Sponsored

Thinking about trading her in

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Dealer is gonna tell you $26k and then your gonna have to fight to get $29k but then they''l tell you there only taking $500 off the Sticker price of your new car - Yatta Yatta Yatta - at that moment IT SUCKS TO BE YOU !!!

Bring this with you so it don't hurt a lot

Sponsored

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
If your car is in good condition which I'm sure it is, carmax will most likely give you the top of the trade in value. I speak from experience from previous sales with them. It's very east as well. Appraisal, offer and check same day.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
also selling privately is a pain in the ass but that's because I don't let other people drive my car except for my Dad.
^^This.
Plus, you have to play the waiting game to sell your car before getting the new one. It could take a couple of days to months. :shrug:
Good luck OP!

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I've had a good experience with 2 of the 3 cars I took to Carmax to get appraised. I use them if I want to get an idea of what I'd get on trade, and ended up being surprised.

For example:
Bought a 2010 V6 manual premium Mustang with 30k miles on it for $15k, back in 2012. Then in 2013, it had 44k on it, and Carmax bought it from me for 14.5k. So I only paid $500 to have the car for a year and put 14k miles on.

Sure I could have squeezed a little more out of it, if I sold it private party. But in my case, things were stacked against me (it had the 4.0L "cologne" truck motor when the 3.7l and 5.0 were out. Plus the 2013 facelift), so Carmax's offer seemed good. They put it on there lot for 17.5k...and it sat for months. I saw it 2 times at 2 different carmax's around me.

Moral of the story, give them a shot and see what they offer. I feel a CO Cali special has a good chance of being sold privately.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Also remember about the tax savings if you trade it in to the dealer that you are buying another car from. Assuming you have say 10k into your Mustang, when you buy a new car that 10k equity isn't taxed. It can make a difference if you have a lot of equity in your Mustang.
In Ohio equity doesn't matter. You only pay tax on the difference in price. If they give you 24k for your car and you pay 36k for the new car you only pay tax on 12k regardless of what you owe. Not sure if that goes for other states or not but find out and figure it in.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
In Ohio equity doesn't matter. You only pay tax on the difference in price. If they give you 24k for your car and you pay 36k for the new car you only pay tax on 12k regardless of what you owe. Not sure if that goes for other states or not but find out and figure it in.
I think you're both saying the same thing basically.

But yes, one cannot discount trade-in tax savings. If the trade-in is a $25-30k car in a 5-8% sales tax state it could very well save you $2k that you have to factor in with what the dealer offers you on top.

Ie. if they offer you $27,500 you are really getting almost $1,800 more on top in tax savings (say average state 6.5% for a rough average) too; more like $29,300 in benefit.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

But yes, one cannot discount trade-in tax savings. If the trade-in is a $25-30k car in a 5-8% sales tax state it could very well save you $2k that you have to factor in with what the dealer offers you on top.

Ie. if they offer you $27,500 you are really getting almost $1,800 more on top in tax savings (say average state 6.5% for a rough average) too; more like $29,300 in benefit.
Possibly, I thought he was talking about positive equity. I may have misread and or misunderstood. I apologize if so.

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
I am probably going to have to get a truck for work and have been getting offers of 28k to 29k for my 2016 GT Premium PP with 9.3k miles, and that is still getting 12k to 15k off msrp on the trucks I am looking at.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I recently got just over 25 trade in for my base 15 Comp Orange PP GT with Recaros. Car had 30k miles on it. That was by far the best trade offer I received in the last two months.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I recently got just over 25 trade in for my base 15 Comp Orange PP GT with Recaros. Car had 30k miles on it. That was by far the best trade offer I received in the last two months.
That is a good offer.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Basically if you can fit them in a 4 door car, i say go find something used and keep the mustang, they are going to offer you in the low 20s for it.

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport

Again, it varies by state. Every state is different. I know that for me, here in VA, it does not work like that. Here, regardless of the trade in, you pay tax on the full price of the purchase vehicle BEFORE any rebates. I've sold my last three cars at carmax and yes, I probably could have gotten more if I'd sold them privately but it's not worth my time and effort to go through that. Carmax makes it easy, you're in and out in an hour with a check in hand and you know that it was all processed correctly and legally.
I've found that selling my car ahead of time rather than trading it in on a new car has made the dealership experience much less painful. You are basically taking away one of the tools they use to screw you.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium 50 Years Package
I've sold Carmax in Naperville two cars and both times they were better than what the dealer offered including value of sales tax (IL). Both times it was equal to or even a few hundred dollars more than KBB excellent condition. My cars always look very clean, but they did have normal road chips, maybe 1-2 small scratches on rims, etc. overall good experience. I would always get a CM quote as a benchmark. Good luck!

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
my guess is that they'll offer between $28k-$30k for the trade in.

bumada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
I have an appointment set up with CarMax on Friday for an appraisal. Black 2016 Base GT w/ PP and 12,500 miles. I'll report back on the number they give me. I'm hoping around 25-25.500. Side note, if anyone is looking for a new mustang...
Sponsored