Sponsored

Which Oil Filter? FL-500S or FRPP FL-820?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Anyone that wants the best price on the ford racing filter [MENTION=9199]LevittownFordSuperCenter[/MENTION] per case of 12 or individually. Pm Benny for quotes! The price will blow your mind. Amazon has nothing on those guys
Sponsored

LevittownFordParts

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
S550's!

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
So as mentioned the bypass for the 500S is set @ 8 psi; on the FL820 it's set at twice that (16 psi). Ford's V8 5.0L & V6 3.7L use a lot of oil for their Ti-VCT, variable valve timing. The FL-500S's lower bypass ensures there is plenty of flow to the head.

Did the Ford tech comment on the difference in bypass pressur?

Last edited:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
So as mentioned the bypass for the 500S is set @ 8 psi; on the FL820 it's set at twice that (16 psi). Ford's V8 5.0L & V6 3.7L use a lot of oil for their Ti-VCT, variable valve timing. The FL-500S's lower bypass ensures there is plenty of flow to the head.

Did the Ford tech comment on the difference in bypass pressur?

Lower bypass mean its stops filter oil sooner. The ford racing kicks its ass in flow even before going into bypass.
however the
oil viscosity during the Ford Racing filter delta-p test is missing, which is an important factor. Ive been given good reason to believe these amazing results were achieved with 5w50. However i regrettably cant say by whom. Youll be hard pressed to find a better filter.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
Lower bypass mean its stops filter oil sooner. The ford racing kicks its ass in flow even before going into bypass.
however the
oil viscosity during the Ford Racing filter delta-p test is missing, which is an important factor. Ive been good reason to believe these amazing results were achieved with 5w50. However i regrettably cant say by whom. Youll be hard pressed to find a better filter.
Thanks for your reply.
It certainly appears to be the better filter, just concerned with the flow @ start up and high rpms. The filter is bypassed to ensure greater flow, so my question is whether there are negative effects when the pressure differential is greater than 8 psi and less than 17 PSI.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If you are worried, you can use the standard 820. Id use a fram ultra xg2, amsoil or pureone (in comparable size) before i did that though. I cant see you having any issues with the ford racing filter.

BOBS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Auto Race Red
This is RBS550`s dad he is busy working long hours at nuke plant, but he is using the Ford Racing oil filter with Mobil 1 5W20 and has over 20K on his stang mostly pulling a trailer to drag strips and NMRA races.I could not even count the 1/4 miles passes shifting at 8K and no problems been racing and using this oil and FMS filter for the last 16K miles. I also use it but my car has not seen the action his has:thumbsup:
RB road trip.jpg
Norwalk (2).jpg

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

LevittownFordParts

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
S550's!
Saves 7 bucks over Amazon on the base price, but almost 12 bucks for shipping?
We ship Fedex and their minimum is somewhere around 11 dollars but I understand how this one purchase may not be cost effective.

I am sorry we do not ship USPS

-Benny

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
We ship Fedex and their minimum is somewhere around 11 dollars but I understand how this one purchase may not be cost effective.

I am sorry we do not ship USPS

-Benny
No worries. I appreciate the response. You've got great prices, and you'll always be in consideration for any of my Ford Performance needs. It's tough to beat Amazon when it comes to Prime and free shipping.

Sponsored

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Was debating over oil filters up until I saw this thread...thank you for confirming my decision :thumbsup: sounds like the FRPP filter is a significant improvement. I'll be pairing it with 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Has anyone found a better price for the filter other than Amazon?

LevittownFordParts

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
S550's!

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
If you're concerned about the cold start oil pressure, allow your car to warm up properly before you take off.

Definitely good information in this thread.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I use Tasca for my Ford Performance needs, they ship USPS.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Does anyone know how much extra oil capacity the bigger FRPP filter has? I imagine the engine would take slightly more than 8 quarts to fill now.
Sponsored