Sponsored

What would make you sell your Mach?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
fordmustang1969-20211221-001-2.jpg

This could make it a more difficult decision.
Sponsored

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Lighting XLT, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
Just went and bought fireworks for tomorrow. I pulled up and the guy running the stand walks up and says "I have the deal of the day for you, everything in the tent is yours for your Mach 1!" Tempting offer, but I decided to keep my Mach 1 LOL!

cmashark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1-JFG, 6spd
I couldn’t imagine getting rid of it, but wouldn’t mind adding more toys to the garage. My only issue with my Mach is the sound system. It’s trash and the people that designed and approved it shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣 joking but it is horrible.

HoosierJTF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm trying to sell it right now. Hopefully will get a Shelby some day as I feel the Mach 1 will just keep depreciating to nothing.

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm starting to consider selling since I'm getting married and buying a house next year... Thinking about trading for a GR86 or something with lower running costs as that would let me pocket a good $15-20k for savings/investments and still have something fun/economical. Am I crazy for considering doing this?

Plus my car has had an engine misfire twice over the last month (completely randomly, it seems like) which isn't something I feel good about. Idk if it's just gremlins or what but I'll be taking it in to get looked at next week.

I would really miss the V8 rumble but I'm questioning if it's responsible to keep mine around long-term, all things considered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Obsidian

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
I'm starting to consider selling since I'm getting married and buying a house next year... Thinking about trading for a GR86 or something with lower running costs as that would let me pocket a good $15-20k for savings/investments and still have something fun/economical. Am I crazy for considering doing this?

Plus my car has had an engine misfire twice over the last month (completely randomly, it seems like) which isn't something I feel good about. Idk if it's just gremlins or what but I'll be taking it in to get looked at next week.

I would really miss the V8 rumble but I'm questioning if it's responsible to keep mine around long-term, all things considered.
I don’t think it’s a crazy thought. You know what is best for your situation. I love the concept of the 86 myself but I just couldn’t get over the engine. Did a wrench light pop up letting you know about the misfires?

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels

Not slamming you here, but I'd be pretty cautious on the GR86. Oil pressure starvation under moderate G resulting in blown engines. Baffled oil pans have not solved the issue, root cause is still unknown. Not to mention the RTV sealant problem in the oiling system. I like the car especially the looks of the Subaru version, but even with the GEN 2 engine, its underpowered and this oiling issue is not good.

Its hard to give up the V8, I did for a time for a beautiful blue Audi S5, supercharged V6. I over boosted mine to get ~380ish HP, stock is 333HP, very fast DCT transmission. That car was QUICK off the line, and very efficient on using all the tires, it also had the sport differential. All that said it never provided that visceral full body experience the V8s do. This is a matter of personal preference, there isn't a wrong answer but I missed it too much and wanted a V8 back. My point is there is high potential for some expensive regret here, and if the point is to pocket 15-20K, I'd slow down a bit.

I would try to work a deal with one of the car rental services like Turo where you rent someone else's privately owned car. Get an 86 for a few days before making this big decision, they are going to be very different experiences. Carmax might have one of those buy it and return it within a week or 250miles deals....

Didn't look at used pricing but if you really like this gen mustang but want lower running costs what about the 2.3L HP PKG Mustang?

Other cars more similar to GR86/BRZ would be ND Miata.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR Supra Matte Storm Gray Metallic
If I could get a 2022 code orange GT500 with tech package and handling package and arrive at same current payment amount or very close to it, I would probably do that. I am teleworking more now than I did in the past so the work driving wouldn't be as bad on gas consumption.
I'd love a Twister Orange GT500(21) if I had the extra funds or would've thought more about the minimal increase in price I'd have just done that.

Really though I'm beyond happy with my choice and how it worked out. I don't think I'd honestly really want to get rid of the car, although, I haven't had a chance to ride or drive a GT500 either so that could very easily sway me in an instant.

MX915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500, 2022 Mustang GT Premium
I'd love a Twister Orange GT500(21) if I had the extra funds or would've thought more about the minimal increase in price I'd have just done that.

Really though I'm beyond happy with my choice and how it worked out. I don't think I'd honestly really want to get rid of the car, although, I haven't had a chance to ride or drive a GT500 either so that could very easily sway me in an instant.
Not trying to influence you, but I went from a 22 Mach to a 22 GT500. Let me just say they're two completely different cars. Even just after pushing the start button, you know there is something different and special about the 500.

With that being said, I do miss the Mach a lot. But not enough to give up the 500 for one. Maybe in a few years I can convince the wife to let me have another toy (actually she'd probably be on board. She loved the Mach too).

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Not slamming you here, but I'd be pretty cautious on the GR86. Oil pressure starvation under moderate G resulting in blown engines. Baffled oil pans have not solved the issue, root cause is still unknown. Not to mention the RTV sealant problem in the oiling system. I like the car especially the looks of the Subaru version, but even with the GEN 2 engine, its underpowered and this oiling issue is not good.

Its hard to give up the V8, I did for a time for a beautiful blue Audi S5, supercharged V6. I over boosted mine to get ~380ish HP, stock is 333HP, very fast DCT transmission. That car was QUICK off the line, and very efficient on using all the tires, it also had the sport differential. All that said it never provided that visceral full body experience the V8s do. This is a matter of personal preference, there isn't a wrong answer but I missed it too much and wanted a V8 back. My point is there is high potential for some expensive regret here, and if the point is to pocket 15-20K, I'd slow down a bit.

I would try to work a deal with one of the car rental services like Turo where you rent someone else's privately owned car. Get an 86 for a few days before making this big decision, they are going to be very different experiences. Carmax might have one of those buy it and return it within a week or 250miles deals....

Didn't look at used pricing but if you really like this gen mustang but want lower running costs what about the 2.3L HP PKG Mustang?

Other cars more similar to GR86/BRZ would be ND Miata.
Well put! I almost ordered a new M2 until I heard the exhaust… I’d be giving up the best part of the car! And it would’ve cost me dearly for the disappointment.
As far as renting any new , popular car to test drive… good luck

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Not trying to influence you, but I went from a 22 Mach to a 22 GT500. Let me just say they're two completely different cars. Even just after pushing the start button, you know there is something different and special about the 500.

With that being said, I do miss the Mach a lot. But not enough to give up the 500 for one. Maybe in a few years I can convince the wife to let me have another toy (actually she'd probably be on board. She loved the Mach too).
I’m thinking seriously about doing the same thing. I would like to have them both, but I really want a Shelby.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Sigh... if I can't shift I don't want it, which eliminates pretty much 90% of our options.

We live in a neighborhood with a bunch of car guys. BMW's everywhere, a Lambo, an Audi R8, C7's and C8's, you name it. There's not one of their cars I'd trade this for.

I know I'm in the minority here but, GT500, blah... I just cannot ever imagine driving an automatic performance car. Also in this area I've been the only Mach for almost 2 years now and there are GT500's out the wazoo. There are 5-6 of them just in our local Mustang club. I would SO much rather be able to afford to put a blower on my car than drive a GT500. Also, it almost looks like Ford is just trying too hard, just looks like an EB with some aero. I prefer the GT350 appearance and if money was no object and given a choice I'd take a GT350 all day over a GT500.

Priced a 2024 GT PP1 today at $61K with the options I'd want and thought damn, my 2018 GT that I paid $34K for would not lose to that thing. Priced a DH with the options I'd want at $71K and thought damn, $11K more than my car and with my E85 tune, my car would not lose to that thing. Is it me or do those black hood graphics on the DH look tacky?

If you put a gun to my head and said pick any automatic car you want and give us your Mach 1, I'd probably take a C8 Z06. The only car I can think of whose sound I prefer to my car.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Sigh... if I can't shift I don't want it, which eliminates pretty much 90% of our options.

We live in a neighborhood with a bunch of car guys. BMW's everywhere, a Lambo, an Audi R8, C7's and C8's, you name it. There's not one of their cars I'd trade this for.

I know I'm in the minority here but, GT500, blah... I just cannot ever imagine driving an automatic performance car. Also in this area I've been the only Mach for almost 2 years now and there are GT500's out the wazoo. There are 5-6 of them just in our local Mustang club. I would SO much rather be able to afford to put a blower on my car than drive a GT500. Also, it almost looks like Ford is just trying too hard, just looks like an EB with some aero. I prefer the GT350 appearance and if money was no object and given a choice I'd take a GT350 all day over a GT500.

Priced a 2024 GT PP1 today at $61K with the options I'd want and thought damn, my 2018 GT that I paid $34K for would not lose to that thing. Priced a DH with the options I'd want at $71K and thought damn, $11K more than my car and with my E85 tune, my car would not lose to that thing. Is it me or do those black hood graphics on the DH look tacky?

If you put a gun to my head and said pick any automatic car you want and give us your Mach 1, I'd probably take a C8 Z06. The only car I can think of whose sound I prefer to my car.
I agree with you Mike, and to be honest most of the Shelby’s Im looking at are the 13-14 mainly. The one thing that changes my mind is driving the Mach. I really enjoy it, and my want of a Shelby stems from my youth.

We have a BMW, and I have never driven it. That thing does nothing for me, it takes up a space on the garage. As far as the new 500, they are nice and my drag racing past really wants one, for the raw punch it and go power.

More than likely, I will keep my Mach, and add a classic down the line or when I cannot row the gears anymore.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I agree with you Mike, and to be honest most of the Shelby’s Im looking at are the 13-14 mainly. The one thing that changes my mind is driving the Mach. I really enjoy it, and my want of a Shelby stems from my youth.

We have a BMW, and I have never driven it. That thing does nothing for me, it takes up a space on the garage. As far as the new 500, they are nice and my drag racing past really wants one, for the raw punch it and go power.

More than likely, I will keep my Mach, and add a classic down the line or when I cannot row the gears anymore.
Agreed. The 13–14 GT 500 would be great, but if you took away the snake badges, and both cars had a supercharger, hard to imagine that the driving experience would be much different.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. The 13–14 GT 500 would be great, but if you took away the snake badges, and both cars had a supercharger, hard to imagine that the driving experience would be much different.
The 13-14 is the last of the straight axle so it would be all over the place. The 550 is a much better driving platform for all around use.
Both are great cars and Im not taking anything away from my Mach, it’s a fun car to drive. Like you said, they are not seen as much as the Shelby’s on the road or shows.
Sponsored