2017 "R" $8K over, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roycemek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I will wait a bit more and see if they go down further. If I decide not to pursue it any more, I'll gladly let the forum members that are interested have the lead.
I'm still looking for that elusive R. PM sent.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I am thinking that you could get a 2016 R for 8000 dollars or less over MSRP if the dealer and salesman knows you well. There are smaller town dealers who have a great deal of respect for their customers. Some of those dealers have made enough money over the years and know that a good reputation for fair deals will allow them to make more money by actually selling more cars than making money on just one car.
To your point I would suggest that not all but most MSRP deals are made between customer and dealer who have had some sort of relationship whether it be short term or long term.

I know in my case I was able to secure 2 MSRP deals just by having a great relationship with a couple of dealers that I have built up a strong rapport with.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP

Macstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500
Hello,

Thought I'd post up an update. I kept on top of the dealer and when the owner of the dealership returned, supposedly he called Ford Performance or whoever they talk with about these things and confirmed it was a real allocation. The final offer was slightly upped to $10K over, which was my mental maximum for the car. I agreed. They asked for a $5K deposit which I made and we finalized the order. I did make a color change and I found a small error, they left off the black roof. My salesman said he couldn't find that option on the order however a day later, he was able to find it and send me a final order to sign. I did and the order is placed.

I still don't think it's real. I have a "VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION" document which looks real but I don't know if I can use that to track this with Ford. I visited something I found here called COTUS however when I put in the matching info from my VOC it just says "No matching vehicle found. Please verify your input and try again."

Do any of you guys know how to see these orders with Ford? Or, how long do you think it would take before the dealer either realizes they don't have an "R" allocation or by some miracle, they do and I'll be buying this car in a few months.

Thanks for any input you have,

DM

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Hello,

Thought I'd post up an update. I kept on top of the dealer and when the owner of the dealership returned, supposedly he called Ford Performance or whoever they talk with about these things and confirmed it was a real allocation. The final offer was slightly upped to $10K over, which was my mental maximum for the car. I agreed. They asked for a $5K deposit which I made and we finalized the order. I did make a color change and I found a small error, they left off the black roof. My salesman said he couldn't find that option on the order however a day later, he was able to find it and send me a final order to sign. I did and the order is placed.

I still don't think it's real. I have a "VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION" document which looks real but I don't know if I can use that to track this with Ford. I visited something I found here called COTUS however when I put in the matching info from my VOC it just says "No matching vehicle found. Please verify your input and try again."

Do any of you guys know how to see these orders with Ford? Or, how long do you think it would take before the dealer either realizes they don't have an "R" allocation or by some miracle, they do and I'll be buying this car in a few months.

Thanks for any input you have,

DM

You're in luck. Try this version of cotus, instead...and the order tracking one, too.

http://wwwqa.cotus.ford.com
http://wwwqa.ordertracking.ford.com

Those work for me when they come up. Sometimes they come up to a login screen - you just need to keep trying with new browser windows.

Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Paying ADM is not 'a good deal'. Dealers are absolutely raping people over these cars. I can't believe there are so many getting taken. Take out a home equity loan (ala 2006) for the ADM too lol.

Give it a year, so many things you can do with $10-15-20K.

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Paying ADM is not 'a good deal'. Dealers are absolutely raping people over these cars. I can't believe there are so many getting taken. Take out a home equity loan (ala 2006) for the ADM too lol.

Give it a year, so many things you can do with $10-15-20K.
religious beliefs aside...factually it could be a good deal if most R's are selling for larger ADM's...it, essentially, means that you are paying under market...which, I believe, is the definition of 'good deal.'

I understand 'Rated R's sentiment, but she's factually wrong.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
religious beliefs aside...factually it could be a good deal if most R's are selling for larger ADM's...it, essentially, means that you are paying under market...which, I believe, is the definition of 'good deal.'

I understand 'Rated R's sentiment, but he's factually wrong.
Given the current market of course, in which you guys are like sharks in a feeding frenzy in participation. Some of you guys are so out of hand, throwing any thread of rational thought out the window. You guys need an intervention lol. You're feeding each other with emotional justification.

History repeats itself with these SE Mustangs, the future does not bode well for those who voluntarily choose to pay ADM now. The resale market will not support it like the Ford GT, Porsche GT3's, various Ferraris etc. ZL1's and Z/28's are right around the corner as well. They will perform better than the GT350's. When that happens dealers will want these cars off the lots. But you know, it's only money, 'merica, none of your business and all that. :doh:

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Given the current market of course, in which you guys are like sharks in a feeding frenzy in participation. Some of you guys are so out of hand, throwing any thread of rational thought out the window. You guys need an intervention lol. You're feeding each other with emotional justification.

History repeats itself with these SE Mustangs, the future does not bode well for those who voluntarily choose to pay ADM now. The resale market will not support it like the Ford GT, Porsche GT3's, various Ferraris etc. ZL1's and Z/28's are right around the corner as well. They will perform better than the GT350's. When that happens dealers will want these cars off the lots. But you know, it's only money, 'merica, none of your business and all that. :doh:
I have no idea what you mean when you say "'merica" and I don't understand what your emoji means. (I also don't understand why people use emoji's instead of words)

I'm coming at this, btw, from the perspective of paying MSRP-or-less for my R...so your shark / feeding frenzy reference probably doesn't hold any water (pun intended...and pointed out for your benefit).

Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I have no idea what you mean when you say "'merica" and I don't understand what your emoji means. (I also don't understand why people use emoji's instead of words)

I'm coming at this, btw, from the perspective of paying MSRP-or-less for my R...so your shark / feeding frenzy reference probably doesn't hold any water (pun intended...and pointed out for your benefit).
Well if you paid sticker or below I'd say you did just fine. But I'm sure you've read many threads here that have made it real easy for dealers to sell over sticker after the poor saps read them and went shopping.

And emoji's have been around for a good five years now. They're used mainly to express emotion. You should probably get used to them, they'not going anywhere...;)

Last edited:

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS

The Ford GT, GT3 and every Ferrari (pre Enzo) dropped substantially in price 2-3 years after production. Yes, they've gone back up - but a lot of people paid and lost 30,40,50,60K on those cars if not more (even paying sticker.)

I remember GT3RS's weren't selling (997.1) version in the peak of the "recession" and could be had for under 90K. The air cooled (65-98) market drove speculators to seek the next collectible and hear comes the GT3 and specifically GT3RS. Now, the market is way oversaturated and they just don't sell (go to Cars.com, Ebay, Auto Trader and they sit for months after months)

Ferrari's - how much was a 355,360,430,550,575 new? Those cars lost 50-70% of their MSRP in a short time - and again - speculators came in and propped up the 550/575 as the next big front engine V12 and within the last year prices have double if not tripled. You can buy a low mileage 360 Vert for under 90K. That was a 182K MSRP car - and that's a BASE MODEL. That's 225K in today's money w/inflation.

The Boss 302 however, new was under 50K, the LS slightly more - and they are selling at 15-30% less than what they stickered at. They hold their value quite well in my opinion.

There's no doubt the R's will come down in price in the used market 2-3 years from now. There's no doubt those will sell their R's to get the next best thing in their opinion. . but we all have spent money on vacations, eating out, whatever tickles your fancy - and that is not permanent. A car can be permanent, you can take a mental vacation in a car, enjoy time with like minded people at the track, at the show, at coffee - and that is worth every penny in my opinion.

PS, don't even get me started on the Z/28, that car brand new on the show room has dropped 30% in price and they still aren't moving. I should pick one up - but pricing will get even cheaper, as you said - the new one's around the corner :cheers:

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
The Ford GT, GT3 and every Ferrari (pre Enzo) dropped substantially in price 2-3 years after production. Yes, they've gone back up - but a lot of people paid and lost 30,40,50,60K on those cars if not more (even paying sticker.)

I remember GT3RS's weren't selling (997.1) version in the peak of the "recession" and could be had for under 90K. The air cooled (65-98) market drove speculators to seek the next collectible and hear comes the GT3 and specifically GT3RS. Now, the market is way oversaturated and they just don't sell (go to Cars.com, Ebay, Auto Trader and they sit for months after months)

Ferrari's - how much was a 355,360,430,550,575 new? Those cars lost 50-70% of their MSRP in a short time - and again - speculators came in and propped up the 550/575 as the next big front engine V12 and within the last year prices have double if not tripled. You can buy a low mileage 360 Vert for under 90K. That was a 182K MSRP car - and that's a BASE MODEL. That's 225K in today's money w/inflation.

The Boss 302 however, new was under 50K, the LS slightly more - and they are selling at 15-30% less than what they stickered at. They hold their value quite well in my opinion.

There's no doubt the R's will come down in price in the used market 2-3 years from now. There's no doubt those will sell their R's to get the next best thing in their opinion. . but we all have spent money on vacations, eating out, whatever tickles your fancy - and that is not permanent. A car can be permanent, you can take a mental vacation in a car, enjoy time with like minded people at the track, at the show, at coffee - and that is worth every penny in my opinion.

PS, don't even get me started on the Z/28, that car brand new on the show room has dropped 30% in price and they still aren't moving. I should pick one up - but pricing will get even cheaper, as you said - the new one's around the corner :cheers:
I've made money on a GT3 and a scant few other cars. I suppose I used the higher end Euro cars as an example for this reason.

I get it, and I understand and agree with many of your points. It is the reason why I won't pay ADM on something I don't have to. I'd rather buy a new dirt bike, a new track bike, take the family on vacation, landscaping etc. Anybody should spend their money in any way they choose. But they need to know that if they pay ADM on a Mustang, the depreciation starts at sticker and goes down from there. The period of time where they don't is fleeting.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Does anyone LIKE to pay ADM? I dont think so. 10k to you may be like 100 bucks to me, or 10 to others, but thats still a loss. Its just that the 100 and 10 loss isnt that big of a deal. Its all in perspective. Thats why some people pay it and some dont. Ill be getting 2 with adm...i know its money thrown out, but its something i dont even think of. Its money lost and long gone. It took me all of a couple days pay and it was enjoyable work.
No problem at all.

Edit: I'm not rich, but by perspective, i mean what is the money worth to the individual.
To me, i had a cap on what the car was worth to ME and im under that figure WITH adm.

Last edited:

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does anyone LIKE to pay ADM? I dont think so. 10k to you may be like 100 bucks to me, or 10 to others, but thats still a loss. Its just that the 100 and 10 loss isnt that big of a deal. Its all in perspective. Thats why some people pay it and some dont. Ill be getting 2 with adm...i know its money thrown out, but its something i dont even think of. Its money lost and long gone. It took me all of a couple days pay and it was enjoyable work.
No problem at all.

Edit: I'm not rich, but by perspective, i mean what is the money worth to the individual.
To me, i had a cap on what the car was worth to ME and im under that figure WITH adm.
What kind of a thinking is this? So rich have to be stupid then? Ever heard of Warren Buffett? I recommend you read his books and you may learn a thing or two.

This has got nothing to do with being rich. You are either wasteful or you are conservative. You are either responsible or irresponsible. These are personality traits. Whether the medium is money or toothpaste or left over food is irrelevant.

Do you leave food on your plate and throw it out or do you pack it for next meal? I earn high 6 figures and live in a 7 figure home but I never throw my food, never do idiodic burnouts with my cars and waste hundreds of dollars of worth tires. You see? Its all about one's perspective and their character and the upbringing they have had, it has absolutely nothing to do with how much money you have. This is all typical byproduct of 21st century westerner spending mentality.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.