Sponsored

2017 Mustang Gt 350 Bad Valve Spring now Damaged in shipment by Ford update with Pics

OP
OP

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor 2017 GT 350R 2017 GT 350(sold) 2014 GT(Sold)
Man that sucks! Was that from Autonation Scottsdale? If so how much ADM did you drop on that if you don't mind me asking?
I really don't want to say but it was a very good deal based on all the ADM's I have seen. I didn't pay MSRP but it was not much more.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate the thoughts. I am not unhappy with Ford or any of the dealers involved. My main concern was what should I do about it as I am not familiar of how bad a broken valve spring is in the grand scheme of things. Based on the feedback it sounds like its not a big deal.

I think what I will do is get it fixed and as long as all they find is a bad valve spring in the process (no valve dropped or hit the piston or metal shavings everywhere things like that) I will just head back out and get it and drive it home. If it makes it 2000 miles its probably ok. Ill ask Ford to help me out with some travel expenses and maybe an extended warranty not sure they will but it would give me some peace of mind.

I love the car and I love Ford. I have only owned Fords believe it or not. I have had 4 mustangs 3 explorers a T bird and a F-150.

Thanks again.

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
I really don't want to say but it was a very good deal based on all the ADM's I have seen. I didn't pay MSRP but it was not much more.
I respect that! I only ask because in the past they offered to sell it for $5K ADM. Wasn't interested. Saw them a month later and asked if they would do sticker and same sales guy said they were standing firm on 10K. I shook my head and said good luck. Glad you did better! Those blue stripes make black really attractive.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
My long term concern is what are the odds your car hasn't been rev'd over 5000rpm now? I would be nervous about joy rides, especially from across the country and at a no-name shop (which actually may or may not be a better place than a dealer).
I feel for you and above is your biggest concern. The reason why everyone bought or is interested in the gt350. That 8000+ rpm.

I would definitely worry about every part of this situation!!
I went through this and of course more problems. Not the dealers car and guess what a major joy ride by dealer idiots created some issues mechanically and screwed up paint. Now I have been fighting with Ford and dealership on a resolution for over 12 weeks now with nothing but finger pointing. A huge mess.

And by the way ford has always been nice to me but guess what? No resolution and per their words "we are wiping our hands of this and this is a dealer issue"
Why? Because Ford claims car was abused. Car was revved to 7700rpm before computer kicked in while oil was less than 200 degrees. And guess who's possession the vehicle was in? The dealer.

Lots of horror stories and I'm living one as well.

Be careful. Think it through. And don't let the dealer have it too long. Big money. Big decision. Good luck and use your head on this not your heart. I used my heart and now paying for it.

Sponsored

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
When I get back from my deployment and can assess the condition of my car, that maybe an option.

I am pointing out that there are issues with the line that it seems others are either ignoring or forgiving Ford for.

I an not a Brand Fanboy. I can see past Brand Names and make logical comparisons. I didn't buy this car because it was a Ford and not a Chevy, that comparison means nothing to me.

I bought it because of what Ford said it was about. As a customer of the car do I not have a right to be upset with Ford for not delivering on the expectations that they advert

Issues related to the GT350 (remember there are not as many of these on the streets as other Mustangs):

Paint Issues
Fitment issues most notably the rear bumper
Dealers not installing the front splitter correctly
Oil Filters shaking themselves loose
Heat issues (mainly Tech/base but I believe track owners have reported higher temps also)
Several Transmissions
at least 1 engine loss
this thread is about a valve spring

I know that the Oil Filter and Splitter issues are the Dealers and not Ford, but they are the certified service center. They are backed by Ford, they should be doing it right.

I'm sure there are more but I this list make the point.

And the way people are being handled by Ford isn't consistent either, in some cases Ford is more than helpful in others it takes weeks to get answers.
Agreed! 500%

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
It had 14 on it.
More importantly, how many when you left it? Lotsa good advise and things to consider already.
Mitigate any further damage as best you can while it's across the country at the dealership. Assurances that a test drive only after you get there.. Anything else you can think of.
Also, hope you got your suitcase from the trunk:lol:
Good luck

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Unfortunately, over revving doesn't show up on the odometer. Not that that was the cause in this case.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I really appreciate the thoughts. I am not unhappy with Ford or any of the dealers involved. My main concern was what should I do about it as I am not familiar of how bad a broken valve spring is in the grand scheme of things. Based on the feedback it sounds like its not a big deal.

I think what I will do is get it fixed and as long as all they find is a bad valve spring in the process (no valve dropped or hit the piston or metal shavings everywhere things like that) I will just head back out and get it and drive it home. If it makes it 2000 miles its probably ok. Ill ask Ford to help me out with some travel expenses and maybe an extended warranty not sure they will but it would give me some peace of mind.

I love the car and I love Ford. I have only owned Fords believe it or not. I have had 4 mustangs 3 explorers a T bird and a F-150.

Thanks again.
When they change your oil and they find a bunch of crap in the oil, don't freak out. It is completely normal to find bits of orange and blue sealant in the first oil change.

Just to give you some idea, look at this thread http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58639&highlight=gt350+oil+change

I saw more crap than that. I sent a sample off to blackstone labs and had the oil analyzed and it came back normal for a first oil change at about 1000 miles.

FWIW

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I bought a new 2017 Mustang GT 350 while on a business trip in Arizona. Call me crazy I know but it was a killer deal on one and it was exactly what I wanted. I figured I would just drive it home. Cross Country trip in a GT 350 sounded awesome and what could go wrong. Should not have said that...

... I called Ford and they have been very helpful so far but I am wondering what I should do. Should I keep the car and get Ford to help me get it to Charleston and cover my travel and maybe ask for an extended warranty or should I try and return the car.

Glad to learn you’ve already involved the CRC, bwilliams.

Call your selling Dealer and let them know what happened. I would also contact DEYSHA on here (Ford Service) and let her expedite your claim to your Regional Rep which will bump the priority on your vehicle to "urgent"...
It looks like he’s already had his case escalated, Cobra Jet. Thank you for the support!

Deysha

Sponsored
OP
OP

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well some good news from my end. The tech tells me that the valve spring was cracked and not totally sheered (not entirely sure if that's possible but it could be).

The day after I got home I contacted Ford Customer Service and I have to say that while I was disappointed in the issue with the car Ford's response has been nothing short of amazing.

I was immediately escalated to a regional support manager. They took over managing the repair of the car with the local dealer in AZ. Ford also stepped up and had the vehicle shipped to me here in SC and they also gave me an extended warranty on the vehicle.

The car is supposed to be here Monday and I am excited to see it again.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Whoa. Very impressive on Ford's part. Good to hear this.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Well some good news from my end. The tech tells me that the valve spring was cracked and not totally sheered (not entirely sure if that's possible but it could be).

The day after I got home I contacted Ford Customer Service and I have to say that while I was disappointed in the issue with the car Ford's response has been nothing short of amazing.

I was immediately escalated to a regional support manager. They took over managing the repair of the car with the local dealer in AZ. Ford also stepped up and had the vehicle shipped to me here in SC and they also gave me an extended warranty on the vehicle.

The car is supposed to be here Monday and I am excited to see it again.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.
So happy to hear this. Sh*t breaks but it's about how the dealer and Ford handle it that is key. Looks like both did the right thing. Great to hear. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Glad to hear a happy ending and that Ford stepped up to the plate. Enjoy your ride .

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Unfortunately, over revving doesn't show up on the odometer. Not that that was the cause in this case.
You cant over rev this motor. Fuel cutoff is 8250 unless engine oil temp is not warm enough. Do you mean over rev as is holding specific RPM???
Sponsored