Status
Not open for further replies.

Macstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500
Hello,

A few months ago I was here often, reading as much as I could and trying desperately to buy a GT350R. Honestly I gave up because I just didn't feel that it should be that hard to buy a car - and at thousands over MSRP. Also, with the new ZL1 coming and rumors of a new Z/28 I kind of thought maybe the whole market would come down a bit and it wouldn't be so hard to get a GT350R.

Well, out of the blue, a dealer I went back and forth with a few months ago emailed me. He asked if I wanted to price a 2017 so I sent him my build. He hit me back with a Ford WBDO document showing the MSRP of the car and a second email saying I'd pay about an $8K premium over MSRP.

My first question is, do you think this is for real? I'm jaded from reading about $20K or $30K or more ADM's on R-model cars. Why would a dealer sell for such less than that when there seem to be so many willing and able buyers who will spend these large amounts of money? I suppose the juxtaposition on that is that there are stories of people here getting R's at no or very little ADM. The whole think kind of defies logic. I'd think the market would dictate the price and all cars would fall into the market price +/- a small percentage but not the wild $0-$60K swing in prices you read about online.

My next question is, could it go south after there is a deposit in place? Again, back when I was a frequent visitor to this forum, I saw plenty of posts where people made deposits but the dealer was later unable to get the allocation. What happens now days if that occurs? Do all the dealers know how hard it is to get an "R" allocation? Should I even bring that up to avoid a surprise later if I'm dealing with an undereducated sales rep? And how long does it take before the dealer knows that their order won't be allocated?

My last question is, do you think the car is worth it? I realize this one may be the hardest to answer. I also realize the responses here will be wildly biased. Does the performance of other cars change the landscape? With a possible new Z/28 lurking, what would that do to the GT350R if the Z surpasses it in the magazine testing? Does that even matter? Does it affect ADM or resale or one's own perception of value? I know this is veering off course a bit. I think what makes it hard is that it's not something I can buy today...I've got to wait, what, 8 months? More? and it's hard to know what the car market will be like then. So it's a roll of the dice.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

DM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
For real? Maybe. It's in an email which is a pretty solid indication of reality.

Could it go south? Maybe. Until a sales contract is signed it's anybody's guess.

Worth it? Maybe. Worst case you could sell the car for what you bought it for.

I say do it. I would if I were you.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
If not then tell the dealer to give me that R allocation for 8k over.... I'll promptly send a deposit tomorrow morning. :D

I think you know my recommendation on what to do if I were you... ;)

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Yeah, I'd take that order myself too.

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Lightning Blue on the way
Make sure the dealer is referring to an R allocation. If so, $8K over is a steal compared to what these are typically selling for. eBay auctions are closing at ~ $100K. Play it cool, put down a deposit, and ask for the agreement in writing at $8K over.

As for value, this car is and always will be incredibly rare and the competition won't change that. It will likely never depreciate below MSRP and if bought this well should appreciate instantly.

Take a look at what a 993 Turbo/S sells for. 20 years later and those cars have doubled in value. The right car purchased at the right price doesn't need 50 years to become a collector's item.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Same deal here. I did it so should you :)

I called on a couple and promptly found insane pricing. Of course, now that I have secured one, the stock market is sure to collapse and these things will be everywhere at a discount :headbonk:

The Cobra R's I've owned were all bought used and at a discount from new but they didn't depreciate much. It's not like this is an investment, it's for fun.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I bet you any amount of money it's not a R Model..
You could be right. This wouldn't be the first story we've heard about a green salesperson trying to sell a non-R as an R. Either not knowing the difference or thinking that the r for registered trademark is the R that is being sought after.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
That would be my assumption too. If it's actually an R, I'd definitely do it. You can easily get your money back if for some reason you have remorse.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The ZL1 and next Z28 will most likely be faster. If you're looking for the fastest car, then this may not be the car for you. If you are looking for a completely unique driving experience, something that would be hard to duplicate for less than $100k, probably more, then this is it. The experience is worth ADM, IMHO. I would do it.
P.S. Look at the Jay Leno's Garage episode with his R. I just watched it last night. Wow

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
A pretty easy decision in my books.

I suggest that you get everything in writing on dealership letterhead outlining all aspects of this transaction after which time the dealership will be able to enter your order based on the way you want it built.

Once your order is entered into the order banks ask for a copy of the VOC (vehicle confirmation order) which will confirm your name, dealer number, all options as ordered and MSRP pricing subject to your options.

You will also get a priority build code on your VOC.

Once you have your VOC I suggest that Ford Performance can confirm your order as entered based on the information provided on your VOC.

If you do not want to proceed I am sure that are many including Bossing that will.

Good luck with your decision!

:cheers:

OP
OP

Macstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500
Thank you for all the input guys. All great stuff. I did decided to proceed however today is this sales rep's day off so I get one more day to mull this over and make sure I'm comfortable with the decision.

I believe many of you may be right in that this sales rep may be unaware of the vast difference in rarity between the R and the non-R. The WBDO he sent is 100% for a 920A. The MSRP on this WBDO is $67,845.

I don't know enough to know if just any dealer can get one, I seem to recall this business about allocations and dealers having to buy three GT350's for every GT350R that they can get.

I will report back tomorrow after I've spoken with the dealer and attempted to put money down.

Thank you all...

DM
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.