Sponsored

Why don't Mustangs have sunroofs?

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
You are incorrect, all three have have sunroof options. Google can solve this prior to erroneous statements
I stand corrected. I wish the mustang would be offered with a sunroof I would scoop it up

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Offering loads of options requires extra costs in tooling and manufacturing which leads to higher costs per unit which leads to higher prices.

jagerx9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5
The bean counters couldn't make it work. Let's be honest there are plenty of serious sports cars that have sun roofs, however...

Ferrari 360 Modena
Porsche 911
Lotus Esprit
Multiple AMGs
BMW M3/M4
Camaro zl1
Mitsubishi Evo
I think you mean they can be optioned to have one. Out of the cars on your list that I'm familiar with, they are either an addon or a deletion. In the case of the M3, it's either a CF roof or a sunroof.

What I'm saying is if Ford can only handle one option in that area, it'll likely be the sportiest one given the statement the s550 is trying to make.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Offering loads of options requires extra costs in tooling and manufacturing which leads to higher costs per unit which leads to higher prices.

I agree with this and the odds are they've done surveys and have figured out that it isnt worth the expense...Its the only thing that makes sense because in the end its about profit (which is great). I want them to make a profits so they can keep putting out great cars for reasonable (subjective) prices.

I do know many people that will spring for a 1k sunroof when checking off the options box. In addition I know plenty who dont want to pay 5k for a convertible but would welcome an easier and cheaper solution to get more air and sunlight into the car. To me it isnt about the additional money for a convertible. Its about the road noise and the all or nothing solution of a convertible that I dont want. I may end up with a convertible but its far from the optimum solution for me. You cant crack a convertible top to get fresh air in the slight drizzle or cold.

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
I think you mean they can be optioned to have one. Out of the cars on your list that I'm familiar with, they are either an addon or a deletion. In the case of the M3, it's either a CF roof or a sunroof.

What I'm saying is if Ford can only handle one option in that area, it'll likely be the sportiest one given the statement the s550 is trying to make.
Yes Im talking about options...I would like to see an option available for the Mustang. Im dreaming but a sunroof is almost a "requirement" for some of us.

It is what it is and I can go buy an Evo if I dont like it...Im justing "wishing" out loud on this forum.

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
I would definitely be in for a sunroof - have one in my beater Accord and it's always open if the weather is 60-85 - great at letting air in at highway speeds without the torrential accompanying wind. 'Verts have too many drawbacks to list and are really for a different audience, IMO.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I would definitely be in for a sunroof - have one in my beater Accord and it's always open if the weather is 60-85 - great at letting air in at highway speeds without the torrential accompanying wind. 'Verts have too many drawbacks to list and are really for a different audience, IMO.
I agree with the imaginary man.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Man, all you turtleback guys have it wrong. (Turtleback = hardtop owners)
You have never been witness to the exhilaration of driving a SRA drop top down a winding, bumpy road and knowing, just knowing that the chassis and body will flex and move.....somewhere. :eyebulge: You just don't know where or when. It definitely make for a butt-clenching experience. :lol:
In all seriousness though I'm a ragtop lover. I've raced in my younger years but now I don't mind the trade of not reaching the ragged edge to enjoy the wind in what little hair I have left.

13GTCSMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR/GT/20's/NAV
I'd choose the moonroof option if it were offered. I too like that open air feeling without buying a vert. Never been a fan of a vert since I got rid of my '74 MGB vert. Oh well, we'll see what Ford comes up with.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
I have had 2 convertibles and loved having the open air, but no so much the vagueness in the chassis. I currently have a sunroof and love the flexibility -- glass roof, open roof, closed roof -- all at the touch of a button.

With the S550, I would LOVE to see a sunroof (well, actually a glass roof, but that is a different story), but I think the bigger issue is the cut lines in the roof. To put a sunroof in would completely destroy those lines and probably cause some sealing challenges (though I am not in that industry, so I can't say for sure).

Unfortunately, this will make aftermarket sunroofs a challenge as well, which is the bigger problem if you ask me. If Ford didn't want to offer the option themselves, fine, as long as aftermarket sunroofs would work cleanly. With those cut lines, that isn't possible anymore in my book (at least visually). Consequently, I am disappointed they figured haveing some lines in the roof which no one will see was more important than allowing a clean sunroof option--even if that was through the aftermarket.
Sponsored