Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Feel bad but not terrible.
Feel lucky.
Many of us made similar mistakes in judgement... And car control...
Glad you are ok and no one was hurt.

Prolly gonna get flamed on this but here goes...

Learning vehicle control in the wet is desirable where the speeds and energies involved are lower. But not on public roads....

One of the most entertaining parts of driving a Stang is tossing the rear out.
But how do you learn about vehicle behavior and limits and car control?
Empty WET flat asphalt parking lot. No light poles. Large preferred.
Not on ramp. Near traffic.
Honest lack of foresight on how violent it can be.

Next time rear comes out (small amounts at first! And in a wet parking lot):
take foot off gas and let go of the wheel. Rear will jerk back inline and you apply brakes.
Repeat. Lots. At low speed.
Stopping the front wheels from "castering" deepens spin.
"Helping" the wheels to caster will decrease spin -aka steering into spin.

To keep speeds low you can decrease traction.
Go inflate rear tires to 44psi to keep the speeds down.
Or take a couple tubs of lard, tire shine, soap etc and grease a corner of the lot up.

You shouldnt get up to more than 20 mph starting from 0.

Oh yea.. So what the heck is caster.
Front of car is kinda like a shopping cart. Wheels will automatically turn to line up with direction the cart is pushed to go.

In your wreck:
If you hit the passenger side, I am guessing the rear stepped out to the left and you didnt let the steering wheel slide in your hand to the left. Your clenched grip in the surprise moment kept the wheels from turning to the left by themselves. Thus driving you into the wall on right. It happened very quick.

This effect of the wheels lining themselves up with direction of travel is called caster.
Look at front of shopping cart. Notice how the axle the wheels roll on is actually always behind the pivot point when traveling forward.
The larger the distance, the higher the caster. This can also be measured as an angle measured from the vertical axis the wheel "casters" on.

So go learn to toss the car around. Just dont do it around people or in traffic or ....
Dont feel too bad. There are many professional drivers that tore up some cars when they were younger making similar or worse decisions.
Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
For every post like this there is always someone with good info or food for thought. Although i daily drive my 07 in all types of weather the newer cars are a step up in power and that needs to be respected.
I had a similar time where going up an on ramp to an overpass i lost control. It was a right hand turn up to the overpass and im not even shre if it was wet or overly cold or anything but the back end went loose and it kept drifting to the left and i find myself looking at the sidewall of the bridge. I was able to correct myself but the big shift anf the drift from the backend meant i was quickly going into the next lane. I caimught it quick enough and it was late enough at night that not many others were on the road. It odd because i didnt take the turn as fast as i had before, and in general i was only going 30 or so and i dont think i shifted mid turn, but every time i go on that ramp i grandma it now.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
It is better to practice car control with a crappy car than to learn it with a nice/high hp car. This time it was just you who was inconvenienced, in the future you (or others) may not be as lucky.

Find an old miata with a diff and start going to drift events.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Steve - It is a car. It can be fixed. No one was hurt. Now you understand the power your car has. Anyone on this site who claims to never make a mistake is a liar. Hell I wrecked my mom's Riveria with a 455 cid the first day I got my drivers license. I'm sure you have kicked your own ass enough. Learn, live, enjoy.

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Doesn't look too bad in the pics, could have been a disaster! Glad you are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP ingot silver
pictures of damage is up....honestly I hit the wall pretty hard and I think the bulk of the damage was absorbed in the suspension as it is severely unaligned so will have to see if anything is broken there.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I still wished the traction control could be more capable. Seems like it's not doing the job catching and stopping the slide.
Looks like OP's tires are still new so that could be the problem. Manual says drive gently for the first 200 miles for the tires to scrub in and heat cycled.

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still wished the traction control could be more capable. Seems like it's not doing the job catching and stopping the slide.
Looks like OP's tires are still new so that could be the problem. Manual says drive gently for the first 200 miles for the tires to scrub in and heat cycled.
relatively new. They have 500 miles

Sponsored

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
For every post like this there is always someone with good info or food for thought. Although i daily drive my 07 in all types of weather the newer cars are a step up in power and that needs to be respected.
I had a similar time where going up an on ramp to an overpass i lost control. It was a right hand turn up to the overpass and im not even shre if it was wet or overly cold or anything but the back end went loose and it kept drifting to the left and i find myself looking at the sidewall of the bridge. I was able to correct myself but the big shift anf the drift from the backend meant i was quickly going into the next lane. I caimught it quick enough and it was late enough at night that not many others were on the road. It odd because i didnt take the turn as fast as i had before, and in general i was only going 30 or so and i dont think i shifted mid turn, but every time i go on that ramp i grandma it now.
Cold tires

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
So let me start out by saying this is my first high HP manual transmission rwd car. The accident I'm about to explain was 100% my fault no excuses and I underestimated how much power this car makes and its handling capability.

So I was driving on an onramp that turns slightly right then goes forward to get on the highway. As I was on the ramp before the turn I slowed down to 40 and put it into 3rd gear. It had been raining earlier so the roads were still damp. Well as I came into the turn I gave it about 60-70% throttle on the ramp where it took a slight right and all of a sudden I lost the backend of my car and maneuvered it straight again but the passenger side hit the wall pretty hard.

The rear quarter panel is scuffed up and the two passenger side wheels are scraped up and the car is all out of alignment. There is also a weird dent by the quarter panel but popping outward not in as if something behind the quarter panel hit it outward. Should I be worried about the damage? I know it's hard to tell without taking a closer look but I am extremely sad and upset at myself for letting this happen as I usually am not one to do crazy stuff in this car.
Sorry to hear about it but glad no one was hurt. This is not my first HP car but it is the first with summer tires. The Pirelli's may not be the best tires around but they do handle fairly well in the summer time, at least for my style of driving. I quickly learned how loose the back end could become on cold days here in NY, once that temp started to drop below 50 deg I was spinning my tires at just about every turn, and I was driving casually. Luckily I park the car for the winter and don't have to worry about it but I can see how easy it would be to lose control of the car just driving in cold weather, factor in damp roads and you better be granny driving....

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't be that bad. OP lives in Miami.
definitely, although i think i caught the wrong day...It had been raining all day earlier and was actually pretty cold in the 50's

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Glad you're safe, OP. I'm in the same boat, first powerful car for me so I take it super slow and easy. I give it very little throttle when I drive (like 10%, no joke) because it's like 50 degrees here and often pretty damp.

For the driving experts, aside from driver mod, what car mods make this thing handle better in the wet? Would say, a pair of Michelin Pilot AS/3s help quite a bit? I'm not talking about ragging it, I'm talking about driving sensibly but changes to the car to make it even safer than stock stuff.
Yes, better tires like those will make a huge difference.
Sponsored