Sponsored

What impact will it have on 6-speed sales that PP is no longer exclusive to manuals?

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I would get either manual or auto. I do like manual a lot and enjoy rowing through gears and stuff, but I'm more of an opinion of avoiding the auto because of the durability and service (rebuilding, which is annoying).

Not that the MT82 is very durable, but I prefer to be in control of things. For the S650, I don't know, I might get an auto.

Sales of the manual will definitely go down, I'm guessing for about a third or so. I know some folks that have gotten the manual just to get the "better performing" PP. With transmission not being a factor anymore most of the auto driving enthusiast group will just go auto PP and not look back.
Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
If my car was a weekend machine I would of went with the stick. On occasion I drive to work using 202W to I-10W which is usually in gridlock. . .automatic is the only way
to commute in traffic.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
*sigh* I should have known this is what the thread would devolve into. Welp, when in Rome...

I have a feeling 2019 will be the last year of the Manual Transmission for the Mustang.
If so, I'm grabbing a 2018-19 GT w/ Manual and keeping that forever.

Sad because it was always cool to say that your car was a stick shift and knowing that the other person most likely couldn't operate it lol. But technology is favoring the lazy so I can see why Auto is going to take over.
Depending on the return, I would just about bet my life that the manual option in the Mustang will last well beyond 2019. If anything, I think the V8 option is far more likely to die.

not sure what you mean by retain their value.. they wont be worth more than an auto. the demand is higher.. but yes there are people that will just want a manual.. they usual are priced so close to each other there is no noticeable difference.. like factory the auto is what 1200 more? when dealing with cars 25-40k thats not much difference. i dont believe they will be discontinued just wont sell as much.. i enjoy both auto and manual.
Check the used prices for almost any sporty car that is available with both an auto and a stick.

Manuals are always more expensive (at least relative to initial cost) for the reasons covered in this thread to this point... as well as the fact that with the steady progression towards the death of the manual, cars with a stick are beginning to build some collector value to some people (although this is not as big of a factor with a high-volume car like the Mustang).

I understand that some of you prefer autos for various reasons, and that's fine, but don't try to give us alternative facts about why autos are superior... There are still some legitimate advantages remaining for stick shifts. And no, it's not all about "manliness". Tell that to women at the track and see how fast you get slapped upside the head.

The manual isn't dead but it's necessity for a performance car is fading away. Most advanced super cars are flappy paddle machines. This will become more evident when hybrid performance vehicles become commonplace in the market. Manufacturers aren't going to spend all that money developing a performance hybrid just to hand the gear selection over to a human.
And for what its worth I've run my automatic over the road course several times and it did just fine. It would have done even better in PP trim.
No one reasonable would argue that a manual is faster than an automatic. That's not where a manual gets its value, nor has it been for the past decade.

Last edited:

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Nah, the S650 will still have manual. The demand will still there.
I think you are correct. There will always be an interest in manuals. My daughter drives a manual, my son drives a manual, my wife has to drive a manual, if she wants to drive the car.

My daughters first words to me when I told her I was buying a new mustang..... "Its a manual, right Dad?":amen:

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
When I ordered mine the PP was not available on convertibles. I still ordered the manual. So from my perspective there will always be people that prefer it (manual) in a sports car, even one where the top goes down.

I would suspect that GT convertibles with a manual are the rarest of the available engine/body combos. Dealers don't stock them.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
like said already the only people still wanting manuals are the ones that just like the novelty or think it makes them more manly. its like a "shaker hood" it does almost nothing just gets in the way of boost.
That's some really stupid logic and ignorant assumptions there.

Manual transmissions provide just as much performance as an auto for everyday drivers. You are talking 10ths of second differences between the two so I'm not sure what fantasy world you live in. Secondly, some people enjoy the engagement of selecting gears using a clutch because it DOES provide a better driving experience. 3rd, manual transmissions are cheaper to own, easier to work on which means more to some people but you probably are someone who buys their built cars so it wouldn't mean anything.:lol:

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
On topic, I would bet yes, manual sales will take a hit. How much we will have to see. Figure I should add something to the discussion that was started lol.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Well manuals offered better performance and fuel economy, then computers came along and matched 90% of the performance. Now automatics offer better performance and fuel economy. Other than NASCAR, none of the major racing series use manual transmissions. I'm probably still going to buy a manual GT once the 2018's come out, but if the 10 speed offers a significant performance boost and fuel economy advantage over the 6 speed then I might be tempted. I remember one of the TG USA episodes where Tanner tested the new Vette and was not even close to matching his automatic time in the manual Vette despite his insistence that he would be able to.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
How much do you think the percentage of Stangs sold with sticks will decline?

It was a couple years ago now, but I remember reading (back for the S197 platform) that nearly half of all Mustangs sold had a stick. I doubt that percentage has gone down too much even through 2017, but I haven't been able to find those numbers. (Maybe someone who's tried to shop manual Mustangs on the used market has some idea.)

It's conjecture, but I always thought a sizable part of that was probably the fact that you had to get a manual in order to get the performance pack, and now that that's no longer true...

EDIT: The purpose of this thread isn't to start an auto v manual argument. I'm really just wondering what your thoughts are on how sales %s will be affected near term. (And also curious if anyone knows what those numbers look like right now.)
I think the % of manual Mustangs is slowly trending downward anyway, PP or not. Manuals are not for everyone and each of us has his/her own reason for buying what we buy. A manual in slow heavy traffic is a pain in the ass. But on an open road with twists and turns, a manual is more fun, IMO. Seems like more people are gravitating to urban centers and with that, I think manual sales will suffer.

But for me and my family, we are manual drivers and probably always will be to some extent....:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I was disappointed, but not surprised, when I saw that they will be keeping the MT-82. That transmission is why I traded my 2016 after 3 months for an auto. That after driving a manual transmission car for the past 8 years. I would love to have the option for the Brembo's/transmission cooler/suspension combined with the auto transmission.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
FWIW I've had a very pleasurable experience with my MT82. Stock shifter, clutch, and all. It's still a better trans then the T45's, T5's, and TR3650's from back in the day.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Do we know for sure that the MT-82 is making a return in the 18? From everything they've said it seems like it will be a Tremec.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
*sigh* I should have known this is what the thread would devolve into. Welp, when in Rome...

Depending on the return, I would just about bet my life that the manual option in the Mustang will last well beyond 2019. If anything, I think the V8 option is far more likely to die.

Check the used prices for almost any sporty car that is available with both an auto and a stick.

Manuals are always more expensive (at least relative to initial cost) for the reasons covered in this thread to this point... as well as the fact that with the steady progression towards the death of the manual, cars with a stick are beginning to build some collector value to some people (although this is not as big of a factor with a high-volume car like the Mustang).

I understand that some of you prefer autos for various reasons, and that's fine, but don't try to give us alternative facts about why autos are superior... There are still some legitimate advantages remaining for stick shifts. And no, it's not all about "manliness". Tell that to women at the track and see how fast you get slapped upside the head.

No one reasonable would argue that a manual is faster than an automatic. That's not where a manual gets its value, nor has it been for the past decade.
i literally just looked in my area for 13-14 mustang gt and can see no real difference in prices between auto and manual that cant be given to condition.. granted the choices of manuals was less.. but thats a given..

and some people do prefer stick because they think its cool or manly its a fact i have seen.. is this the only reason? duh no...

the whole point is will this affect sales on 6 speed PP? answer.. yes.. how much? we will see.

i drive a manual and have for awhile.. i also had an auto.. both are fine and there are moments when i want auto and moments when i want manual..

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Maybe I'm confused on what exactly that change would involve, but the shifter itself is pretty nice in the MT82, IMO... Some grinding in a cold 6th gear notwithstanding.

It's the clutch that needs a lot of help. That plus I think I kind of hate the behavior of automatically opening the throttle as you start to engage the clutch.
Sponsored