Sponsored

If Ford offered an Automatic in the GT350, Would you be interested?

Would you consider buying an Automatic GT350

• Yes, I would consider purchasing an Automatic GT350

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • Yes, I would consider a DSG type Automatic GT350

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • No way. I only want a Manual in my GT350

Votes: 113 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've never been a fan of any type of an Automatic transmission. Basically if it will shift gears without any driver input, I consider it an Automatic. I do believe that the DSG is a better than a traditional slush box so I included that as a choice in the poll.
If the only thing I was doing with my car was time trials - and even then only if I was actually competitive - I might go with a DSG. But that is the only situation I can envision for ever wanting to drive anything but a conventional 3-pedal manual transmission car.

That includes the daily drivers . . . and since my wife still feels the same way concerning transmission type does that mean I get to cast two votes for the manual even though she probably wouldn't care to drive a GT350?

Norm
Sponsored

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Explorer
Petal2Metal

Autos in sports cars are for old men, girls and pussies.
Using your reasoning, wouldn't POWER steering, POWER brakes, POWER windows
also be for softies? Bet you haven't disabled any of these features on your car!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Using your reasoning, wouldn't POWER steering, POWER brakes, POWER windows
also be for softies? Bet you haven't disabled any of these features on your car!
power brakes are good. I'm a little irritated that I can't buy a new GT350 without power steering and power windows, though. ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's going to be faster than the manual....
Even if it would be . . . so what? You won't be able to go around the corners any faster or stop any better (probably not quite as good). If you don't understand that, you don't understand the GT350 itself.

I know I wouldn't buy an automatic anything even if it was good for whole seconds quicker ET's than its otherwise identical twin but with MT. Let alone a GT350. It wouldn't be worth the sacrifice in fun.

Norm

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Even if it would be . . . so what?

It wouldn't be worth the sacrifice in fun.

Norm
Ford Performance named that way for a reason. Otherwise they may as well name it Ford Fun

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The only time I went with an auto over a manual (unless the latter was not offered) was when I bought the F250 for towing a enclosed car trailer.

It wasn't for performance or gas mileage or anything else. It was to make it easy on me while manipulating the trailer into that odd paddock spot at the track.

In any case arguing over which is "better" is pointless and hugely dependent on your definition of "better".

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
In any case arguing over which is "better" is pointless and hugely dependent on your definition of "better".
I agree... some people just don't understand that its possible for others to have different opinions because what they place value on is different.

Sponsored

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
I would have never thought I would ever write this myself...but I am voting for the automatic option as long as it matches some of the better DCT's there are on the market today. If they would put something equivalent like a Porsche 911 PDK, it would be fantastic. All my previous sports cars were manuals and I love a good shifter but I also believe we all agree that the GT350 and the R version even more so, are serious track cars, right ? A good automatic transmission would make it even a better one IMO. Ever seen a manual car winning a serious race event recently ?
And after all if both manual and automatic would be available..everyone could make his choice...and everybody would be happy...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford Performance named that way for a reason. Otherwise they may as well name it Ford Fun
I'm not seeing what the name of Ford's aftermarket entity has to do with this discussion . . . but I do know that for me the straight line advantages of an automatic aren't worth losing what I'd be giving up and what I'd have to put up with in order to get it.

Norm

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I'm not seeing what the name of Ford's aftermarket entity has to do with this discussion . . . but I do know that for me the straight line advantages of an automatic aren't worth losing what I'd be giving up and what I'd have to put up with in order to get it.

Norm
Ford Performance is now what all the performance divisions are called (SVT, Ford Racing, etc) so its not just the parts division anymore its the vehicles, the race division and the parts.

I too am a fan of the manual but these new automatics are faster not only in the straights but in the corners too.. If i was only concerned about lap times i'd have one, if driving enjoyment is more of a priority (which it is) than i'll keep my manual

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Explorer
power brakes are good. I'm a little irritated that I can't buy a new GT350 without power steering and power windows, though. ;)[/QUOTE

Ok, but next time you go to cars and coffee, I would advise you not
to say to a Lambo, Ferrari, or McLaren owner what you wrote!
(you know, about autos in sportscars.)

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ever seen a manual car winning a serious race event recently ?
Outside of Nascar's pair of road races each year, perhaps not. But the top-shelf racing series aren't running 6R80-style automatics either.

And after all if both manual and automatic would be available..everyone could make his choice...and everybody would be happy...
For the short run, perhaps. But I have to wonder if the GT350 can sell in big enough numbers to justify both transmission types. The Corvette (apparently 70% now fitted with AT) sells 10,000 - 20,000 total a year compared to how many GT350s?

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited: