. You weren't questioning why we care about limp mode, but rather why do we care about monitoring the actual temp... I say just unplug the damn sensor, yippee, no more limp mode. Just a few years ago cars were making lots of power and there was no temp gauge to interfere.
Lots of transmission issues though. Then these are $60k cars. That being said, I've thought about unhooking the temp sensor and just changing the fluid more often and after hard beating. Could do that until the trans grenades and then upgrade it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That's true but they also weren't seeing the crazy high input shaft speeds the TR3160 has to take.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
The next time I have my car on the lift I may do a little experiment and disconnect/remove the sensor just to see if I get any codes thrown or automatic limp mode. If not, people who don't track it would be better off to just get rid of the sensor rather than replacing a brand new transmission like some are doing with the track/R trans with internal pump. Why not just replace the trans when it breaks (which it won't unless you are tracking IMO)?

And another idea for those tracking it would be to disconnect the sensor and go have the time of your life, if you cook the trans while under warranty you might have a good argument to get a free track/R trans... and you could just offer to pay for the external components needed. Hmmm, maybe I'm on to something here.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The next time I have my car on the lift I may do a little experiment and disconnect/remove the sensor just to see if I get any codes thrown or automatic limp mode. If not, people who don't track it would be better off to just get rid of the sensor rather than replacing a brand new transmission like some are doing with the track/R trans with internal pump. Why not just replace the trans when it breaks (which it won't unless you are tracking IMO)?

And another idea for those tracking it would be to disconnect the sensor and go have the time of your life, if you cook the trans while under warranty you might have a good argument to get a free track/R trans... and you could just offer to pay for the external components needed. Hmmm, maybe I'm on to something here.
Now you've done it..... someone will come and tell you how dishonest that is...

I would think removing the sensor from the trans, or buying another sensor and leaving it plugged in and out of the trans would keep you from having an immediate check engine light.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech

I would think removing the sensor from the trans, or buying another sensor and leaving it plugged in and out of the trans would keep you from having an immediate check engine light.
Nothing different than what Ford has done (regarding dishonesty). I bet the damn computer will log that it was disconnected so Ford can laugh at us when the trans explodes (but like I said mine won't as I'm not tracking it).

Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Nothing different than what Ford has done (regarding dishonesty). I bet the damn computer will log that it was disconnected so Ford can laugh at us when the trans explodes (but like I said mine won't as I'm not tracking it).
I really don't disagree I feel a little mislead. That's why I said don't just disconnect it. Hook up another sensor and place it somewhere that it will stay slightly cooler. They will never know and it will still read temp, just not enough to trigger limp mode. Then if it breaks hook the factory sensor back up and have it towed in for warranty, if it's out of warranty then replace trans out of pocket at the point. Of coarse I would never do such a thing......

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5

I wouldn't say dishonest, but I would think the ECU/computer would record/log it was disconnected and Ford would deny your warranty for the transmission.

Which I guess isn't a big deal if one was planning on getting a new track pack transmission anyway.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I just typed up my thought on this, you beat me to it.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I wouldn't say dishonest, but I would think the ECU/computer would record/log it was disconnected and Ford would deny your warranty for the transmission.

Which I guess isn't a big deal if one was planning on getting a new track pack transmission anyway.
Not if you disconnect it and hook it back up to another sensor while the battery is unhooked..... I mean the time the battery died after you had to tow it home with a broken transmission.....

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Not if you disconnect it and hook it back up to another sensor while the battery is unhooked..... I mean the time the battery died after you had to tow it home with a broken transmission.....
You could be right, I honestly don't know. But, I've read many other things where people have said do xyz and the car/manufacturer will never know.....but, they end up finding out. The things that the cars computer tracks and logs nowadays is pretty impressive and a lot of times not fully well known by the average person.
Sponsored