Wheel Spacers. 20mm or 25mm?????

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Don't forget the "Before and After" pics...:thumbsup:
I'll try.

Regarding the TQ for the spacers, I'm damn sure the brochure that came with them had a ridiculously low # (like 15 or 45 maybe) but I'll confirm tonight.
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

I am pretty sure at the time, the consensus for those spacers was 120lbs.

Yep, look at post #498 in this thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38710&page=34

"@Midnight_LMR When I talked to Lenny on the phone he told me the spacer will handle factory torque but he felt it was high and recommended 120 for both or 120 spacers, factory for wheels. I went 120ish for spacer's with blue loctite and 140ish for wheels."

I went 120 all the way around.
I called them and they told me to tighten all to 150ftlbs...reluctantly, I did tighten all of them to factory spec. I was scared as hell for the hub to spacer, the factory studs felt soft for some reason, but the wheel to spacer was alright, barely any stretch at all.

The spacers are good quality, specially the studs they use...the Ford factory studs, I don't know, they've always felt soft, even without the spacer and using factory lugs and wheels.

If anything, I'll have the change the studs at the hub in the future, they feel way softer than the spacers.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
So the instructions that came with the spacers say to torque them to only 30 ft/lbs which is very low ... maybe a typo and s/b 130?

I think I'll go 100 - 120. Either way, the back of the wheel will be up against the face of the spacer so there's no way the spacer nuts will be able to loosen up much I'd think, although until I put the spacer on I won't be able to see how much it can loosen the nuts up.

Oh, I also weighed 1 spacer (25mm) on a kitchen scale and it came to 2 lbs 7 oz so almost 2.5 lbs.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
So the instructions that came with the spacers say to torque them to only 30 ft/lbs which is very low ... maybe a typo and s/b 130?

I think I'll go 100 - 120. Either way, the back of the wheel will be up against the face of the spacer so there's no way the spacer nuts will be able to loosen up much I'd think, although until I put the spacer on I won't be able to see how much it can loosen the nuts up.

Oh, I also weighed 1 spacer (25mm) on a kitchen scale and it came to 2 lbs 7 oz so almost 2.5 lbs.
For us Canadians, maybe its 30 meter/kilograms....:shrug: :lol:

But seriously, that has to be wrong. That's no much tighter than hand tight. Well, maybe a little.:)

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

I am pretty sure at the time, the consensus for those spacers was 120lbs.

Yep, look at post #498 in this thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38710&page=34

"@Midnight_LMR When I talked to Lenny on the phone he told me the spacer will handle factory torque but he felt it was high and recommended 120 for both or 120 spacers, factory for wheels. I went 120ish for spacer's with blue loctite and 140ish for wheels."

I went 120 all the way around.
That's impressive if they can take the factory (150 Lb Ft) torque. I talked to Lenny quite a bit too. He was very knowledgeable about spacers, that's for sure and if he says they are rated for that, I'd certainly believe him. That's much better than the Coyote wheel adapters that AM sells. When I talked to him, he wasn't aware we were limited to 23mm for the spacers. I took the measurements and gave them to him.

I would have gotten in on the group buy but at that point I figured I wouldn't have the wheel adapters on long as I was actively seeking new wheels with correct offset. If I end up using my stock PP wheels through winter and want to keep using the wheel adapters, I guess I probably should've gotten those. :headbonk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
i'm running 25s all around and also lowered an inch. no rubbing at all and fits great.

http://imgur.com/a/IcnEl
Looking at this pic, it looks like the rears are sticking out a bit past the fender? If so, by how much. I have a CS with stock wheels and have 20mm coming. Lookng at your pic, I think I made the right choice for me, as I didn't want any sticking out..:)

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah, that's ^ what I'm afraid will happen with the 25's on the rear.

Be aware though that with the 20 mm I understand that you'll need to cut a bit of your lugs off (3 mm I believe). 23 mm is the smallest you can go withOUT cutting the lugs if I'm understanding previous posts correctly.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Looking at this pic, it looks like the rears are sticking out a bit past the fender? If so, by how much. I have a CS with stock wheels and have 20mm coming. Lookng at your pic, I think I made the right choice for me, as I didn't want any sticking out..:)
Good luck with those 20mm adapters. Please be very careful, you don't want to ride on it with your wheels tightened down against the lugs rather than the hub. A long time ago there were some that got 20mm adapters and said they fit. Then they found out the lugs were actually up against the wheel. The tolerance is very close, they're only too long by about 1-2mm. Some put the wheels on, couldn't tell so they left it, later they found it was hitting. Unless you know your pockets on your wheels are deep enough or you're modifying the lugs, I'd recommend putting something on the end of the lugs to see if it transfers to the wheels when you test fit. I do hope it works for you, 20mm would be better fit IMO.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Wouldn't you be able to tell after putting ONLY the spacers on if the stock lug is protruding past the spacers face? Just run a straight edge along the spacers face to see of it catches on the lugs tip or not. Right?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't you be able to tell after putting ONLY the spacers on if the stock lug is protruding past the spacers face? Just run a straight edge along the spacers face to see of it catches on the lugs tip or not. Right?
It will definitely protrude past the spacers face quite a bit. There are pockets on the back of the stock wheels and some aftermarket wheels that will allow for extra. The problem is the pockets aren't deep enough.

Even with the 25mm adapters the studs stick out past the face of the adapter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
^ Gotcha ... so the lugs protrude normally past the spacer's face. The question is do they protrude more than the pockets will allow such that the spacers face and the wheels face are not flush with each other ... ergo the need to put paint or something on the lug tips, mount the wheel tight, then un-mount them and see if the paint transferred over to the wheel pockets.

I got this now. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Yeah, that's ^ what I'm afraid will happen with the 25's on the rear.

Be aware though that with the 20 mm I understand that you'll need to cut a bit of your lugs off (3 mm I believe). 23 mm is the smallest you can go withOUT cutting the lugs if I'm understanding previous posts correctly.
Good luck with those 20mm adapters. Please be very careful, you don't want to ride on it with your wheels tightened down against the lugs rather than the hub. A long time ago there were some that got 20mm adapters and said they fit. Then they found out the lugs were actually up against the wheel. The tolerance is very close, they're only too long by about 1-2mm. Some put the wheels on, couldn't tell so they left it, later they found it was hitting. Unless you know your pockets on your wheels are deep enough or you're modifying the lugs, I'd recommend putting something on the end of the lugs to see if it transfers to the wheels when you test fit. I do hope it works for you, 20mm would be better fit IMO.
Thanx for the "Heads Up" about the lugs guys. :thumbsup:

I will check/measure before installing. if I have to grind/cut a little off the lug ends, that's no biggie either.:)

I am in no hurry to install anyway. With our winters, its probably gonna be late April to early May before I drive my car again anyway....:doh:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanx for the "Heads Up" about the lugs guys. :thumbsup:

I will check/measure before installing. if I have to grind/cut a little off the lug ends, that's no biggie either.:)

I am in no hurry to install anyway. With our winters, its probably gonna be late April to early May before I drive my car again anyway....:doh:
If you have to cut the lugs, maybe you could put a die on the lug, cut it then turn the die back off it? I've heard people doing that with an open end lug nut.

Either way, best of luck. Sad you can't drive it for so long.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
If you have to cut the lugs, maybe you could put a die on the lug, cut it then turn the die back off it? I've heard people doing that with an open end lug nut.

Either way, best of luck. Sad you can't drive it for so long.
Good idea.... Thanx :thumbsup:

As for not being able to drive so much, it's kinda nice that every spring, I will be getting excited about my car all over again. :D

I go out to my garage and check on her at least once every day ...:love:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I still take mine out if it's 4 Celsius or above and there's no wetness on the road ... traction is pathetic though with the summer Pirellis - no WOT unless I want to fishtail.
Sponsored