Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP ingot silver
  • Banned
So let me start out by saying this is my first high HP manual transmission rwd car. The accident I'm about to explain was 100% my fault no excuses and I underestimated how much power this car makes and its handling capability.

So I was driving on an onramp that turns slightly right then goes forward to get on the highway. As I was on the ramp before the turn I slowed down to 40 and put it into 3rd gear. It had been raining earlier so the roads were still damp. Well as I came into the turn I gave it about 60-70% throttle on the ramp where it took a slight right and all of a sudden I lost the backend of my car and maneuvered it straight again but the passenger side hit the wall pretty hard.

The rear quarter panel is scuffed up and the two passenger side wheels are scraped up and the car is all out of alignment. There is also a weird dent by the quarter panel but popping outward not in as if something behind the quarter panel hit it outward. Should I be worried about the damage? I know it's hard to tell without taking a closer look but I am extremely sad and upset at myself for letting this happen as I usually am not one to do crazy stuff in this car.
IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
fix it, live, learn. It could be much worse and we got these cars to enjoy them so don't let this scare you away from really enjoying the car in the future. Maybe only in dry conditions though

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
fix it, live, learn. It could be much worse and we got these cars to enjoy them so don't let this scare you away from really enjoying the car in the future. Maybe only in dry conditions though
Thank you! I definitely learned a good lesson tonight. I need to respect this car much more.

On a side note I do hear that these pirellis on the PP have horrid traction issues in damp/wet conditions. I really didn't feel like I should have lost control so easily as I have taken tha turn even faster in my Jeep Wrangler -.-

Last edited:

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Don't blame the tires for your lack of ability to drive.

Also, traction control would of saved you if it was on.

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Don't blame the tires for your lack of ability to drive.

Also, traction control would of saved you if it was on.
I'm not blaming the tires, but had I read before I would have been more careful.

Also I didn't turn off traction control so I don't know where you came up with that.

Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
i have 6500 miles on my PP PZeros and the rear tires are balled. I haven't spun the tires once. I do accelerate hard at time, but never spun the tires once. I even took it in for a four wheel alignment after I discovered the rear tires were balled... alignment was well within stock specs. these tires are garbage... OP, but if you would have had the driving mode in wet, you would not have hit the wall... sorry, but im glad you aren't hurt

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
Really? The guy just wrecked his car and took responsibility for it and you are going rag on him? It must be nice to be perfect.

VeloLisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Really? The guy just wrecked his car and took responsibility for it and you are going rag on him? It must be nice to be perfect.
I was just thinking the same thing. Way to kick a guy when he's down. :tsk:

Sorry about your car, 5.0Steve. That sucks. Glad you're okay.

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Glad you're safe, OP. I'm in the same boat, first powerful car for me so I take it super slow and easy. I give it very little throttle when I drive (like 10%, no joke) because it's like 50 degrees here and often pretty damp.

For the driving experts, aside from driver mod, what car mods make this thing handle better in the wet? Would say, a pair of Michelin Pilot AS/3s help quite a bit? I'm not talking about ragging it, I'm talking about driving sensibly but changes to the car to make it even safer than stock stuff.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
So let me start out by saying this is my first high HP manual transmission rwd car. The accident I'm about to explain was 100% my fault no excuses and I underestimated how much power this car makes and its handling capability.

So I was driving on an onramp that turns slightly right then goes forward to get on the highway. As I was on the ramp before the turn I slowed down to 40 and put it into 3rd gear. It had been raining earlier so the roads were still damp. Well as I came into the turn I gave it about 60-70% throttle on the ramp where it took a slight right and all of a sudden I lost the backend of my car and maneuvered it straight again but the passenger side hit the wall pretty hard.

The rear quarter panel is scuffed up and the two passenger side wheels are scraped up and the car is all out of alignment. There is also a weird dent by the quarter panel but popping outward not in as if something behind the quarter panel hit it outward. Should I be worried about the damage? I know it's hard to tell without taking a closer look but I am extremely sad and upset at myself for letting this happen as I usually am not one to do crazy stuff in this car.
Man, so sorry to hear it... totally depressing! This car has a ton of power, so you really have to be careful. After you get it fixed up I would use rain/snow mode whenever you think it is suspect out and find an empty parking lot and practice. Things can get out of control quickly, so the more you can react instinctively it will give you that much of an advantage. So glad to hear that you are not hurt, that is what really matters as cars can be fixed or replaced! Take it easy out there and apply the throttle linearly, a little more at a time, until you get a feel for it. Also make sure it is fully in gear before amping up the throttle, shifts are one area where you can really lose traction quickly if you give it more throttle than it needs and pop it in gear.

Best of luck to you and, again, bummer to hear! Hope this is the last time!

Sponsored
OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, so sorry to hear it... totally depressing! This car has a ton of power, so you really have to be careful. After you get it fixed up I would use rain/snow mode whenever you think it is suspect out and find an empty parking lot and practice. Things can get out of control quickly, so the more you can react instinctively it will give you that much of an advantage. So glad to hear that you are not hurt, that is what really matters as cars can be fixed or replaced! Take it easy out there and apply the throttle linearly, a little more at a time, until you get a feel for it. Also make sure it is fully in gear before amping up the throttle, shifts are one area where you can really lose traction quickly if you give it more throttle than it needs and pop it in gear.

Best of luck to you and, again, bummer to hear! Hope this is the last time!
Thanks! I don't have rain mode on my base PP I don't think?? Anyways the damage didn't seem bad I just hate the idea of having a brand new car needing work done on it. Anyways you live and learn, I definitely will be more careful next time

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I looked at the tirerack.com data for PP PZeros. Good (warm weather) dry traction, satisfactory (not the best) wet traction. Generally speaking, you don't want to throttle into a curve of any sort, esp on wet pavement. Unless you are an expert. Most aren't even if they like to think they are. Wait until you are pointed straight, with no cars around you. Give it WOT. And if the back end loosens up, clutch, and it will right itself. You will probably see the tach jump, and the Traction Control light flash on the console after the fact.

Nothing to do now except let your insurance and local paint & body do its magic. :eek:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Glad you're safe, OP. I'm in the same boat, first powerful car for me so I take it super slow and easy. I give it very little throttle when I drive (like 10%, no joke) because it's like 50 degrees here and often pretty damp.

For the driving experts, aside from driver mod, what car mods make this thing handle better in the wet? Would say, a pair of Michelin Pilot AS/3s help quite a bit? I'm not talking about ragging it, I'm talking about driving sensibly but changes to the car to make it even safer than stock stuff.
Really the tires make a huge difference. I am not a tire expert, so I cannot give full advice here, but in cold or wet it is almost all tires and driver skill. The skills take a long time to develop, so be patient and try to drive within your current abilities! Always assume that you are about to lose traction (because you probably are in this car) and be ready for anything. Rarely should you punch it and turn the wheel at the same time, asking for trouble.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
photos please ! Some of us lead lives of quiet desperation :faint:

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Really glad you're fine and sorry to hear about the car man. Hopefully you can still enjoy the car after the repairs.

And this right here...

Well as I came into the turn I gave it about 60-70% throttle on the ramp where it took a slight right...

Man.. I'm nervous as hell giving it any throttle on a turn or even a slight turn sometimes lol.

Good luck though man and hope you're back on the road in no time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sponsored